new top 35 ot rankings gbn , fairly good rankings

Draftnut57

top ot prospects for 2008

x - indicates player with an injury concern that could affect their ultimate draft status.

o - indicates player with a legal or other off-field concern that could affect their ultimate draft status.

* - indicates underclassmen

last updated: october 19, 2007

jake long 6-7, 305 5.05 michigan

*michael oher 6-5, 325 5.30 mississippi

*alex boone 6-7, 315 5.15 ohio state

*ryan clady 6-5, 320 5.25 boise state

sam baker 6-5, 308 5.20 southern california

*phil loadholt 6-7, 350 5.40 oklahoma

gosder cherilus 6-6, 320 5.25 boston college

heath benedict 6-6, 320 5.00 newberry

chris williams 6-6, 315 5.20 vanderbilt

tony hills 6-6, 305 5.25 texas

john greco 6-5, 320 5.30 toledo

king dunlap 6-8, 310 5.05 auburn

duane brown 6-5, 305 4.95 virginia tech

jeff otah 6-6, 340 5.40 pittsburgh

kirk barton 6-5, 310 5.30 ohio state

barry richardson 6-6, 345 5.45 clemson ©

shannon boatman 6-6, 320 5.25 florida state

akim millington 6-5, 310 5.35 illinois

carlton medder 6-5, 310 5.40 florida

carl nicks 6-5, 335 5.35 nebraska

pedro sosa 6-4, 290 5.20 rutgers (og)

mike gibson 6-5, 305 5.28 california (og)

josh coffman 6-6, 300 5.10 east carolina

breno giacomini 6-7, 305 5.10 louisville

corey clark 6-6, 310 5.20 texas a&m

tyler luellen 6-6, 305 5.35 missouri

charles myles 6-5, 320 5.35 illinois

brian stamper 6-5, 300 5.30 vanderbilt

tyler polumbus 6-7, 300 5.20 colorado

chad rinehart 6-5, 315 5.25 northern iowa

bobby byrd 6-6, 315 5.45 washington state

dylan thiery 6-7, 315 5.40 northwestern

peter graniello 6-5, 310 5.15 arizonadavid hale

cody balogh 6-6, 320 5.35 montana

numbers don't always translate to the field (especially 40 times for ol's), but heath benedict, chris williams and king dunlap have very interesting numbers. it is also interesting that mcglynn (pitt) is not even on the list. i am assuming that gbn views him as either a guard or center.

i'd like to see the 10 yard split on these guys.

numbers don't always translate to the field (especially 40 times for ol's), but heath benedict, chris williams and king dunlap have very interesting numbers. it is also interesting that mcglynn (pitt) is not even on the list. i am assuming that gbn views him as either a guard or center.

i'd like to see the 10 yard split on these guys.

yeah , the 40 don't mean much , i like to know how quick and strong they are . one good thing , it looks like it is going to be a loaded ot draft smile.gif

strange things happen on draft day, so he still might be available in that area. he's been so dominant this year that i have to think the only concern scouts will have would be the medical reports. i don't know if you're familiar with the situation but he hurt it so bad a few years ago that they weren't sure he would ever walk without a limp again. now, he's full strength and just mauling people. admittedly, the competition was weak, but he was just toying with iowa state linemen last weekend.

strange things happen on draft day, so he still might be available in that area. he's been so dominant this year that i have to think the only concern scouts will have would be the medical reports. i don't know if you're familiar with the situation but he hurt it so bad a few years ago that they weren't sure he would ever walk without a limp again. now, he's full strength and just mauling people. admittedly, the competition was weak, but he was just toying with iowa state linemen last weekend.

yeah, i read about it a few months ago. was a scary one too, and another reason i like him. he's a tough guy and being from the same school as blalock, he'll have knowledge of at least one player on our line. on the o-line, familiarity and cohesiveness is always key (which i'm sure you know already).

right, i had actually mentioned exactly this when his name came up toward the start of the season. the one thing to keep in mind is that they never played on the same side. hills has been a lt while blalock played rt and rg last year. still, the familiarity and trust linemen build together exists even if they don't play side by side. i really like the idea of a reunion of the two players. my only question is whether hills is big enough. he's not listed much over 300 pounds. we won't know how accurate that is until the combine.

right, i had actually mentioned exactly this when his name came up toward the start of the season. the one thing to keep in mind is that they never played on the same side. hills has been a lt while blalock played rt and rg last year. still, the familiarity and trust linemen build together exists even if they don't play side by side. i really like the idea of a reunion of the two players. my only question is whether hills is big enough. he's not listed much over 300 pounds. we won't know how accurate that is until the combine.

did blalock really play on the right side? never knew that if so. hills' weight is the only "problem" i see also, but i don't think that will affect him that much in the pros.

that's not what we need. what i read about oher said rt to me... we need a lt in the worst way. i wish those rankings had stats like 3 cone times... i want to know how quick their feet are. jake long is supposed to be pretty athletic and is expected to be a good ot... who else in there projects as a lt?

hills, loadholt, baker, and long are the ones who stick out. gosder screams rt or g to me.

did blalock really play on the right side? never knew that if so.

yes and he did something heroic last year. the team got savaged by o-line injuries, so he moved inside to guard midway through. he risked his draft stock as a tackle to help the team. he's an impressive kid and i'm thrilled we got him.

yes and he did something heroic last year. the team got savaged by o-line injuries, so he moved inside to guard midway through. he risked his draft stock as a tackle to help the team. he's an impressive kid and i'm thrilled we got him.

learn something new everyday. that is pretty impressive right there as well.

baker is the tackle i like the most in this draft. he's as technically sound as you will ever see. also, he has rare quickness for a lt, which is an imperative with so nfl des who are lightning fast.

yeah, i don't get why people don't like him other than his usc affiliation. he's a big, quick, strong guy which is -exactly- what you want in an ot, especially a lt. if any ot in this draft screams bust, it's jake long.

some people will not like this , but with all the talent at this position threw out the draft , and our needs at a qb, rb , and a dt , no way would i draft long with a top 6 in the draft , no way! there want be a hair differance in long and some of these other ots .

i agree. i think that we should draft our lt in the second round.

i am guessing that we will not have a shot at either mcfadden or dorsey. that will leave us with a choice between a qb, ellis or phillips. i like ellis as the eventual ut for us, but i think that we can draft a good ut later. qb seems to be the most popular position on these boards, but there will be good second day qb's that can be developed. given the changes in pass coverage rules and the lack of depth of fs's in this draft, i would have no problem drafting phillips in the first round. follow that up with a lt and dt in the second round and you have a solid day one locked up.

some people will not like this , but with all the talent at this position threw out the draft , and our needs at a qb, rb , and a dt , no way would i draft long with a top 6 in the draft , no way! there want be a hair differance in long and some of these other ots .

spot on draftnut...

just a question - is tony hills considered undersized in petrino's blocking system? he's around 305 lbs., and our offensive linemen are usually plenty of clicks above that. can anyone clarify this on whether or not hills will fit? thanks.

some see him as a better fit for a zone-blocking scheme, but his is really powerful for his size. generally petrino does call for bigger lineman, but i think we will be looking at hills despite size.