reverse mock draft

this draft is light at the skill positions. i don't think the falcons will make a lot of moves in the offseason. the one move i think they might make is to go after rb turner from san diego, which is what i assumed when i made this.

the rounds are listed backwards, because i really like focusing on the middle and 2nd day. that's where you find the bread and butter guys that are the core of your team.

the 2nd 4th rounder is for kerney.

remember, the picks are at the top of the round, so they are almost like the previous round.

7. peyton hillis fb/rb | (6'1", 234, 4.55) | arkansas

we would be drafting him to play rb in short yardage situations. has also returned kicks and played special teams. versitile player that can contibute in a number of area.

strengths: a versatile athlete that contributes in more facets of the game than most college players. lacks ideal size as a traditional fullback but he is technically sound and gives a great effort as a blocker. gets in good position, does an excellent job of hitting the moving target in space and works hard to sustain once locked on. shows very good awareness in pass pro. seems to be faster on film than timed-speed would indicate. runs hard with good pad-level and drives his legs to gain yards after contact. has developed into a weapon as a receiver out of the backfield. excellent route runner for his position. very polished and instinctive; does a good job of coming back to his quarterback and making himself available on broken plays. is used frequently from the slot position and shows a great understanding for reading coverages. also shows some versatility on special teams. he can cover kicks effectively and also averaged 11.5 yards per punt return in 2006.

weaknesses: lacks ideal size as a fullback. is not a traditional iso-blocker and will struggle to anchor at the point of attack versus bigger linebackers in the nfl. he gets overwhelmed physically in the phone booth at times and he needs to be in good position with leverage in order to defeat bigger blockers in the run game and in pass pro. timed speed is marginal. shows adequate initial burst for his size but does not display a second gear in the open field and will struggle to run away from defenders as a ball carrier, receiver or return man in the nfl. he is effective as an occasional short-yardage runner but he lacks the acceleration/elusiveness to carry the ball with any type of consistency at the next level. durability is a concern; he missed nearly four full games with a vertebrae injury in 2004 and missed four games in 2006 with a thigh injury.

overall: during hillis' first three seasons (2004-06) he played in 31 games (21 starts) at tailback, fullback and on special teams. he has 141 carries for 612 yards (4.3 average) and 10 touchdowns and 69 receptions for 658 yards (9.5 average) and six touchdowns. he has also returned 11 kicks for 211 yards (19.2 average) and 24 punts for 257 yards (10.7 average). hillis suffered three broken vertebrae in his back as a true freshman in 2004, causing him to miss three games. hillis is a notch or two below former rutgers' standout justin leonard (rams; 2nd round pick in 2007) in terms of overall talent but the two players share a lot of similar qualities. hillis is not as fast and he doesn't possess the same running skills. however, like leonard, hillis is a tweener rb/fb prospect with outstanding versatility and infectious selflessness. hillis can contribute as a runner, blocker and receiver on offense (ideally in a west coast scheme), and he has upside as a return man and covering kicks on special teams. there isn't much demand for fullbacks in the nfl right now but hillis is among the elite prospects at his position from the 2008 senior class.

6. damon nickson s | (6'0", 183, 4.55) | middle tennessee state

i think we'll be looking for someone to develop as a centerfielder type safety.

strengths: has decent range, reads quarterback's eyes and can play a centerfielder-type role. explodes out of backpedal and shows good closing speed going forward. aggressive, catches the ball well and is a playmaker that can pick up chunks of yards after a turnover. plays with confidence and doesn't appear to dwell on mistakes. tough and fills hard when reads run. plays with a good motor, takes adequate angles to the ball and makes plays in pursuit. wraps upon contact and is a sound open field tackler. flashes a mean streak, times hits well and flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. is a dangerous kickoff return, has experience returning punts and can make an immediate impact on special teams.

weaknesses: doesn't have great bulk for height, can take too long to shed blocks and can get engulfed when lines up in the box. footwork is inconsistent, gets spun around at times and is vulnerable to double moves. can be overaggressive, is vulnerable to play action and lacks the second gear to recover when gets caught out of position. doesn't always carry the ball with outside arm, doesn't always keep it tight to frame and can put it on the ground.

overall: during his first three seasons (2004-'06) nickson appeared in 35 games (22 starts) and recorded 119 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, six pass breakups, and six interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown. he also returned 21 kicks for 605 yards (28.8 average) and two touchdowns. nickson is a playmaker who has a good blend of burst, athletic ability and size but he isn't an in-the-box safety and he gets caught out of position a times. if he can improve his technique and continue to make big plays, his stock could soar.

