mach i

ggarcia

i think that we don't need to draft a qb in this draft. from my point of view, we need to improve the ol and we need to strengthen the middle of the defense. i also am assuming that we will end up with the 5th pick in this draft. here we go:

1 kenny phillips, fs, miami, 6-1, 205. exceptional speed with cb coverage talent. he is a savvy student of the game. he is also a leader in the lockeroom as well as a model citizen. he is head and shoulders above all other fs's in this draft. jimmy williams has not been able to take the job away from the mediocre crocker....that is a concern and we are still vulnerable in the middle and deep routes. phillips ties up that loose knot quickly.

2a phillip wheeler, mlb, gt, 6-1, 230. zimmer likes speedy lb's. wheeler is not only fast, but smart. he has the size to stop the run but he can also cover te's. tony taylor is a nice backup, but wheeler is a true player with nfl skills. once again, the middle of the d is addressed.

by now, falcon fans and draftniks are screaming that we are not addressing our top need....ol. relax, this is a deep ot draft with some interesting choices.

2b tony hills, lt, texas, 6-5, 305. he is not big by petrino's standards, but he can pass protect very well. he is a lt wihout doubt. put him next to his old teammate, blalock and let them take care of our right-handed qb's. an alternative choice would be chris williams. williams deserves to be watched carefully...he is bigger and may fit better into petrino's mold of an ol.

3 james davis, rb, clemson, 5-10, 210. this guy finds the holes and gets through them quickly. he is a runner that gets the tough yards. he seems to be flying under the radar. i don't know why. a possible alternative would be tashard choice. i prefer davis because he runs lower to the ground.

i don't know whether we will get a compensatory pick from the kerney deal. we also picked up mughelli and paid him a load, so he may cancel out the kerney loss. if we luck out and get a 3rd rounder, i would suggest we go with another ol. names like heath benedict and mike mcglynn come to mind. benedict is a true ot, while mcglynn projects to center or og.

4 marcus harrison, dt, arkansas, 6-3, 310. i am still looking for a 4th round ut. harrison is not a classic ut but he is a good football player. depth is needed here and he is a good value.

5 brandon coutu, k, uga. we need him, enough said.

this draft gets an f. no qb, only one ol.

sorry, failing grade from me b/c you didn't address our two biggest needs enough.

like i've said earlier, if you don't think we need a qb when along w/ol is our biggest need, then you need to pull your head out of your 3rd point of contact and see the sunshine.

sorry, failing grade from me b/c you didn't address our two biggest needs enough.

like i've said earlier, if you don't think we need a qb when along w/ol is our biggest need, then you need to pull your head out of your 3rd point of contact and see the sunshine.

ok. yes, we need to improve the ol, but let's take a close look at that. first of all, we need to know what we already have. at lt, we have gandy, who is past his prime and is a candidate for retirement. his backup, foster, has done a reasonable job, but is not a reliable pass protector. you absolutely need to have a reliable pass protector on the back side of your qb. so, we draft a pass protector like hills or williams....covered

at lg, we have the rookie blalock. he is there to stay.....covered

at center, we have a small but savvy veteran in mcclure. i am not a mcclure fan, but he does a good job of calling the line schemes. he will need to be replaced, but i don't see a good draft pick in the first 4 rounds to replace him. i mentioned that mcglynn should get considered if we acquire a compensatory pick. you can fill in a name, if you have a better choice. for now, center is covered.

at rg, we have a very good player in forney. forney is not playing up to his potential because he is fighting to return from his serious shoulder injury last year. as time goes by two things will happen: forney will get healthier and quarterman will improve his technique. rg is not a need. covered

at rt, we have a very good pass protector in weiner. weiner is not a big guy and does not do a good enough job run blocking. clabo is a similar player because he pass protects better than he run blocks. the good think is that foster (who is covering for gandy on the left side) is looking like a very good rt prospect. once again, i draw your attention to the possible compensatory pick in the 3rd round. mcglynn and benedict are rt prospects that could provide competition and depth. covered

no draft will ever cover your needs completely. however, my mock covers enough needs along the ol to make petrino's offense work.

