dogs bowling but where?? great article on uga's possibilities..

SacFalcFan

atlanta - the waiting begins now. although georgia won't be playing for the sec championship after tennessee's win at kentucky, the 6th-ranked bulldogs can take solace that they'll receive a pretty good consolation prize a berth in a yet-to-be-determined bcs game.

it won't be the sugar bowl. georgia lost out on that opportunity after arkansas upset lsu, meaning the winner of this weekend's sec title game between the tigers and tennessee will earn the automatic berth to the sugar bowl, which is under contract to the take the sec championship.

three other big time bowls- the rose, fiesta and orange bowl are all still part of the equation.

athletic director damon evans said after georgia's 31-17 win over georgia tech that he'll be calling the representatives from each of the those bowls to state the bulldogs' case.

"there's still some shaking out to do with the games next week, but we'll get on the phone with the bowls, we'll talk with them about what the university of georgia has to offer," evans said. "but i'd like to say it like this: our team speaks for itself, this group of young men and this coaching staff, what they've done this year when everybody thought we were down and out. i think this speaks very highly of this program."

evans said he's confident bulldog fans will travel to whichever bcs bowl selects georgia as an at-large team.

"i have no reservations whatsoever," evans said. "the bulldog nation travels well. our fans will be excited to go to the rose, the fiesta, and the orange. i know they'll back us as they always do."

scenarios are in place that would land the bulldogs in any one of the three.

the rose bowl becomes an option if ohio state lands in the bcs championship game, with the fiesta bowl a more likely option in that georgia - even if the big 12 champion does not qualify for the title game - could receive an invitation.

bulldog center fernando velasco hopes the orange bowl gives georgia a call.

velasco and some teammates took a summer vacation to south beach, and would love the opportunity to go again.

if georgia does go to the orange bowl, the bulldogs would be paired against the acc champion, which will be either boston college or virginia tech.

some fans threw oranges onto the field at bobby dodd stadium as if to offer their preference.

"i want to go to miami because i'll know it will be warm," velasco said. "i'd love to stay down south."

the bulldogs (10-2) are expected to move up to fourth in this week's bcs poll, which will be announced sunday afternoon.

"i'm not going to politic, but if we get to go, i'm sure we'll be happy with where we wind up," georgia coach mark richt said. "while i'm disappointed that we don't get to play for the sec championship, this would be a nice reward."

georgia is expected to rise to fourth in this week's bcs standings, which will be announced late this afternoon. the bcs bowl bids will be announced next sunday afternoon.

it's really funny to me that we are ranked higher than both of the teams that are playing for the conference championship. laugh.gif

if we are in the orange bowl vs virginia tech, i might have to choke someone. i don't want to see that bowl game 2 years in a row. of course, that's assuming virginia tech handles boston college like they should have the first time. i wouldn't mind seeing georgia steamroll boston college. biggrin.gif

it's really funny to me that we are ranked higher than both of the teams that are playing for the conference championship. laugh.gif

if we are in the orange bowl vs virginia tech, i might have to choke someone. i don't want to see that bowl game 2 years in a row. of course, that's assuming virginia tech handles boston college like they should have the first time. i wouldn't mind seeing georgia steamroll boston college. biggrin.gif

i wouidn't mind seeing bc in the orange.

but i would kill to play eitehr sc in the rose or ou in the fiesta, that would rule!

but i would kill to play eitehr sc in the rose or ou in the fiesta, that would rule!

well personally, i think we end up in the fiesta vs ou or kansas... depending on if ou wins or loses against mizzou. if they lose, i don't see ou in a bcs bowl... mizzou is in the title game and 11-1 kansas is a good look for the big 12's fiesta tie-in should mizzou make it.

i'd love to see usc vs uga... that would be awesome.

well personally, i think we end up in the fiesta vs ou or kansas... depending on if ou wins or loses against mizzou. if they lose, i don't see ou in a bcs bowl... mizzou is in the title game and 11-1 kansas is a good look for the big 12's fiesta tie-in should mizzou make it.

i'd love to see usc vs uga... that would be awesome.

i want to see sc simply b/c i know a ton of pac-10 folks (my girlfriend graduated from cal) that insist the pac-10 is better (yes, clearly they smoke a lot) than the sec, blah blah blah...and they always trump out the fact that sc got arkansas and auburn on down years and tennessee and cal earlier this year...

i'd love for nothing more than to bring their pompous ***es down a peg and show them where they really stand on the food chain!

i want to see sc simply b/c i know a ton of pac-10 folks (my girlfriend graduated from cal) that insist the pac-10 is better (yes, clearly they smoke a lot) than the sec, blah blah blah...and they always trump out the fact that sc got arkansas and auburn on down years and tennessee and cal earlier this year...

i'd love for nothing more than to bring their pompous ***es down a peg and show them where they really stand on the food chain!