mach ii

ggarcia

mach i assumed that we would draft at #5 or maybe six. as it turns out, we are getting more and more injured and our record reflects the situation. if the season ended today, we would be picking #3. miami and st louis both have tougher schedules than us, so it is very possible that we end up with the #2 pick this year.

for the sake of argument, let us assume that we trade crumpler to oakland for andrew walter and the rights to daniel fells. i say walter only because the fo was interested in him earlier this year. fells is a throw in but may be groomed as a big wr.

jake long will be the most sought after guy among the three top teams in the draft. miami has no offensive linemen and the rams are living a nightmare without orlando pace. this mock will include atlternaties at the first and second picks. it is impossible to say that we will land long, so i might as well mention an alternative plan. here is goes (sorry brohm lovers, you won't like it):

1 jake long (lt, michigan). huge athletic and quick. some say that he can't handle the quick rushers. i have not seen any evidence to back that up. long is tough and should hold down the spot for next decade. if he is off the board, our choice is glenn dorsey (dt, lsu). dorsey is big, strong and aggressive. he is the foundation of the lsu defense and will be a star in the nfl.

2a red bryant (dt, texas a/m). another big man that is quick. he had a knee injury and i have not seen him play this year. he was a monster last year and is still highly rated by draftniks. alternative: tony hills (lt, texas). hills is smaller (305lbs) but is extremely quick and a very good pass blocker. he should be able to protect the backside just fine.

2b jonathan stewart (rb, oregon) i am using the gbnreport for rankings and i was surprised to see stewart rated this low. he is the ideal compliment to norwood.....230lbs with 4.4. speed. he is averaging something like 7 yards per carry.

3 roy schuening (og, oregon state). big and built like a brick crap house. he may not be the prospect that hutchinson was, but that is who he is compared to very often. this guy is the best og in the draft and he may drop to the third round. we take him, if miami doesn't.

4 ben moffitt (mlb, so florida) big and quick. this guy is a player. brooking is on the downside of his career so it is time to look ahead. moffitt at mlb and his former teammate nicholas at wlb.

5 brandon coutu (k, uga). big leg with good accuracy. he has played in the highly intense climate of the sec, so he is ready to handle the stress. thank you morten, but we need to get younger.

6 doug legursky (c, marshall). we need to get bigger and stronger at center. mcclure keeps his starting job for one or two more seasons, but doug will push him.

7 jonal saint-dic (de, michigan). we need depth at de. this kid can rush the passer, so we give him a shot.

what is up with jake long? i am hearing some doubts about him. is he another robert galllery? i have to make it a point to watch more michigan games to focus in on him.

from what i hear, he is more likely to become a rt than a lt. while the big 10 generally produces good lineman, i think long has the biggest bust potential due to the fact that whoevers drafts him will most likely play him at lt.

what is up with jake long? i am hearing some doubts about him. is he another robert galllery? i have to make it a point to watch more michigan games to focus in on him.

i like long as a run blocker but i seen him get beat by speed rushers more often than i like for an "elite" prospect

he is nasty though and once he gets his hands on someone he will win the battle but like i said speed rushers will give him fits for a while

who knows though i though the same about jamaal brown when he was at ou and he looks like a stud so i think he is worth the risk

dorsey though is my man crush and i think he can turn our defense into an elite one

nice "mach"

i like long as a run blocker but i seen him get beat by speed rushers more often than i like for an "elite" prospect

he is nasty though and once he gets his hands on someone he will win the battle but like i said speed rushers will give him fits for a while

who knows though i though the same about jamaal brown when he was at ou and he looks like a stud so i think he is worth the risk

dorsey though is my man crush and i think he can turn our defense into an elite one

nice "mach"

thanks. you may be right about dorsey. i am starting to lean towards taking him and drafting hills in round two. thanks for the long feedback.

thanks. you may be right about dorsey. i am starting to lean towards taking him and drafting hills in round two. thanks for the long feedback.

tony hills is another guy i have doubts about he lacks intensity at times but he is extremely talented same thing with okam they are a bit over rated

tony hills is another guy i have doubts about he lacks intensity at times but he is extremely talented same thing with okam they are a bit over rated

there is still plenty of college fb left. hills has been a very reliable pass protector. i would be willilng to put up with less nastiness and size for a guy that can take care of the qb's blind side. there are few other ot's that need to be watched. heath benedict, chris williams and john greco are ot's with good abilities.