5. wayne legursky oc | (6'1", 325, 5.25) | marshall

is ranked higher than this, but centers and guards always drop. can play both positions so at worst is a versitile backup.

strengths: rarely takes false steps and can get into position quickly. gets adequate hand placement, works from snap until whistle and flashes the ability to sustain blocks. has a mean streak and flashes a powerful punch. though lacks ideal athletic ability and struggles to adjust to moving targets in space, takes sound angles to blocks and can get into position at the second level. bends at the waist rather than the knees but has good size and rarely gives ground to bull rushers. keeps head up, shows good awareness and can pick up blitzes and line stunts. shows adequate not great accuracy and puts good zip on the ball when shotgun snapping. reads defenses well, makes sound line calls and is a leader on the field. hasn't missed a game while at marshall and is durable.

weaknesses: plays too high and is going to have problems driving two-gap defenders off the ball. mechanical and doesn't adjust well when assignment takes himself out of the play. doesn't always extend arms when helping guards and can be a step late getting to the linebacker when combo blocking up to the second level. lacks ideal balance and is vulnerable to effective rip moves. takes too long to change directions and struggles to counter double moves.

overall: during his first three seasons (2004-'06) legursky has played in all 35 games (23 starts) primarily at center but with some action coming at offensive guard. legursky is

how is that a done deal... brian brohm is not a top 5 pick or even a top 10 pick at that.. far from accurate... matt ryan or andre woodson would be the pickk.. and plus why the heck would be draft brohm and brennan thats just dumb... we pick up jake long in the top 5.. trade up. to mid first.. get a qb.. get james davis or felix jones later in the draft.. def get couto.. be a solid draft

how is that a done deal... brian brohm is not a top 5 pick or even a top 10 pick at that.. far from accurate... matt ryan or andre woodson would be the pickk.. and plus why the heck would be draft brohm and brennan thats just dumb... we pick up jake long in the top 5.. trade up. to mid first.. get a qb.. get james davis or felix jones later in the draft.. def get couto.. be a solid draft

did you read past the words "done deal"? i said it was a done deal "we would draft a qb here." it may or may not be brohm.

here is how i see the qb situation playing out after this year. both lefty & joey are on 2 year contracts. my guess is neither works out to be the qb for the system. we won't keep both of them. the one that stays will be starting in 2008 (which will probably be lefty.) leftwich is going to want to start after 2008, so he is gone. so, we need to prepare for the long run.

we draft our future starter in the 1st.

colt has the potential to be a decent starter in petrino's system (not in a lot of others though), so when he drops we grab a guy to develop as a long term backup qb.

qbs 2008 - lefty, brohm, brennan

qbs 2009 - brohm, brennan, fa signing

we also have too many needs to be trading up into the end of the 1st to get any player. remember, cleveland had to give up a future 1st round pick to trade up into the 1st and get quinn. too expensive for us.

did you read past the words "done deal"? i said it was a done deal "we would draft a qb here." it may or may not be brohm.

here is how i see the qb situation playing out after this year. both lefty & joey are on 2 year contracts. my guess is neither works out to be the qb for the system. we won't keep both of them. the one that stays will be starting in 2008 (which will probably be lefty.) leftwich is going to want to start after 2008, so he is gone. so, we need to prepare for the long run.

we draft our future starter in the 1st.

colt has the potential to be a decent starter in petrino's system (not in a lot of others though), so when he drops we grab a guy to develop as a long term backup qb.

qbs 2008 - lefty, brohm, brennan

qbs 2009 - brohm, brennan, fa signing

we also have too many needs to be trading up into the end of the 1st to get any player. remember, cleveland had to give up a future 1st round pick to trade up into the 1st and get quinn. too expensive for us.

im sorry but no team in their right mind would draft two qb's like this in the same draft... do you seriously think any team would do that... just crazy... you keep saying we have so many needs and you are saying we are going to waste a pick on two qb's... hillarious

there's not a chance in **** jones declares if mcfadden does. he'll come back and be the premiere guy to improve his stock.

i wouldn't draft brennan either, but i really like the boone pick if he declares. i definitely wouldn't mind two offensive tackles on day one. a center or guard on the 2nd day would be great too, but i want to see if datish can still be the center. it was only his hand, it wasn't a major injury.