how would you guys feel if the falcons ...........

Deacon 13

get mcfadden in the 1st(obviously a top 3 pick which they are well on there way) then use the remaining picks(something like 9 with compensatories) for ol, dl, mlb.

then pick up a.walter...big(6'6" 230), young(3rd yr) qb that came from a college system that loved to throw the ball down field. i know his nfl stats stink, but look who he played for.

i know the falcons need a qb, but i wouldn't be upset if they went for a free-agent like walter , and use the draft to build a good ol and add to a decent defence.

like the falcons would be doing the same thing the dolphins did when picking ronnie brown: drafting a rb when they have bigger needs which won't help them win. rb is also a position which tend to have more injuries. did i mention ronnie brown is done for the season with a knee injury?

like the falcons would be doing the same thing the dolphins did when picking ronnie brown: drafting a rb when they have bigger needs which won't help them win. rb is also a position which tend to have more injuries. did i mention ronnie brown is done for the season with a knee injury?

yah.....that's what you use the other "9" picks for blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif . you don't think they can get a couple of very good ol and another good dl in the 2nd and 3rd rnds. and i don't know if you watch college or not, but mcfadden is just a little bit better than what we got starting right now. dry.gif

by the way, picking a rb high instead of a qb looks to be a pretty good decision if you look at what ap is doing right now. and they already had a solid starter in c.taylor. the vikes are not dominating but passing on ap would have proven to be a dumb move on their part.

you can't pass on a guy like mcfadden if he is there.period.

yah.....that's what you use the other "9" picks for blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif . you don't think they can get a couple of very good ol and another good dl in the 2nd and 3rd rnds. and i don't know if you watch college or not, but mcfadden is just a little bit better than what we got starting right now. dry.gif

by the way, picking a rb high instead of a qb looks to be a pretty good decision if you look at what ap is doing right now. and they already had a solid starter in c.taylor. the vikes are not dominating but passing on ap would have proven to be a dumb move on their part.

yeah, look at what peterson has done for the 2-4 vikings....

at least they took him at 7. the falcons will likely be picking in the top 5. too low for a team with so many holes to be making a glamour pick.

let us clarify, you know, for reality's sake. the vikings did, in fact, draft ap. and now, he is running like a deer. why? why is ap running like a deer? he is running like a deer because the vikings have been building their ol for the past three seasons. they drafted first round ot's and signed the most expensive (and best og) in the league. that is why ap is running like a deer. they did it right. they built the team from the lines out. the same rule goes for the defense. do you remember how good their defense looked? look at their dl and more specifically their dt's.

our ol stinks! we need to invest in the ol heavily. until this most recent loss, i believed that we would be out of the running for jake long. he is now a distinct possibility. we will not have the cap space to bring in a guy like hutchinson, so we have to do it the old fasion way.....we have to draft ol's early and often.

mcfadden is a great fantasy football prospect. unfortunately, he wouldn't last more than four years behind our ol.

let us clarify, you know, for reality's sake. the vikings did, in fact, draft ap. and now, he is running like a deer. why? why is ap running like a deer? he is running like a deer because the vikings have been building their ol for the past three seasons. they drafted first round ot's and signed the most expensive (and best og) in the league. that is why ap is running like a deer. they did it right. they built the team from the lines out. the same rule goes for the defense. do you remember how good their defense looked? look at their dl and more specifically their dt's.

our ol stinks! we need to invest in the ol heavily. until this most recent loss, i believed that we would be out of the running for jake long. he is now a distinct possibility. we will not have the cap space to bring in a guy like hutchinson, so we have to do it the old fasion way.....we have to draft ol's early and often.

mcfadden is a great fantasy football prospect. unfortunately, he wouldn't last more than four years behind our ol.

bingo they built it with very good olinemen.....i don't think long is worth a high pick that we are going to have. imo i don't think he could hold joe thomas' jock....not even close. i'd be on the long boat if he was as good but he just isn't. doesn't have the footwork or speed to play lt. i really do feel that he will end up playing rt in the nfl, lt if its a left handed qb. would he be an upgrade? sure but not worth a top 5 pick.

why are there so many guys trying to "beat me over the head" with this ol deal. yes, i understand the falcons really need to invest in the ol in the draft and free-agency....i'm not stupid. but to just flat say it would be dumb to take dmc because the falcs need ol is being thick-headed.

when there is a guy with talent like dmc available you take him. then you use the next 2 or 3 or 4 picks on the ol. that would be 2-2nd rnd picks and at least 1-3rd rnd pick. real easy to understand.

if you guys are trying to tell me you can't get quality ol in the second and third round i would suggest getting your head examined or your meds changed. wink.gif

the depth at ot and og in this draft looks to be very, very good. so, why take a chance on jake long(who bye the way, depending on where you look, is being called anything from a "stud lt" to "fair rt or og") when you can get guys that are most likely just as good in the next round.

id feel great until we get that deadbeat andrew walter & then i would feel awful

yah, i took a peek at his #s last yr at oak and wow!!! they stink. but i hate to right a kid off, with that much talent coming out of college, just because he had one sorry year on the worst team in the league.