there is still plenty of college fb left. hills has been a very reliable pass protector. i would be willilng to put up with less nastiness and size for a guy that can take care of the qb's blind side. there are few other ot's that need to be watched. heath benedict, chris williams and john greco are ot's with good abilities.

agreed i live in austin though and thats why i commented on those two guys hills is pretty good, much in the mold of joe staley from last year he was supposed to be a te when he came to ut if i remember correctly so hes really athletic

okam may end up being great if the light ever comes on he reminds me a little bit of rogers as far as the blend of talent and effort or lack there of

mach i assumed that we would draft at #5 or maybe six. as it turns out, we are getting more and more injured and our record reflects the situation. if the season ended today, we would be picking #3. miami and st louis both have tougher schedules than us, so it is very possible that we end up with the #2 pick this year.

for the sake of argument, let us assume that we trade crumpler to oakland for andrew walter and the rights to daniel fells. i say walter only because the fo was interested in him earlier this year. fells is a throw in but may be groomed as a big wr.

jake long will be the most sought after guy among the three top teams in the draft. miami has no offensive linemen and the rams are living a nightmare without orlando pace. this mock will include atlternaties at the first and second picks. it is impossible to say that we will land long, so i might as well mention an alternative plan. here is goes (sorry brohm lovers, you won't like it):

1 jake long (lt, michigan). huge athletic and quick. some say that he can't handle the quick rushers. i have not seen any evidence to back that up. long is tough and should hold down the spot for next decade. if he is off the board, our choice is glenn dorsey (dt, lsu). dorsey is big, strong and aggressive. he is the foundation of the lsu defense and will be a star in the nfl.

2a red bryan (dt, texas a/m). another big man that is quick. he had a knee injury and i have not seen him play this year. he was a monster last year and is still highly rated by draftniks. alternative: tony hills (lt, texas). hills is smaller (305lbs) but is extremely quick and a very good pass blocker. he should be able to protect the backside just fine.

2b jonathan stewart (rb, oregon) i am using the gbnreport for rankings and i was surprised to see stewart rated this low. he is the ideal compliment to norwood.....230lbs with 4.4. speed. he is averaging something like 7 yards per carry.

3 roy schuening (og, oregon state). big and build like a brick crap house. he may not be the prospect that hutchinson was, but that is who he is compared to very often. this guy is the best og in the draft and he may drop to the third round. we take him, if miami doesn't.

4 ben moffitt (mlb, so florida) big and quick. this guy is a player. brooking is on the downside of his career so it is time to look ahead. moffitt at mlb and his former teammate nicholas at wlb.

5 brandon coutu (k, uga). big leg with good accuracy. he has played in the highly intense climate of the sec, so he is ready to handle the stress. thank you morten, but we need to get younger.

6 doug legursky (c, marshall). we need to get bigger and stronger at center. mcclure keeps his starting job for one or two more seasons, but doug will push him.

7 jonal saint-dic (de, michigan). we need depth at de. this kid can rush the passer, so we give him a shot.

no qb= automatic f

i'm strict, i know. laugh.gifwink.gif

i see leftwich and shockley on the roster next year.

forget qb, unless there is tremendous value. no qb reaches!!!!

let's build the rest of the team next year, and evaluate leftwich and or shockley, or even harrington, with some actual talent on the oline and at tailback, and backed by a better defense. i'm willing to wait another year rather than potentially reach and waste a high pick on a player we might not even need.

now if something crazy happens, like matt ryan or brohm or woodson sitting there in the second, or dennis dixon(not sure if he'll play baseball) in the 2nd day, then sure, pull the trigger. take the bpa at a position of need. there is zero chance of a qb being the bpa in the top 5, and pretty unlikely anywhere else on the first day.

you're crazy if you think this team doesn't need a qb in the '08 draft. absolutely insane.

who's gonna be there in '09 to draft? the ;09 class sucks.the'08 class is one of the deepest ever.

and qb is a position of need, matter of fact, along w/ol, it is our most glaring need!

and what has shockley proven? nothing.

it is true that he has been compared to gallery before by some scouts, but the reference is used simply to describe his run blocking and his potential. gallery was a stud prospect but is simply didn't have the intangibles. long imo will be very successful in this league. i think he will be everything gallery could have been.

it is true that he has been compared to gallery before by some scouts, but the reference is used simply to describe his run blocking and his potential. gallery was a stud prospect but is simply didn't have the intangibles. long imo will be very successful in this league. i think he will be everything gallery could have been.

thanks for the clarification. i'll try to watch more michigan games.

