plenty on line for both sides in uga-tech game..

SacFalcFan

plenty on line for both sides in uga-tech game

by carter strickland

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 11/19/07 athens georgia tech's chan gailey could be coaching for his job.

georgia's mark richt could be coaching for a berth in the the sugar bowl or, egad, beyond.

and they are playing each other. welcome to rivalry week in the peach state, where once again a lot will be on the line at bobby dodd stadium on saturday.

first, there is gailey. there is little doubt there is some consternation on the flats when it comes to gailey's tenure. what is left to wonder is whether this week's result will be added to the debate or if his future is already a foregone conclusion.

gailey, who is 0-5 against georgia, didn't have any answers.

"i am coaching the best i can coach," gailey said. "week in and week out, that is all i can do. i can't worry about all that other stuff. i am trying to do the best i can do day in, day out. i don't worry about all that other stuff."

the way schools hire and fire has richt worried.

"you just don't know sometimes what makes people decide what they want to decide," richt said when asked about gailey's future. "the one thing people tend to miss somewhere along the way is that the other teams are pretty good, too. those other teams, they've got nice facilities and nice stadiums and they have great athletes.

"i just don't think people give the opponents enough credit," richt said. "it is a very, very highly competitive situation. the bottom line is one team is winning and one team is losing every week."

the problem for gailey is that georgia has been the team that has been winning this rivalry week.

and that brings us to the second thing to watch this week: georgia at its position of power in the polls. the bulldogs, who moved to no. 6 in the associated press poll, know where they stand and what they stand to gain.

"our guys understand that there is a very good possibility at us having a bcs opportunity if we win, regardless of what happens in the kentucky-tennessee game," richt said.

if kentucky wins, georgia, win or lose against tech, goes to the sec title game. if tennessee wins, georgia wins and lsu wins out, including in the title game, georgia is the logical replacement team for the sugar bowl.

now while all those scenarios are floating around in the players' heads, it's not the focus this week or the motivation.

"just playing georgia tech is plenty of motivation for our guys to get ready to play," richt said.

as for some extra motivation for the georgia fans, it is still possible remotely possible that georgia could wind up in the national title game even if it doesn't make it to the sec title game, provided it beats tech. the only team that georgia probably can't jump in the bcs is ohio state; all others in front of the bulldogs are vulnerable.

"the bottom line is the system is in place and there is no rule that i know that would keep that from happening," richt said when asked about a team that doesn't win its conference going to the bcs title game. "if it happens, then that is the way the rules are set up."

by carter strickland

published on: 11/19/07 athens — georgia tech's chan gailey could be coaching for his job.

georgia's mark richt could be coaching for a berth in the the sugar bowl or, egad, beyond.

and they are playing each other. welcome to rivalry week in the peach state, where once again a lot will be on the line at bobby dodd stadium on saturday.

first, there is gailey. there is little doubt there is some consternation on the flats when it comes to gailey's tenure. what is left to wonder is whether this week's result will be added to the debate or if his future is already a foregone conclusion.

"i am coaching the best i can coach," gailey said. "week in and week out, that is all i can do. i can't worry about all that other stuff. i am trying to do the best i can do day in, day out. i don't worry about all that other stuff."

"you just don't know sometimes what makes people decide what they want to decide," richt said when asked about gailey's future. "the one thing people tend to miss somewhere along the way is that the other teams are pretty good, too. those other teams, they've got nice facilities and nice stadiums and they have great athletes.

"i just don't think people give the opponents enough credit," richt said. "it is a very, very highly competitive situation. the bottom line is one team is winning and one team is losing every week."

the problem for gailey is that georgia has been the team that has been winning this rivalry week.

and that brings us to the second thing to watch this week: georgia at its position of power in the polls. the bulldogs, who moved to no. 6 in the associated press poll, know where they stand and what they stand to gain.

"our guys understand that there is a very good possibility at us having a bcs opportunity if we win, regardless of what happens in the kentucky-tennessee game," richt said.

if kentucky wins, georgia, win or lose against tech, goes to the sec title game. if tennessee wins, georgia wins and lsu wins out, including in the title game, georgia is the logical replacement team for the sugar bowl.

now while all those scenarios are floating around in the players' heads, it's not the focus this week or the motivation.

"just playing georgia tech is plenty of motivation for our guys to get ready to play," richt said.

as for some extra motivation for the georgia fans, it is still possible — remotely possible — that georgia could wind up in the national title game even if it doesn't make it to the sec title game, provided it beats tech. the only team that georgia probably can't jump in the bcs is ohio state; all others in front of the bulldogs are vulnerable.

"the bottom line is the system is in place and there is no rule that i know that would keep that from happening," richt said when asked about a team that doesn't win its conference going to the bcs title game. "if it happens, then that is the way the rules are set up."

sounds like richt doesn't want gailey fired... i wonder why. rolleyes.gif

by carter strickland

published on: 11/19/07 athens — georgia tech's chan gailey could be coaching for his job.

as for some extra motivation for the georgia fans, it is still possible — remotely possible — that georgia could wind up in the national title game even if it doesn't make it to the sec title game, provided it beats tech. the only team that georgia probably can't jump in the bcs is ohio state; all others in front of the bulldogs are vulnerable.

sounds like richt doesn't want gailey fired... i wonder why. rolleyes.gif