updated mock draft

alright. according to the newest standings from nfl.com, the rams would have #1, the dolphins #2, the jets #3 and the falcons #4. assuming that, here is how i would see the beginning of the draft going:

1st- rams- jake long, ot, michigan- some might say they would take glen dorsey, but they are seeing good playing coming out of carriker and the younger guy starting next to him (can t remember his name), and have depth behind those 2. now, their offense has taken a nose-dive this year, and it isn t because steven jackson and torry holt aren t great players. it is because orlando pace is hurt and their offensive line has caved. they need an ot to replace him eventually, and given he has been hurt often recently, it seems that this would be an appropriate time to draft him.

2nd- dolphins- glen dorsey, dt, lsu- either way you slice it, if these two teams are the top 2 picks, dorsey and long will be gone. because they could both use upgrading against the run, but the dolphins are much worse than the rams if i remember correctly. but both offensive lines could use help, especially this year. but, if long is gone then the dolphins will upgrade their run defense by taking the stud dorsey. he will be very good in the nfl, and i m sad we might miss out on both okoye and dorsey. i really liked okoye and he has played well, and i really like dorsey and we are just out of range for him.

3rd- jets- darren mcfadden, rb, arkansas- this is a no-brainer pick. he d step in and see time with thomas jones, and& yeah. this is an easy pick. i don t really have to explain this.

4th- atlanta falcons are now on the clock.

well, if i m staring this situation in the face i m thinking: ######. i can t trade down with the cowboys because mcfadden is gone, and that would have been nice. but all 3 of my favorite targets are off the board, dorsey, long and mcfadden. ouch. and i do not want to draft brohm or woodson or matt ryan this high, i just don t like that value. however, unless an opportunity presents itself like the vikings trading up, i think we will be stuck with picking someone higher than i would personally like. and if we can t move down (the bears are another possibility if they want to move up to try to get a qb they like), then we will end up picking brohm. i am not a huge fan of this pick, but given these circumstances it is probably the best path we could take. we know he is a good fit for this offense, he is extremely smart and is absolutely wonderful at dissecting defenses, and does remind me a bit of peyton manning, even the bouncing around in the pocket. he doesn t do it because of indecisiveness, he does it because it just a habit, and it doesn t negatively affect his throwing motion or release. it is just something that is easy to point at and say, that makes him a poor fit or a bad qb. well, even though i might not want to draft him right here, he is a good fit for petrino s offense, and i would rather draft him than reaching for sam baker or anyone else at this position.

1st- brian brohm, qb, louisville- for the reasons i just stated.

2nd- barry richardson, ot, clemson- this seems to be a very popular pick now, but i have no problem saying that i like it. it fills a need, it is a good value, so why the **** wouldn t you put it in your mock? we need to take advantage of the deep ot class this year, and this is one of the better ways we can do that.

2nd- jasper brinkley, ilb, south carolina- this could be a major steal. he was one of the best defensive players in the sec before his injury, and as much as i d like to say we could steal him away in the 3rd round i think he will be ready for the combine and he will get back into the 2nd round. if he does that, then we should jump all over him. he would really help turn our front 7 and defense as a whole into an elite one.

3rd- dre moore, dt, maryland- i would be perfectly fine with either moore or bj raji, but i have had trouble finding any information on raji, but if someone could update me on his situation that would be much appreciated. was he redshirted this year? i have no idea what s up with him, so i chose moore to avoid that uncertainty. he would be a good, powerful dt to plug into the rotation in the middle of our defense.

4th- shannon tevaga, og, ucla- i would like to get a c in this draft also, but i would be more than happy to come out of this draft with a good, powerful rg and a very good ot, and that is what drafting tevaga will accomplish for us. he is very powerful and durable, up until a short injury (i believe it was 2 weeks he missed this year) he sustained this year he had started& 34 consecutive games? i think that was the number. that is the kind of guy i want on our offensive line. he would line up at rg and be the ideal eventual replacement for forney.

4th(comp pick from kerney)- matt forte, rb, tulane- **** i m good. i m sorry, but i have to toot my own horn a little bit. it seems like it might have been& 1 week ago? 2 weeks ago? i don t exactly remember, that i posted a mock draft with matt forte in it. and that was without knowing his stats from this year, and i checked out how he was doing and what he was ranked, and all of a sudden he is #10 on scott wright s senior rb s list. he is on pace for about 1,800 yards and 18 touchdowns at his current pace, and has a ypc average of 6.7. he is playing very well this year and i would love to have him, but i might end up moving him up farther, especially if he keeps impressing this whole year. it seems like i do this with a few people every year. last year my favorite was brian robison, man he shot up like a bottle rocket on draft boards didn t he?