let's go to the qb position. harrington has not excelled because he is not mobile enough to buy more time behind this ol. plain and simple. when joey has time, he makes the correct reads and delivers the ball to the receivers. behind him, we have leftwich. bl will get his chance to prove that he is better that jh. if he succeeds, then we have no problems with the qb position. if he fails, it will be because the ol fails him. see above. and finally, behind jh and bl, we have the forgotten man.....shockley. djs has the ability, leadership skills and work ethic to become a very good qb. i don't see a reason to simply ignore him. unfortunately, he hurt his knee and will not get an opportunity to show what he has learned. i don't think that it would be wise to throw away a possible asset like shockley. there is not one qb prospect in this draft that can come in and immediately do a better job than the guys we already have. not brohm, not woodward, not ryan.

there are several interesting qb's in this draft that could drop into the 5th and 6th rounds. keller, morelli, and flacco have talent and could flourish in petrino's system. there are also qb's at miami and stanford that could do well. we don't need to draft a name qb in the first round. why draft a guy that should not see the field for at least one season? if we are going to develop a qb, find one that is a diamond in the rough.

the ol is the main reason our qb's are flailing. with careful drafting, we could make great improvements in two seasons. while we turn over the ol, we can not ignore the rest of our needs. our defense is decent , but it is very weak up the middle. injuries and age have taken their toll on our dt's, but we have some young guys that are almost ready to step up. our best mlb is actually a wlb. we need a real mlb. wheeler is the ideal zimmer mlb and would make an immediate impact. fianlly, phillips is a play maker in the secondary. we wanted landry last year, but phillips is a better fs than landry will ever be.

ok. yes, we need to improve the ol, but let's take a close look at that. first of all, we need to know what we already have. at lt, we have gandy, who is past his prime and is a candidate for retirement. his backup, foster, has done a reasonable job, but is not a reliable pass protector. you absolutely need to have a reliable pass protector on the back side of your qb. so, we draft a pass protector like hills or williams....covered

at center, we have a small but savvy veteran in mcclure. i am not a mcclure fan, but he does a good job of calling the line schemes. he will need to be replaced, but i don't see a good draft pick in the first 4 rounds to replace him. i mentioned that mcglynn should get considered if we acquire a compensatory pick. you can fill in a name, if you have a better choice. for now, center is covered.

at rg, we have a very good player in forney. forney is not playing up to his potential because he is fighting to return from his serious shoulder injury last year. as time goes by two things will happen: forney will get healthier and quarterman will improve his technique. rg is not a need. covered

at rt, we have a very good pass protector in weiner. weiner is not a big guy and does not do a good enough job run blocking. clabo is a similar player because he pass protects better than he run blocks. the good think is that foster (who is covering for gandy on the left side) is looking like a very good rt prospect. once again, i draw your attention to the possible compensatory pick in the 3rd round. mcglynn and benedict are rt prospects that could provide competition and depth. covered

no draft will ever cover your needs completely. however, my mock covers enough needs along the ol to make petrino's offense work.

let's go to the qb position. harrington has not excelled because he is not mobile enough to buy more time behind this ol. plain and simple. when joey has time, he makes the correct reads and delivers the ball to the receivers. behind him, we have leftwich. bl will get his chance to prove that he is better that jh. if he succeeds, then we have no problems with the qb position. if he fails, it will be because the ol fails him. see above. and finally, behind jh and bl, we have the forgotten man.....shockley. djs has the ability, leadership skills and work ethic to become a very good qb. i don't see a reason to simply ignore him. unfortunately, he hurt his knee and will not get an opportunity to show what he has learned. i don't think that it would be wise to throw away a possible asset like shockley. there is not one qb prospect in this draft that can come in and immediately do a better job than the guys we already have. not brohm, not woodward, not ryan.

there are several interesting qb's in this draft that could drop into the 5th and 6th rounds. keller, morelli, and flacco have talent and could flourish in petrino's system. there are also qb's at miami and stanford that could do well. we don't need to draft a name qb in the first round. why draft a guy that should not see the field for at least one season? if we are going to develop a qb, find one that is a diamond in the rough.

