jerseys were bulldogs' dark secret..

SacFalcFan

jerseys were bulldogs' dark secret

players, coach don't reveal black jerseys until gametime

by chip towers

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 11/10/07 athens as it turns out, mark richt is quite the schemer.

the georgia coach revealed after saturday's win that the black jerseys the team wore against auburn have been in storage since this past summer. and not only that, but richt had every intention of unveiling them on this particular day.

"the auburn game was the target from the beginning, before the season started," richt said. "i was just hoping there would be some kind of significance by the time we got to this game. it was more good fortune than good planning."

what made richt's latest ploy particularly brilliant was his ability to pull it off without the secret getting out. only the seniors knew. none of the other players were clued in. even the assistant coaches were left in the dark.

a quick q&a about saturday's blackout:

what did you think about the georgia fans' response to the blackout?

richt: "i'm just proud to be a georgia bulldog right now. to walk out there and see our student body jammed packed in their sections, all decked out in black, it inspired our team. when i called our team up after pregame warmup, i said, 'just look into those stands. you ever seen anything like that before?'

"after we came back out in our black after the coin toss, it was as if we were in a movie or something. it was pretty surreal. it meant so much to the players to see the bulldog nation unite like that and make it happen."

were you concerned about a backlash had georgia not won?

richt: "even if we had lost the game i was really excited to see how the bulldog nation responded to what we asked. but i'm glad it turned out to be a victory. i told the team in the locker room before the game: 'you've been wanting these black jerseys forever. now i've got my neck sticking out here. if you ever want to wear them again, let's win.'

"i knew i'd catch all kinds of grief if we lost this one. but i did it because the seniors wanted to do it. i did it because i thought, let's go have some fun. how harmful could this be? anyway, it was fun and i'm glad we won."

why now?

richt: "after having a little time to do something besides be so focused on the game plan and all that kind of stuff, i've been able to look around a little. i thought to myself, these guys, they don't get paid; they work their tails off; we grind them on the field; we grind them in the offseason; we grind them academically. we're on them all the time. we're putting pressure on them to achieve their goals is what we're doing but sometimes ... i just thought it was something simple we could do where they could have a good time."

so who knew what when?

kicker brandon coutu: "only the seniors knew. the rest of the team didn't know until right before the game. we went out there and did the coin flip in red [jerseys] because we wanted the team to get all the cheers. it was fun the see the whole place get electrified like that. it was nice to see the whole fan base back us. we're all in this together. the bulldog nation definitely had our backs tonight."

how were the black jerseys unveiled?

coutu: "nobody saw the jerseys until right before the game. it was dark and we had all the lights out while we said our team prayer like we usually do. when the lights came on our black jerseys were out. the locker room went pretty crazy. same reaction from the team as we had from the fans."

how were you able to keep it a secret?

center fernando velasco: "i didn't tell my girlfriend, i didn't tell my mama, i didn't tell nobody. that was the only way it could work."

why was wearing black so important?

safety kelin johnson: "it's all about fun. i've been here four years and never once had coach richt let us wear black or run out on the field like we did at florida. he's just making it more of a game. and [the media] likes drama, likes excitement. we wanted to help y'all out, too."

did the underclassmen really not know?

tailback knowshon moreno: "we really didn't know. we walked in, [the black jerseys] weren't here. in the back of our minds we thought this week it was going to happen and then today we thought it really wasn't. it was really exciting when they gave them to us."

so coach richt lied about not having black jerseys?

richt: "i never, ever said we weren't going to wear them; i never said we were going to wear them. i just said the seniors asked me for a blackout on monday. how in the world could i get jerseys ready in a week's time? it's impossible. that worked for about two days but you guys kept hounding me."

by chip towers

the georgia coach revealed after saturday's win that the black jerseys the team wore against auburn have been in storage since this past summer. and not only that, but richt had every intention of unveiling them on this particular day.

"the auburn game was the target from the beginning, before the season started," richt said. "i was just hoping there would be some kind of significance by the time we got to this game. it was more good fortune than good planning."

what made richt's latest ploy particularly brilliant was his ability to pull it off without the secret getting out. only the seniors knew. none of the other players were clued in. even the assistant coaches were left in the dark.

richt: "i'm just proud to be a georgia bulldog right now. to walk out there and see our student body jammed packed in their sections, all decked out in black, it inspired our team. when i called our team up after pregame warmup, i said, 'just look into those stands. you ever seen anything like that before?'

"after we came back out in our black after the coin toss, it was as if we were in a movie or something. it was pretty surreal. it meant so much to the players to see the bulldog nation unite like that and make it happen."

richt: "even if we had lost the game i was really excited to see how the bulldog nation responded to what we asked. but i'm glad it turned out to be a victory. i told the team in the locker room before the game: 'you've been wanting these black jerseys forever. now i've got my neck sticking out here. if you ever want to wear them again, let's win.'

"i knew i'd catch all kinds of grief if we lost this one. but i did it because the seniors wanted to do it. i did it because i thought, let's go have some fun. how harmful could this be? anyway, it was fun and i'm glad we won."

why now?

richt: "after having a little time to do something besides be so focused on the game plan and all that kind of stuff, i've been able to look around a little. i thought to myself, these guys, they don't get paid; they work their tails off; we grind them on the field; we grind them in the offseason; we grind them academically. we're on them all the time. we're putting pressure on them to achieve their goals is what we're doing but sometimes ... i just thought it was something simple we could do where they could have a good time."

so who knew what when?

kicker brandon coutu: "only the seniors knew. the rest of the team didn't know until right before the game. we went out there and did the coin flip in red [jerseys] because we wanted the team to get all the cheers. it was fun the see the whole place get electrified like that. it was nice to see the whole fan base back us. we're all in this together. the bulldog nation definitely had our backs tonight."

coutu: "nobody saw the jerseys until right before the game. it was dark and we had all the lights out while we said our team prayer like we usually do. when the lights came on our black jerseys were out. the locker room went pretty crazy. same reaction from the team as we had from the fans."

center fernando velasco: "i didn't tell my girlfriend, i didn't tell my mama, i didn't tell nobody. that was the only way it could work."

safety kelin johnson: "it's all about fun. i've been here four years and never once had coach richt let us wear black or run out on the field like we did at florida. he's just making it more of a game. and [the media] likes drama, likes excitement. we wanted to help y'all out, too."

tailback knowshon moreno: "we really didn't know. we walked in, [the black jerseys] weren't here. in the back of our minds we thought this week it was going to happen and then today we thought it really wasn't. it was really exciting when they gave them to us."

richt: "i never, ever said we weren't going to wear them; i never said we were going to wear them. i just said the seniors asked me for a blackout on monday. how in the world could i get jerseys ready in a week's time? it's impossible. that worked for about two days but you guys kept hounding me."

this game has swayed atleast 2 on the fence recruits to come to georgia!!

by chip towers

why now?

so who knew what when?

this game has swayed atleast 2 on the fence recruits to come to georgia!!