5th- brandon coutu, k, georgia- we need to address the kicking situation, there are no ifs, ands or buts about it. so, we draft coutu. he may or may not be a 6th rounder, but he is in the 5-6 range right now, and i d rather be safe than sorry and miss out on him like we did with mason crosby last year. big mistake.

6th- titus brown, de, mississippi state- he is a good pass rusher, and is somewhat undersized at 6'3", 248. however, he can get after the quarterback and thats what he would be brought here to do. the last time we drafted a guy from mississippi state it turned out pretty well, and pass rushers that ive liked 2nd day have turned out pretty well also, those being mark anderson, de, bears and brian robison, de, vikings. hopefully we can get brown to give us another speed rusher off the edge behind abraham at re.

6th(trade for rossum)- brian witherspoon, cb, stillman- how about this guy for a flier huh? i have no idea who he is, but he s a ball-hawk with 6 career interceptions coming into this season and almost 200 yards off of returning those interceptions. not many tackles, but i would make the assumption that it s because he isn t thrown at very often. he is listed as having an eye-popping 4.25 40, so his stock is sure to shoot up if it isn t already. but i might as well add him to the list of people i am calling shooting up in the draft now. if we got him here he could be depth as a kr and also depth at cb. you can never have enough ball-hawking players in your secondary.

7th- alvin bowen, olb, iowa state- i don t know much about this kid, but he had an amazing season last year, he had 155 tackles, 5 for loss, a sack and an interception. obviously i ve never seen him play but his stats seem to indicate he is a tackling machine, and that is just what you want on special teams, and in the 7th round you aren t exactly looking for your next starting olb. so, why not take the guy with the proven stats? i have no idea where he is as a prospect, but i assume he will be available 2nd day, pretty late too, since i don t really know much about him. couldn t hurt to bring him in though.

as far as free agency goes, i

id go sam baker in the first

dennis dixon & jonathan stewart in the 2nd

eddie royal kr in the 7th

you would pick sam baker #4 overall?

you have to be kidding me.

i like dennis dixon too, but im not sure if id pick him over richardson or brinkley, both of which fill huge needs. but i do like him.

and jonathan stewart will not last to the 2nd, at least not in my opinion. he will go in the 15-20 range as far as im concerned. if not higher after the combine.

thanks for the comments though, but if brohm isnt a great value at #4 then baker is a very, very baaaaad value at #4.

i like dennis dixon too, but im not sure if id pick him over richardson or brinkley, both of which fill huge needs. but i do like him.

and jonathan stewart will not last to the 2nd, at least not in my opinion. he will go in the 15-20 range as far as im concerned. if not higher after the combine.

thanks for the comments though, but if brohm isnt a great value at #4 then baker is a very, very baaaaad value at #4.

my thoughts exactly, their are about 10 guys that will go before baker, if not more. and the falcons could use any one of them. baker would be fine at #12-#15.

is it true that if michael oher declares he will be considered a top 10 lt prospect? if so i'd go with him. i think we need to address ol first but i wouldn't want to reach for baker in the top 5. that would be such a hard situation for us to be in on draft day. i'm hoping long, dorsey, or mcfadden are available.

is it true that if michael oher declares he will be considered a top 10 lt prospect? if so i'd go with him. i think we need to address ol first but i wouldn't want to reach for baker in the top 5. that would be such a hard situation for us to be in on draft day. i'm hoping long, dorsey, or mcfadden are available.

ding ding ding!

i was going to have us move down with the vikings to take matt ryan or sam baker or someone else, but that was just a dream and almost certainly wont happen.

so, i had to make the hard decision and just pull the trigger on brohm. but yeah, i would not want to be in that situation on draft day.

hey mikevick7owns was that rossum trade with pittsburgh for a conditional pick a 6th round choice or a 7th or does it change based on performance?

you know im not sure. i doubt it was based on performance though, but maybe. i just cant remember. im sorry i cant answer your question... sad.gif

if he keeps playing well though then ill hope its performance based. tongue.gif

i like your mock, though i would take ryan over brohm.

but i wouldn't be upset w/brohm either.

thats exactly how i feel man, dont worry about it. wink.gif

i just have a gut feeling that ryan will be a good one in the nfl, but i dont think he is top 5 material i guess, but i do like him a lot.

thanks for the comments and questions everyone. smile.gif

no i would trade down, i don't think jake long will go #1 though..