the ol is the main reason our qb's are flailing. with careful drafting, we could make great improvements in two seasons. while we turn over the ol, we can not ignore the rest of our needs. our defense is decent , but it is very weak up the middle. injuries and age have taken their toll on our dt's, but we have some young guys that are almost ready to step up. our best mlb is actually a wlb. we need a real mlb. wheeler is the ideal zimmer mlb and would make an immediate impact. fianlly, phillips is a play maker in the secondary. we wanted landry last year, but phillips is a better fs than landry will ever be.

dj is not an nfl caliber starting qb.

and we need to draft a qb in '08. my mind is made up on this and nothing anyone can say will change my mind.

dj is not an nfl caliber starting qb.

and we need to draft a qb in '08. my mind is made up on this and nothing anyone can say will change my mind.

it's statements like this that make talking football with you a functional impossibility. just try opening your mind the opinions of others a bit. you may find you like it.

i think that we don't need to draft a qb in this draft. from my point of view, we need to improve the ol and we need to strengthen the middle of the defense. i also am assuming that we will end up with the 5th pick in this draft. here we go:

1 kenny phillips, fs, miami, 6-1, 205. exceptional speed with cb coverage talent. he is a savvy student of the game. he is also a leader in the lockeroom as well as a model citizen. he is head and shoulders above all other fs's in this draft. jimmy williams has not been able to take the job away from the mediocre crocker....that is a concern and we are still vulnerable in the middle and deep routes. phillips ties up that loose knot quickly.

2a phillip wheeler, mlb, gt, 6-1, 230. zimmer likes speedy lb's. wheeler is not only fast, but smart. he has the size to stop the run but he can also cover te's. tony taylor is a nice backup, but wheeler is a true player with nfl skills. once again, the middle of the d is addressed.

by now, falcon fans and draftniks are screaming that we are not addressing our top need....ol. relax, this is a deep ot draft with some interesting choices.

2b tony hills, lt, texas, 6-5, 305. he is not big by petrino's standards, but he can pass protect very well. he is a lt wihout doubt. put him next to his old teammate, blalock and let them take care of our right-handed qb's. an alternative choice would be chris williams. williams deserves to be watched carefully...he is bigger and may fit better into petrino's mold of an ol.

3 james davis, rb, clemson, 5-10, 210. this guy finds the holes and gets through them quickly. he is a runner that gets the tough yards. he seems to be flying under the radar. i don't know why. a possible alternative would be tashard choice. i prefer davis because he runs lower to the ground.

i don't know whether we will get a compensatory pick from the kerney deal. we also picked up mughelli and paid him a load, so he may cancel out the kerney loss. if we luck out and get a 3rd rounder, i would suggest we go with another ol. names like heath benedict and mike mcglynn come to mind. benedict is a true ot, while mcglynn projects to center or og.

4 marcus harrison, dt, arkansas, 6-3, 310. i am still looking for a 4th round ut. harrison is not a classic ut but he is a good football player. depth is needed here and he is a good value.

5 brandon coutu, k, uga. we need him, enough said.

phillip wheeler plays olb not mlb

1 kenny phillips, fs, miami, 6-1, 205.

absurd pick. but at least you are showing some imagination. if we don't go qb, there will probably still be better picks at ot, dt, ilb, rb, and even de available to us. plus recent history has shown that none of the early 1st round "impact" safetys turned out to be worth their draft status. mid-late 1st, go for it. early first. no.

2a phillip wheeler, mlb, gt, 6-1, 230.

2b tony hills, lt, texas, 6-5, 305.

i like both these picks, but i would swap them.

3 james davis, rb, clemson, 5-10, 210.

i just don't think davis fits what petrino is trying to do here.

4 marcus harrison, dt, arkansas, 6-3, 310.

there really isn't any point in drafting a babs clone.

5 brandon coutu, k, uga.

love the pick. don't think mckay will do it.

1 kenny phillips, fs, miami, 6-1, 205.

absurd pick. but at least you are showing some imagination. if we don't go qb, there will probably still be better picks at ot, dt, ilb, rb, and even de available to us. plus recent history has shown that none of the early 1st round "impact" safetys turned out to be worth their draft status. mid-late 1st, go for it. early first. no.

