believe it or not, national title within reach...

SacFalcFan

believe it or not, national title within reach

by chip towers | monday, november 19, 2007, 10:46 am

the atlanta journal-constitution

well, here we are in week 13 of the college football season and, remarkably, georgia is sitting at no. 7 in the bcs rankings and no. 6 in the ap poll. now let s hear it, who among you saw that coming?

i didn t. i thought it was possible the bulldogs could lose as few as two games (i thought three was more realistic) but i never dreamed they would be in this position eastern division champions with sec and national championships still within their reach.

that s right; i said national championship. now let me preface this with, i don t expect georgia to either play for and certainly not win the national title. heck, i don t even think it s going to make it to the sec title game. but, the point it, it is a possibility.

don t think so? here s how:

kentucky beats tennessee saturday to put georgia in the sec championship game,and the dogs beat georgia tech to finish the regular season 10-2.

no. 2 kansas loses to missouri this weekend, then missouri loses to texas or oklahoma in the big 12 title game.

no. 3 west virginia (9-1) loses to connecticut (9-2) in morgantown on saturday (i know, this one is a real stretch). the mountaineers still have pittsburgh (4-6), too.

no. 6 arizona state loses to southern cal or arizona in the next two weeks.

georgia beats no. 1 lsu in the dome to earn the right to meet ohio state for the bcs national championship.

crazy as it sounds it s definitely not beyond the realm of possibility. here s the kicker: just think, if the dogs take care of business against south carolina in week two then they re probably already in the think of the national championship hunt.

you can bet that has crossed mark richt s mind. in fact he admitted as much after this past saturday s win over kentucky. he said he pulled out the game tape from the south carolina the other day and scrolled through it again, i guess because wanted to see all the plays we missed.

but there s nothing the dogs can do about that now. all they can do is control what s in front of them and, all of the sudden, all of those possibilities are pretty good. even if tennessee wins and they don t get to the sec championship, georgia will be part of the bcs bowl package if it handles tech on saturday (that s another story altogether). and don t automatically pencil in the dogs for the sugar bowl. president adams himself was telling me this past saturday that the orange bowl has a great interest in bringing the georgia folks down to miami. how would you like that?

ok, what would you say the odds are of the dogs playing for the national championship? should they get by tech would you rather see them take on lsu in the sec title game or cruise on into a bcs bowl (provided of course the tigers beat tennessee)? and if it came down to any of the bcs bowls, would you rather see georgia in the sec traditional sugar bowl or maybe the orange or one of the others?

wow,you are an strange creature!! blink.gif

how could you hate the school you attend so much..i do not get it at all.. blink.gif

maybe because he was a tennessee fan first? unsure.gif

wild shot in the dark with that one. i hated the high school i attended...does that make me a 'strange creature'?

he has a secret love for uga

but on the real he doesnt hate uga i think he hates the fans.( which is why most people hate uga)

this is pretty true. it's one of the major reasons i hate uga, aside from them being probably our biggest rival.

how could you hate the school you attend so much..i do not get it at all.. blink.gif

maybe because he was a tennessee fan first? unsure.gif

wild shot in the dark with that one. i hated the high school i attended...does that make me a 'strange creature'?

but on the real he doesnt hate uga i think he hates the fans.( which is why most people hate uga)

this is pretty true. it's one of the major reasons i hate uga, aside from them being probably our biggest rival.

i love the school...hate the football team...grew up hating them...that's how it's always been.

i love the school...hate the football team...grew up hating them...that's how it's always been.

why do you here (uga) then? why didn't you go to ut? hope i'm guessing? or uga is a better school? (not a crack at ut, i really have no idea where they stand academically)

my roommate grew up an auburn fan, but pulls for uga when they don't play auburn. needless to say, i enjoyed november 10 very very much. god i hate auburn...

why do you here (uga) then? why didn't you go to ut? hope i'm guessing? or uga is a better school? (not a crack at ut, i really have no idea where they stand academically)

my roommate grew up an auburn fan, but pulls for uga when they don't play auburn. needless to say, i enjoyed november 10 very very much. god i hate auburn...

did he enjoy the 45-20 score.. lolol i have a few auburn friends and they wouldn't answer their email in over a week.. lol

did he enjoy the 45-20 score.. lolol i have a few auburn friends and they wouldn't answer their email in over a week.. lol

you can say that for most fans.. i hate bama fans, i hate florida fans, i hate vol fans, i hate south carolina fans, i loathe gt fans.. of course not all of their fans since i like a number on this board, but most of them..

gt fans??? laugh.gif

what would they even have to argue about? about how they beat duke or nc?

you can say that for most fans.. i hate bama fans, i hate florida fans, i hate vol fans, i hate south carolina fans, i loathe gt fans.. of course not all of their fans since i like a number on this board, but most of them..

gt fans??? laugh.gif

what would they even have to argue about? about how they beat duke or nc?