this for those for rivalry weekend.. ajc did a study on the 10 rivalries..

SacFalcFan

a few things they found out. i can't find it on the website, but it's in the paper.

the 10 rivalries:

osu-michigan

florida-fsu

auburn-alabama

clemson-southcarolina

georgia-tech

harvard-yales

california-stanford

texas-texasa&m

southern cal-ucla

navy-army

upsets are rare - the team that enter with the better record won 56 times and lost 10 times. the better team was more likely to beat its rival than to win randomly selected game from earlier on the schedule.

specifically, the teams that entered the rilvalry with a better record had a combined .774 winning percentage before the rilvarly game and a combined .848 winning percentage in the rivalry game.

there's no place like home - the home team is 30-35. road teams are 6-2 in the game between harvard and yale and 5-2 in what used to be called the iron bowl between alabama and auburn. georgia has a 3 game wining streak at bobby dodd stadium, and tech's only victory over georgia in the 2000s came at sanford stadium.

biggest upset:

ucla was 6-5 heading into the 2006 game with 10-1 usc. the bruins won 13-9 knocking the trojans out of a national championship game berth.

that's the exception. the 10 rivalries study featured five games in the 2000s in which one team went on to earn a national championship game berth after beating another team that was out of the running. ohio state over michigan in 2002, usc over ucla in 2004 and 2005, texas over a&m in 2005, and florida over florida state in 2006.

domination is the norm:

what georgia has done to gt in the 2000s hardly sets it apart. seven of the 10 rivalries in the ajc study have been lopsided in terms of wins and losses and the georgia-gt games have been close on average than in six of the other rivalries.

i think rivalries are just up to the individuals in it. i saw herbstreit get so fussy about people not thinking osu/michigan is the biggest rivalry. how do you expect people who dont give a **** about osu or michigan to give a **** about the osu/michigan game?

for me, georgia/auburn is the the game i care most about every year. i cant stand auburn. i cant stand auburn fans. i cant stand high-school players from georgia going to play football at auburn.

i dont expect that to be recognized nationally though.

i think rivalries are just up to the individuals in it. i saw herbstreit get so fussy about people not thinking osu/michigan is the biggest rivalry. how do you expect people who dont give a **** about osu or michigan to give a **** about the osu/michigan game?

for me, georgia/auburn is the the game i care most about every year. i cant stand auburn. i cant stand auburn fans. i cant stand high-school players from georgia going to play football at auburn.

agreed.. when i lived in cali no one ever talked about osu-michigan.. locally you could barely get coverage on it.. that rivalry may be the biggest on espn since they have a huge big 10 contract, but the voters were clear overwhelming that osu-michigan is not the biggest rivalry anymore nationally..

agreed.. when i lived in cali no one ever talked about osu-michigan.. locally you could barely get coverage on it.. that rivalry may be the biggest on espn since they have a huge big 10 contract, but the voters were clear overwhelming that osu-michigan is not the biggest rivalry anymore nationally..