2a phillip wheeler, mlb, gt, 6-1, 230.

2b tony hills, lt, texas, 6-5, 305.

i like both these picks, but i would swap them.

3 james davis, rb, clemson, 5-10, 210.

i just don't think davis fits what petrino is trying to do here.

4 marcus harrison, dt, arkansas, 6-3, 310.

there really isn't any point in drafting a babs clone.

5 brandon coutu, k, uga.

love the pick. don't think mckay will do it.

james davis fits it perfectly... blink.gifblink.gif .. he is a north to south runner with extremely great ability to break tackles and runs very low.. at 215.. he can be the perfect back for this power running system.. try again.. lets also not forget.. center is not a necessary position right now.. we still have datish coming back and he can hopefully be mcclure's replacement.. i am also skeptical of how mckay is going to draft.. i don't see him picking up a mlb early unfortanately.. plus wheeler isn't even a mlb.. we already have boley and nicholas.. thats just a unnecessary pick? i would love to see us trade up and get laurenitis.. the dude is a leader.. straight up the heart and sole of osu's defense.. we could use a tough guy like that at mlb.. contrary to this though.. we could still use tony taylor at mlb.. he has good speed side to side.. and is a run stuffer

it's statements like this that make talking football with you a functional impossibility. just try opening your mind the opinions of others a bit. you may find you like it.

sorry man, but it's obvious we need a qb in the '08 draft. to say so otherwise is having your head in the sand.

and my mind won't be changed on that fact.

agreed.

i've taken all your criticisms into account. some of you make valid points. let me point out that although wheeler plays olb, he has logged time at mlb and has been viewed by some draftniks as a good mlb prospect.

another thread on these boards mentioned trading into the back half of round one for our qb. not a bad idea, maybe i'll include that in my next mock.

after some thought, i will return with a mach ii.

i wouldnt actually be upset with this draft, but i would like to see a dt in place of wheeler in the

2nd... we could probably get away with using brooking for another year if we could put some big realiable

dt's in front of him...

if that happened i guess the 4th rounder could be used on a mlb to groom... jeremy leman or someone

like that??

plus recent history has shown that none of the early 1st round "impact" safetys turned out to be worth their draft status. mid-late 1st, go for it. early first. no.

how do you substantiate this????

roy williams - 4x pro bowler

michael huff - large part of the best passing defense last season

sean taylor - pro-bowler

laron landry - part of the number five pass defense in the league this year

i like kenny phillips but a good safety is a luxury this team can't afford right now. wheeler is not a mlb in the pro's, he will be moved to the outside. if james davis comes out, and i think he will, he is a top 50 player. he does not last to round 3 in a year where there is not a lot of talent in the senior class. can't believe you don't pick a qb, guess we are set at that position... blink.gif

i like kenny phillips but a good safety is a luxury this team can't afford right now. wheeler is not a mlb in the pro's, he will be moved to the outside. if james davis comes out, and i think he will, he is a top 50 player. he does not last to round 3 in a year where there is not a lot of talent in the senior class. can't believe you don't pick a qb, guess we are set at that position... blink.gif

i would consider a qb in the late first round. or, preferably in a trade. off the top of my head: crumpler for andrew walter.

petrino and mckay wanted to work a deal for walter a few weeks back. the raiders did not deal because they had not yet signed russell. crump is traded because the te will not be featured in petrino's offense. his knee problems reduce his trade value, but i am sure that knapp would love to have him.

i would consider a qb in the late first round. or, preferably in a trade. off the top of my head: crumpler for andrew walter.

petrino and mckay wanted to work a deal for walter a few weeks back. the raiders did not deal because they had not yet signed russell. crump is traded because the te will not be featured in petrino's offense. his knee problems reduce his trade value, but i am sure that knapp would love to have him.

andrew walter??????????????

did u see this idiot last yr??????

our line isnt much better & even with upgrades it will take time to gel

besides that are you new andrew walter is awful

trading our best "wr" for him might be the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

sean taylor - pro-bowler

i don't hear anyone saying we should draft a center at the top of the 1st round because "_______ is a 4x pro-bowler at center, or _________ is part of the best offensive line last season."

