to qb or not to qb

i'm of the opinion that our biggest need is o-line. if we can grab a franchise ot in the first round, that is the way we should go. the only other option that makes sense to me in the 1st is a qb.

my opinion on harrington: he will be a good, but not great qb in petrino's system. most games he will do a good job of what is being asked of him, but there will be a couple of games each year where he gets rattled and falls apart. that's been the pattern of his career. i had hoped it had changed, but we saw it come out again this year against tenn.

those couple of games are the difference between being 10-6 (and a perennial playoff team) and 8-8 (and a perenial borderline playoff team.)

you see how some franchises struggle year after year over the qb position, and the effect it has on the entire team. miami is a good example. denver is another one (how many years after elway retired did it take to finally get a solid qb?) if we pass on the chance to settle our qb position for the next decade, will we regret it in the future? when will we get another chance like this?

this will probably be our primary debate all the way up to draft day, so might as well get it started now.

to qb or not qb? that is the question.

i'm of the opinion that our biggest need is o-line. if we can grab a franchise ot in the first round, that is the way we should go. the only other option that makes sense to me in the 1st is a qb.

my opinion on harrington: he will be a good, but not great qb in petrino's system. most games he will do a good job of what is being asked of him, but there will be a couple of games each year where he gets rattled and falls apart. that's been the pattern of his career. i had hoped it had changed, but we saw it come out again this year against tenn.

those couple of games are the difference between being 10-6 (and a perennial playoff team) and 8-8 (and a perenial borderline playoff team.)

you see how some franchises struggle year after year over the qb position, and the effect it has on the entire team. miami is a good example. denver is another one (how many years after elway retired did it take to finally get a solid qb?) if we pass on the chance to settle our qb position for the next decade, will we regret it in the future? when will we get another chance like this?

this will probably be our primary debate all the way up to draft day, so might as well get it started now.

to qb or not qb? that is the question.

well first of all we need veteran ol and to draft some high ol , i have seen as many really good 2nd rd ol as 1st rd and several good ones coming out of the 3rd round .

plus how can we judge harriginton with the ol we have now ? when he has been given the time like brady has each and ever game , then joey has been superb and we could not ask for a better qb , but i still think we should take either brohmn or ryan who i like both and i will not know whick one i want most untill a week before the draft , right now i'm learning toward matt ryan. but we need one of these guys to train and give good competition to harrington , we shoud have never goetten leftwich and i knew this when we got him , no use in saing anything thou , because fans on here will not believe it till they see it anyway.

the reason why we should qb in the first is becuase every team needs 2 starting quality qbs , in case one goes down. that is the only reason. same as rbs . if we new harrington would never be hurt , no , i would not draft a qb in the 1st rd . plus drafting one of the 2 i haev mentioned gives us a chance to get a star at the position ,not just a good one. if the qb we draft becomes a star then i think joey would be a great 2nd string qb and shocley a great 3rd string for the future.

the most dominant and consistent teams in the nfl have great qbs. and in today's nfl, you have to be able to score points to win. you can still have a great defense and give up points to a powerhouse offense like dallas, indy, and new england. if the goal of this franchise is to win a super bowl, then getting a franchise qb has to be priority #1.

imo, next year's draft is loaded with offensive talent. there are even a lot of tackles that don't get much mention n this board that could turn out to be very good. i think a great lt can be had in the 2nd round. qbs are much harder to judge, but if you believe a guy has the talent to be elite, you snatch him up in round 1. don't forget that the falcons should have a lot more cap room, and can pursue a good vet along the ol as well...

to answer that very good question, i have to see what harrington and leftwich can do with the ol as it is. both qb's should be given plenty of opportunities to show what they bring. if either harrington or leftwich play well enough and consistently, then i don't see a reason to take a qb in the first round. however, if doubts persist at the end of the season, then a qb should be drafted. like many on this board, i am leaning towards ryan.

i should mention that i am notoriously bad at identifying a good qb. i like ryan leaf more than manning. i liked akili smith and felt that he was the best qb of his draft. so, i am not the qb predictor.

