javon walker calls out the steelers..

FalconMama

javon walker will undergo surgery, miss more games

cbs4 broncos insiders sign ups: get broncos email updates or text 4broncos to 66247 for free wireless text updates

slideshow: complete broncos roster

(ap) denver broncos wide receiver javon walker will undergo surgery on his right knee on friday and will be out for "a few weeks," coach mike shanahan said thursday.

walker missed the broncos' past two games because of swelling but practiced monday and wednesday.

"javon's not feeling very good," shanahan said. "he'll get operated on tomorrow in houston, so he'll be out for a few weeks."

shanahan didn't have a precise timetable for walker's return.

here's the aricle with javon calling out the steeler db

walker puts it all on the line

javon has remedy for jay-c: chuck it to me

by mark kiszla

the denver post

article last updated: 10/17/2007 11:49:55 pm mdt

wearing a scruffy beard and three straight losses, quarterback jay cutler appears weary from carrying the weight of broncos nation on his young shoulders.

how can jay-c rediscover his mojo?

"throw me the ball!" denver receiver javon walker said wednesday, talking smack, trying to find some way to give a shaken team its swagger back.

he was loud and proud, boldly issuing a three-point bulletin.

1) walker wants to be the man to lift the broncos out of this mess.

2) if the broncos are serious about finally putting big points on the scoreboard, coach mike shanahan will go heavy with walker in the game plan.

3) despite the 98-pound weakling that denver's offense now appears to be, the visiting pittsburgh steelers had better be scared sunday night, when walker intends to flex his muscles.

it was a bold message guaranteed to ###### ears and possibly irritate egos all the way from the pittsburgh locker room to shanahan's office in colorado.

walker suggested that before cutler can become more dangerous, the broncos must grant more creative freedom to a second-year quarterback whose record is 4-6 in 10 nfl starts.

"when you have a young quarterback, you're in a position where he's just doing what he's told. swagger comes whenever you know your ability and you know what you can do. and when you hear something that doesn't work, you just do what you know you can do," said walker, waiting for cutler to let down his shaggy hair and come out firing.

"right now, it's hard to get some swagger, when you're just doing what you're told to do."

with a meager four touchdown passes to his credit and a qb rating that ranks him 23rd in the league, there has not been enough jazzy jay-c and too much bland cutler in the denver offense. if the broncos wanted boring, they could have re-hired brian griese.

"it's been tough. anytime you're losing, it gets hard, especially on quarterbacks," cutler said.

when will the offense wake up? although the broncos are averaging 15 points per game, walker insisted the pittsburgh defense should be filled with apprehension.

"i'm not worried about nothing," walker said. "the guy who is going to line up over me has to be scared."

when cutler needs a first down against the steelers, walker knows exactly where the quarterback should look to throw: no. 84.

"that's what has been planted in my head, and it's not going nowhere, because it helped me to get to this point where i am today," walker said.

so would walker dare approach cutler on the denver sideline with a demand to get himself more involved, if the offense bogs down?

"you can, but sometimes it doesn't work that well, when a receiver says, 'throw me the ball.' the obvious way you get to the quarterback is you get to the coaches," walker said.

with injured center tom nalen gone for the year and veteran receiver rod smith yet to play a down, walker is not alone in noticing the broncos need to find new heroes.

"i know what i have to do to become a rod smith or a john lynch. it's time for me to step up and be more of a leader, vocally and on the field. you can't just talk about it. you've got to be about it," said 23-year-old brandon marshall, who joined cutler during the quarterback's weekly press conference, then stole the microphone and the show.

asked how jay-c might rekindle his killer instinct, marshall did not hesitate.

"throw it deep," he said.

as nervous stomachs churn at dove valley, the broncos can't stop the run or hide from the reality of what's on the line for a reeling team with fading super bowl dreams.

lose to the steelers and there's a real danger the rest of this nfl season will be a lost cause in denver.