this has been argued to death, but imho, safetys (like centers) are part of the puzzle, but not the centerpiece. using a top 5 pick on a safety is akin to using a top 5 pick on a center. ok, you'll get a heck of a player, but is his impact on the team really that much more than a safety (or center) you would draft in the late 1st or 2nd round?

andrew walter??????????????

did u see this idiot last yr??????

our line isnt much better & even with upgrades it will take time to gel

besides that are you new andrew walter is awful

trading our best "wr" for him might be the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

our front office offered a trade for andrew walter. i mentioned him because of that history. now, you think walter stinks, ok. however, mckay and petrino like him. you may want to say something snide and unsubstantiated about petrino's and mckay's abilities to find qb talent. but, the fact is that they know their business very well. if they like walter for this offense, then maybe we should all pay attention.

crumpler has been a terrific receiver for the falcons. if you look at his best stats, you will notice that his numbers would rank him as a mediocre wr. petrino's offense does not use the te very much. in other words, crumpler will rot on the vine in atl. he would do very well in knapp's system in oakland, but petrino will do everything he can to discourage his qb's to check down to his te.

if we were to work such a trade, we would save a high draft pick to improve our ol. can you understand this concept?

think for a moment. take your time. is it really the dumbest thing you have ever heard?

your speculations are only mediocre. football is about complete domination over your opponents- we are lacking that all over the falcons squad. here is a dominating squadron: 1. qb brian brohm is already three years advanced into petrino's scheme and does have endurance(which byron lacks), intangibles( which harrington lack), therefore is already a better selection at qb than either. 2a. barry richardson at 6'7 330lbs at rt is immovable and will easily replace the aging has-been gandy, 2b. red bryant another giant at 6'5 324 much like dt's on jacksonville squadron will create a blanket for qb's to throw over and a wall for rb's to hit while getting assistance from trey lewis on the pass rushing inside, 3. jared gaither the 6'9 330lbs. tackle can be used on the lt to help move the chains for norwood. oh yeah this guy can dominate!! 4. mike pollack is the very mobile center at 6'4 292 with excellent technique. 4b. christian taylor 6'1 225 at ilb is a little small but plays big, has a 4.6 forty making our linebacker corps one of the fastest in the league, 5. brandon coutu at kicker, 6. lynch hamilton the solid rb at 6'0 230 lbs. and run a 4.5 forty will compliment norwood on short yard conversions, 6b. does it really matter, i think we alread have a winning squad right here. as far as safeties- williams will surely excel at the position.

our front office offered a trade for andrew walter. i mentioned him because of that history. now, you think walter stinks, ok. however, mckay and petrino like him. you may want to say something snide and unsubstantiated about petrino's and mckay's abilities to find qb talent. but, the fact is that they know their business very well. if they like walter for this offense, then maybe we should all pay attention.

crumpler has been a terrific receiver for the falcons. if you look at his best stats, you will notice that his numbers would rank him as a mediocre wr. petrino's offense does not use the te very much. in other words, crumpler will rot on the vine in atl. he would do very well in knapp's system in oakland, but petrino will do everything he can to discourage his qb's to check down to his te.

if we were to work such a trade, we would save a high draft pick to improve our ol. can you understand this concept?

think for a moment. take your time. is it really the dumbest thing you have ever heard?

crumpler has never been completely exempt from petrino's scheme. you need to do your homework again partner. if a reciever is getting more that 5 balls thrown into his direction per game and catches them. you have had a pretty decent day. and for the record it really isn't how many chance you get to produce. it's what you do with the opportunities that you have. if you're hot then the opportunities will increase.

crumpler has never been completely exempt from petrino's scheme. you need to do your homework again partner. if a reciever is getting more that 5 balls thrown into his direction per game and catches them. you have had a pretty decent day. and for the record it really isn't how many chance you get to produce. it's what you do with the opportunities that you have. if you're hot then the opportunities will increase.