if we keep our qb's and hope that shockley is good enough to start in the future, then we have to protect them better. it may not take a first round selection to add a very good pass blocker. tony hills comes to mind as a good second candidate. excellent run blockers should be available into the third round. that would leave us with an open pick in the first round. i like dorsey, but i am guessing that he will be gone by our pick. ellis is a possibility, but i have not seen enough of him to tell. there is also the possiblilty of drafting a true fs, like phillips.

it all boils down to how well harrington and leftwich perform this season.

looking at this draft, i would take a qb in the first. second at the latest (booty, ainge or henne).

the qb is the top guy on any team, and great teams all have/had great qbs. i am looking at this team long term, and we need a great qb, not a decent patch work guy who didnt make it like harrington or leftwich.

i am all for brohm or ryan in round one. really any qb we take high i will have faith in because we have 2 of the best qb guys in football in petrino and musgrave.

looking at this draft, i would take a qb in the first. second at the latest (booty, ainge or henne).

the qb is the top guy on any team, and great teams all have/had great qbs. i am looking at this team long term, and we need a great qb, not a decent patch work guy who didnt make it like harrington or leftwich.

i am all for brohm or ryan in round one. really any qb we take high i will have faith in because we have 2 of the best qb guys in football in petrino and musgrave.

god no to booty, ainger or henne

dennis dixon will most likely be there for us to use one of our seconds.

one thing we should keep in mind is that if we draft a qb in the 1st, he had better be mentally tough (or have very good earplugs.) people like the 2-live-stews will pound on him relentlessly for no other reason than he is vick's replacement.

atlanta will not be an easy spot for any young qb.

i believe that the falcons should use their first round pick on mcfadden. he would give the falcons an excellent 1-2 punch with norwood. round 2a. i'd select curtis painter because he has the quickess release in college football. he reminds me of tony romo. a qb with a quick release takes a enormous amount of pressure off the offensive line. round 2b. i select micheal oher ot a 6'5 330lbs. solid tackle who can really help blaylock move the chains.

i think the quickest way to improve you team is through the qb position and i think both brohm and ryan are franchise type players and you just can't pass on guys like that....it's been proven over and over again.

and judging by some of the comments last night we need a spark to egnight this fanbase and our team and arming petrino with brian brohm is a good way to do it.

i think long and dorsey are phenominal players but those aren't exactly the players that are going to get you to the postseason. plus the draft is very deep with high-end ots and we can get first round talent at that position in the second round.

right now brain brohm is the pick.

i think the quickest way to improve you team is through the qb position and i think both brohm and ryan are franchise type players and you just can't pass on guys like that....it's been proven over and over again.

my thinking is going something like this:

if we can get a guy that will be a cornerstone of our franchise for a decade, a steve bartkowski or mike vick (who would have been had he not gotten into off field problems), then i'm all for it.

if we're talking about a "good" qb (like a matt hasselbeck of seattle or a matt schaub, who can take a team a long way if he is surrounded by a good team, but won't carry a team), then i don't think a high first rounder is justified. we've got two guys that (at least marginally) fall in that category already. those type of qbs can be found after the 1st round, if you do your homework. this is one area where mckay actually has a pretty good track record. he found schaub late, and people forget that simms (who i think would have developed into a much better qb had he not had gruden as his coach) was drafted at the end of the 3rd round also.

god no to booty, ainger or henne

dennis dixon will most likely be there for us to use one of our seconds.

henne is actually a very good qb.

and dennis dixon is not a nfl qb

and judging by some of the comments last night we need a spark to egnight this fanbase and our team and arming petrino with brian brohm is a good way to do it.

i think long and dorsey are phenominal players but those aren't exactly the players that are going to get you to the postseason. plus the draft is very deep with high-end ots and we can get first round talent at that position in the second round.

right now brain brohm is the pick.

him or ryan.

i can hear it now, "w/the 4th pick in the 2008 nfl draft, the atlanta falcons select brian brohm, qb, university of louisville."