i like it, with one modification. darren mcfadden, not jake long. 1) he's much more talented 2) i just don't feel confident in jake long.

and michael oher instead of stewart(who won't be there, regardless of what any of the mockdraft sites say).

dmac, red bryant, michael oher.....and then the rest of your draft. that would just be fantastic.

if oher declares he could go top 10-15 imo.

in regards to the draft.....unless we somehow get romo in fa (if he chooses to test fa market), i think there is zero chance we dont take a qb day one in this draft. other than that looks decent. i used some of the same prospects in my mock. i dont know about coutu. he hasnt been the same since the injury it sounds. whoever is the top rated kicker should be on our draft board though, unless we land brown or akers in fa pre draft.

shockley showed me alot in college.....which is about all that brohm/woodson/ryan have shown as well. leftwich showed me more than they did in college, and has proven himself to be a good nfl qb when healthy. and that injury he just suffered would have happened to anyone behind our oline-meaning anyone we draft until we get the rest of the team situated. qb is the most important position, but he can't succeed without the players around him. don't cripple our efforts to surround him with those players just to reach for a qb that we may not need, and may or may not be an impact player even if we do need him.

eca

now pitt, if there was a lock impact qb in this group(a vince young, or an elway, or a p. manning), then i would agree with you. because you take the bpa at a position of need. i agree that qb is likely a position of need. i just don't think he will be the best player available.

and pitt, we can wait a few years, because this team is getting torn down and rebuilt, and is several years away(maybe 2 if leftwich works out, and about 4 if he doesn't). our vets are worn out, and our young players need experience. no need to mortgage our future and reach for a qb that we can't currently put the players around to succeed.

you're crazy.

think man.

what are our two biggest needs this offseason?

ol and a franchise qb. therefore, you have to draft a qb. sorry, but you need to get your head out of the sand on this issue.

you draft a franchise qb and start putting the line around him by drafting ol this year and next, and build around him. we already have blalock, now we need to get some ot's and another g along w/our franchise qb and we're set. the new qb will sit a year behind leftwich and start in '09 and he'll take his lumps, but if we don't draft one this year it'll set us back even further. the qb class in '09 sucks!

i don't know why you're so adament about not drafting a qb when it is our most glaring need aside from the ol.

you're crazy.

think man.

what are our two biggest needs this offseason?

ol and a franchise qb. therefore, you have to draft a qb. sorry, but you need to get your head out of the sand on this issue.

you draft a franchise qb and start putting the line around him by drafting ol this year and next, and build around him. we already have blalock, now we need to get some ot's and another g along w/our franchise qb and we're set. the new qb will sit a year behind leftwich and start in '09 and he'll take his lumps, but if we don't draft one this year it'll set us back even further. the qb class in '09 sucks!

i don't know why you're so adament about not drafting a qb when it is our most glaring need aside from the ol.

pitt, i respect your opinion. you may be right. maybe we don't have the future qb in shockley. maybe leftwich will never pan out. maybe trading for a player like walter is ridiculous. or, maybe we have not seen how good harrington, leftwich and shockley can be with decent protection and a good running game. maybe andrew walter is the ideal qb for petrino's offense......we don't know.

if we draft a qb in the first round, it will take a lot of cap space and it will be a gamble that we will be able to build a quality ol around him. you not only have to choose a qb with talent, but you have to choose one that fits your system and that has the personality to handle adversity in the nfl. maybe there is a good qb prospect that could fall into the third round (keller?) that can fill those criteria. all i know is that we definitely have a problem along the ol. of that, i am sure of. that is my highest priority and i am not willing to take any more chances on later round hunches.

i admit that i have been very wrong about qb's in the past (heck, i liked akili smith and ryan leaf), but i am also aware that there are good qb's riding the pine on other teams. those guys may have not gotten the chance to succeed. one such guy is andrew walter. he was thrown into a lousy system headed by art shell and he failed. our fo and hc were very interested in him....they saw qualities in him that made them think that he could succeed under petrino.

so, as of now, i am not thinking about drafting a qb high in this draft. i am thinking about more basic needs. both or our lines need help. the ol is by far the worse of the two, but we are an injury away from being miserable at the dl. our defense is also highly suspect in the middle of the field. we get killed on third and long with passes right in front of our safteties. when is that going to stop?

i would like to have a star qb heading a phenomenal offense. that will not happen until we can protect our qb and open holes for our talented rb. we would stink with peyton manning at the helm. you know that as well as i do.

i don't think that i am keeping my head in the sand. i am just looking at this problem from a different angle.