why are there so many guys trying to "beat me over the head" with this ol deal. yes, i understand the falcons really need to invest in the ol in the draft and free-agency....i'm not stupid. but to just flat say it would be dumb to take dmc because the falcs need ol is being thick-headed.

when there is a guy with talent like dmc available you take him. then you use the next 2 or 3 or 4 picks on the ol. that would be 2-2nd rnd picks and at least 1-3rd rnd pick. real easy to understand.

if you guys are trying to tell me you can't get quality ol in the second and third round i would suggest getting your head examined or your meds changed. wink.gif

the depth at ot and og in this draft looks to be very, very good. so, why take a chance on jake long(who bye the way, depending on where you look, is being called anything from a "stud lt" to "fair rt or og") when you can get guys that are most likely just as good in the next round.

because lt is a need position and they believe long is way better then he is. they have convinced themselves that just because they draft an ol early he will be a franchise lt.

long would have been the 2nd or 3rd tackle taken last year, many pros have already said he was only slightly better or on par with brown who many believed was drafted 3 or 4 slots early at 10, he is no where near as good as thomas, who will be a franchise lt.

taking a lt early just so you can say you have one is stupid, if they were even saying he will be a lt, but they aren't their not sure he won't be a rt, and you don't draft rt's with the first 5 picks.

because lt is a need position and they believe long is way better then he is. they have convinced themselves that just because they draft an ol early he will be a franchise lt.

long would have been the 2nd or 3rd tackle taken last year, many pros have already said he was only slightly better or on par with brown who many believed was drafted 3 or 4 slots early at 10, he is no where near as good as thomas, who will be a franchise lt.

taking a lt early just so you can say you have one is stupid, if they were even saying he will be a lt, but they aren't their not sure he won't be a rt, and you don't draft rt's with the first 5 picks.

thank you....finally a voice of reason. from what i have heard, long is good but thomas, d'brick, or mcneil he's not. dorsey and dmc look much more like "true" top 5 talent to me, but then again i'm not a scout, just an avid college and pro football fan.

good post...

i just dont understand how everyone is jumping on longs jock, like he is the best prospect lt to ever nominate

for a draft. there are too many negatives about long to be reaching with a top 5 pick imo... some have him being

a good lt prospect and some have him as a great rt prospect...

imo we are much better off taking dmc, than reaching for a franchise lt that just isnt there. just because the guy

is drafted at pick 3 doesnt automatically make him franchise material!! if he busts at lt, then we are left with the

highest paid rt in the league, and a need to draft a real franchise lt the year after...

the oline talk is getting blown out of proportion if you ask me, taking a couple of ot's in the second is a much better

idea as this draft will be absolutely stacked with them...

best case scenario would be to trade down and if we need to draft an ot in the first we should be looking at

cherilus/clady/baker or whoever...

well here is what steve wyche said on 790 the zone today:

byron's will be back this season. no time soon though.

sense that the team thinks it's pretty much over for the year.

a lot more of the younger guys will start to get more playing time. ie jimmy williams

26 new members of the roster.

no clue why jerious isn't getting more carries.

doesn't think bobby petrino trust the line when it comes to run blocking.

jake long, dmc, and qb's on the board what do they do at 3?

steve says he thinks the falcons take dmc and address oline in fa. he says this team has holes in every position and don't think they will be addressed in one offseason.

yah, i took a peek at his #s last yr at oak and wow!!! they stink. but i hate to right a kid off, with that much talent coming out of college, just because he had one sorry year on the worst team in the league.

it wouldn't hurt to take a good look at the guy and see if he has what it takes to excel in this offense. it'll save us from having to spend $$$ on a draft pick and then we can pick up the fs out of miami, an ot, a mlb, an og, a rb, etc.

yup you nailed it, vikings line gets no credit i swear if you looked at those gaps he has to run through its amazing, not to mention they have a great line, but all espn wants to talk about it how good ap is, yes hes a good back im not taking anything away from him, but you must remeber that o-line is more then part of the reason why ap is being sucessful, look at lt he also has a great line just huge canyons to run through, now imagine if norwood had a gap like that how great he would do, see what im saying great lines are more likely to produce great backs then just great backs, sure you got your crazy backs like your barry sanders, and walter paytons, but theres not many and with the talent getting better every year dont bet on seeing any crazy backs like that for sometime, thing is we need an outstanding line

yup you nailed it, vikings line gets no credit i swear if you looked at those gaps he has to run through its amazing, not to mention they have a great line, but all espn wants to talk about it how good ap is, yes hes a good back im not taking anything away from him, but you must remeber that o-line is more then part of the reason why ap is being sucessful, look at lt he also has a great line just huge canyons to run through, now imagine if norwood had a gap like that how great he would do, see what im saying great lines are more likely to produce great backs then just great backs, sure you got your crazy backs like your barry sanders, and walter paytons, but theres not many and with the talent getting better every year dont bet on seeing any crazy backs like that for sometime, thing is we need an outstanding line

we all know we need a great line, but the point of the thread is...

do you take dmc or do you reach for jake long, who has been rated about the same as levi brown?? he may well

turn out to be a great rt and an average lt. so what would you prefer to do?

reach or draft the best prospect in the draft????