crumpler has been a target, but in petrino's offense, he has been limitted to shorter routes. that is what he was complaining about. he has been a safety valve and nothing more. he has also been kept at the line a lot more to help the struggling ot's. crumpler is not a wr. he is a very good te. if petrino does not want to use him on deeper routes, then we are not getting the most of his talents. hence, crumpler would be a good asset to trade. he is like the matt schaub of this season.....if we won't use him, then trade him for someone we can use.

your speculations are only mediocre. football is about complete domination over your opponents- we are lacking that all over the falcons squad. here is a dominating squadron: 1. qb brian brohm is already three years advanced into petrino's scheme and does have endurance(which byron lacks), intangibles( which harrington lack), therefore is already a better selection at qb than either. 2a. barry richardson at 6'7 330lbs at rt is immovable and will easily replace the aging has-been gandy, 2b. red bryant another giant at 6'5 324 much like dt's on jacksonville squadron will create a blanket for qb's to throw over and a wall for rb's to hit while getting assistance from trey lewis on the pass rushing inside, 3. jared gaither the 6'9 330lbs. tackle can be used on the lt to help move the chains for norwood. oh yeah this guy can dominate!! 4. mike pollack is the very mobile center at 6'4 292 with excellent technique. 4b. christian taylor 6'1 225 at ilb is a little small but plays big, has a 4.6 forty making our linebacker corps one of the fastest in the league, 5. brandon coutu at kicker, 6. lynch hamilton the solid rb at 6'0 230 lbs. and run a 4.5 forty will compliment norwood on short yard conversions, 6b. does it really matter, i think we alread have a winning squad right here. as far as safeties- williams will surely excel at the position.

so, do you see the ravens allowing gaither to re-enter the draft? that's the only shot we have at getting him. also, if richardson is going to be the rt, then how would he be replacing gandy(who is a lt)? also, pollack is more suited for a zbs, not a power-based one.

sean taylor - pro-bowler

roy williams, big hitter, has troubles in coverage though. plays much more like a ss than fs.

michael huff, had a very good season last year. but again, this was a ss who had a grand total of 1 pass defended as a rook. not that much affect on the pass defense, he played more in the box.

laron landry, is having a good year, but a lot like huff. he's been played in the box all season & is covering up deficiencies in his pass defense.

sean taylor, this is the only guy on the list who bears any resemblance's to the guy being selecting in the mock. he's a fs & a **** good one. he has proven that he is worth the pick used to select him, but that is definitely not the norm for high pick free safetys.

since 1992, there has only been 2 fs that were drafted higher than #18. there is a reason for that, fs is not a position that is worth spending a high draft pick on. it's become sort of a marquee position in the college game, but it's really like that in the nfl game. slot receivers are so much better in the nfl than in college, that standout fs's at the college level have trouble keeping up the same production level in the nfl.

going to the original mock, i personally don't like it.

as i said above, fs is not worthy of a high draft pick. phillips may turn out to be a great player, but a great fs is not what is going to turn this d around quickly. i think someone already said luxury pick, and that is exactly what that would be, we just don't have the luxury to make it.

going back to gt to get a mlb to replace the gt grad who has been here the last 10 seasons is a bit nostalgic, but not the right move imo, there will be better mlb's on the board this early in round 2.

the round 2 pick of hills just isn't a fit imo. i think this guy is going to be a good ot in the right scheme. we've moved away from the zbs and i don't think hills will be a good fit for us because of that. i really like williams, your alternate, but i don't think he'd be able to play the lt position which is more of an immediate crisis need.

round3, this is where i do start liking the draft. i like davis at this spot & i like him over choice for basically the same reasons. i think both will be adequate nfl backs, especially with more & more teams going with a 2 back scheme, but they both bring different things to the table & i think davis is a good fit for what we're looking to do.

marcus harrison, not a bad pick, but i'm liking lewis' play at nt. imo, let's look for grady's replacement here maybe in either b.j. raji or jason shirley instead and let them battle it out for grady's spot. as long as we can keep the coleman/babs/stanley rotation healthy at nt, i think we'll be ok there.

coutu, i had him as my 5th round pick in my initial mock, but he's not having a great senior year & this may drop him a round, but he's a definite need & if we do well addressing needs up to this point, no reason not to select him here.

jmo.