3 names for you and everyone else who uses ap as an example:

matt birk

steve hutchinson

bryant mckinnie

that's their c, lg, and lt, and they're very good... chester taylor did well behind them. yes, ap is incredible, but would he be incredible behind our line? doubtful.

birk--6th rnd harvard

hutchinson--1st rnd michigan(17th pick)

mckinnie--1st rnd miami(7th pick)

hicks--not drafted memphis

cook--2nd rnd new mexico(51st pick)

very good oline with 2 first rounders, one of which was picked up via free-agency. i'm not saying the falcons don't need ol, what i'm saying is if dmc(or dorsey) are there why "reach" for a guy(long) that is getting mixed reviews when you have two consensus favs.

we all know we need a great line, but the point of the thread is...

do you take dmc or do you reach for jake long, who has been rated about the same as levi brown?? he may well

turn out to be a great rt and an average lt. so what would you prefer to do?

reach or draft the best prospect in the draft????

my thoughts exactly...by the way lets just take a look at another high-drafted olinemen...does the name robert gallery ring any bells. guy went #2 overall and now doesn't even play ot, lost his ot position to an undrafted free-agent and was moved to og. does anyone around here want to spend a top 3 pick on an og??? i don't think so. and to the best of my knowledge gallery was supposed to be a "stud" according to all the "experts".

i'm starting to agree... seen too many questions about long. cherilius isn't a lt, from what i've read. i wouldn't mind getting him to replace weiner, 'cause he's the big strong mauler type petrino wants, but right now we have no lt, so... people are talking up the hill kid out of texas, and he sounds like a good lt prospect. if we could get him in the 2nd, that would be good.

how about:

1. mcfadden rb

2a. hill ot

2b. cherilius ot

3. dennis dixon qb

i would be stoked if they were our first 3 rounds... that is basically the offense back on track if all the picks

work out... even a trade down and picking up stewart and another 2nd would make me happy wink.gif

second day, draft a dt or 2 an mlb a kicker and a decent kr/pr...

you ever notice that people who want to talk about bust ot's all talk about gallery? how many bust qb's and rb's are there? 10x as many?

last 10 ots taken in the 1st: joe thomas, levi brown, joe staley, d'brick, jammal brown, alex barron, gallery,

s. andrews, jordan gross, george foster.

last 10 rbs taken in the 1st: ap, m. lynch, r.bush, l.marroney, j.addai, r. brown, c. benson, c. williams, s. jackson, c. perry

10x as many????? now that's just wrong. most of the issues with rbs is due to injuries, which is gonna happen with rbs. out of the last 10 rbs i see 2 that could be called "busts"...benson, perry. all the others have performed well. and some are awesome... ap, lynch, addai, jackson

out of those 10 ots, how many are true "busts"...gallery definitely , then barron, staley(who has taken the place on another 1st rnder kwame harris), gross all moved to rt and andrews moved to og like gallery.

thomas, foster, brown have played well in their short careers, but to say that rbs are more often "busts" than ots is not very accurate.

i just think, unless you can get a guy like o.pace, thomas, or d'brick that can come in as a rookie and play "well" as a lt, why spend a top 5 pick on one if you can get a guy like dmc or dorsey.

by the way, where in this topic have i mentioned a qb?????

i'm starting to agree... seen too many questions about long. cherilius isn't a lt, from what i've read. i wouldn't mind getting him to replace weiner, 'cause he's the big strong mauler type petrino wants, but right now we have no lt, so... people are talking up the hill kid out of texas, and he sounds like a good lt prospect. if we could get him in the 2nd, that would be good.

how about:

1. mcfadden rb

2a. hill ot

2b. cherilius ot

3. dennis dixon qb

now that's more like it wink.gif

well here is what steve wyche said on 790 the zone today:

byron's will be back this season. no time soon though.

sense that the team thinks it's pretty much over for the year.

a lot more of the younger guys will start to get more playing time. ie jimmy williams

26 new members of the roster.

no clue why jerious isn't getting more carries.

doesn't think bobby petrino trust the line when it comes to run blocking.

jake long, dmc, and qb's on the board what do they do at 3?

steve says he thinks the falcons take dmc and address oline in fa. he says this team has holes in every position and don't think they will be addressed in one offseason.

[/u]

the draft has to be predicated on free agent pickups that we make. picking up proven nfl ols that are not washed up maybe the way to go. this of course is predicated on how much money we have under the cap given the vick decision by the arbitrator and how many quality ol will be available in free agency. we have to be realistic; with so many holes on our team we should not reach but take the best player available and it sounds like dmc with the 1st pick. leftwich impressed with his play agianst the aints so maybe keeping him and signing walters as a free agent would be the way to go. don't forget the defense is not very good and needs upgrades in almost every position. the one position i think we are in decent shape is believe it or not wide receiver.