georgia-auburn: best series in south, if not the world

pit&atlfan81

georgia-auburn: best series in south, if not the world

by mark bradley | thursday, november 8, 2007, 09:12 am

the atlanta journal-constitution

this will be my 20th georgia-auburn game, and i ve come to believe this is the best series in the south if not the whole wide world. alabama-auburn? too much hate. the world s largest outdoor whatever? too much alcohol. georgia-auburn is pure football, home-and-home, with a chill in the air and invariably something on the line.

georgia-auburn is great because, almost alone among football rivalries, the road team stands just as good a chance (if not better). georgia-auburn is great because of the schools shared history. (dooley went to auburn but coached georgia; dye was the other way around.) georgia-auburn is great because the games themselves tend to be classics. (not many georgia-florida games over the last 25 years have had memorable finishes.)

georgia-auburn had michael johnson s catch and devin aromashodu s fumble. georgia-auburn had auburn fumbling on the goal line in 1992 and georgia getting stopped on the goal line nine years later. georgia-auburn had four overtimes in 1996 i was 10 feet from corey allen when he caught the tying touchdown pass on the last play of regulation and another ot in 2000.

and it has had, as all rivalries must, its weirdness. james jackson missed the 1986 game because of his grandmother s funeral and georgia upset auburn with its second-string quarterback. (that was the infamous hose game.) terry bowden went for it on fourth-and-short in 1995 and essentially ended ray goff s tenure at georgia. kevin ramsey misdirected his defense in 1999 and auburn took a 31-0 halftime lead in athens. last year tra battle intercepted three first-half passes brandon cox managed four completions all told, two of those for minus-yardage and the previously reeling bulldogs took a 30-7 halftime lead in auburn.

but the georgia-auburn game i remember most is my first one. it was 1983. auburn was no. 3, georgia was no. 4. georgia had lost herschel to the usfl, and bo jackson had become the nation s best back. auburn won 13-7 between the hedges to clinch the sec and the sugar bowl, but the thing that stood out for me was doug smith overwhelming guy mcintyre on the line of scrimmage. three months later, that nugget helped me get this job.

feburary 1984: i d come down from lexington, ky., for an interview with the ajc. i had an audience with the editor. jim minter asked if i knew anything about college football. (mr. minter was a huge georgia fan and had a wide-angle photo of sanford stadium behind his desk.) i said i thought i did. he asked if i could name all the starting quarterbacks in the sec. i knew i couldn t i d have gotten nine, but ole miss would have stumped the band so i tried to change the subject.

i pointed to the picture. i can tell you why your team lost to auburn because your best offensive lineman got whipped by their best defensive lineman.

mr. minter thought for a minute before saying, still nearly won, though.

taking my vocational life in my hands, i said, yeah, but you didn t really deserve to.

and here mr. minter, who almost never smiled, actually smiled. when you re a fan, he said, you don t care if you deserve to.

we both laughed. i got the job. twenty-three years later, i still credit the georgia-auburn game

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bradley is right, uga-au is one of the best rivalries, if not the best rivalry in the south and one of the most underrated in all of cfb iyam!

ok ok ok.....i've been to an auburn vs georgia game and i will say that it is a great rivalry. your fans hate each other and i even saw a fight break out in the stands. but can you guys honestly say it's better than alabama/auburn?

bradley is right, uga-au is one of the best rivalries, if not the best rivalry in the south and one of the most underrated in all of cfb iyam!

ok ok ok.....i've been to an auburn vs georgia game and i will say that it is a great rivalry. your fans hate each other and i even saw a fight break out in the stands. but can you guys honestly say it's better than alabama/auburn?

i said it was one of the most underrated and doesn't get the pub or respect of say, the iron bowl.

i said it was one of the most underrated and doesn't get the pub or respect of say, the iron bowl.

i have to agree with midwest falcon. seriously, if you've never been in the state of alabama during the weekend of the game, try it. i live on tobacco road and can honestly say that unc-duke doesn't even touch it.

i have to agree with midwest falcon. seriously, if you've never been in the state of alabama during the weekend of the game, try it. i live on tobacco road and can honestly say that unc-duke doesn't even touch it.

even in basketball season? wow.

even in basketball season? wow.

underrated yes! i actually lived in athens for about six months. i went to a georgia/auburn game and was blown away by how much you guys dislike each other. i didn't even know it was a rivalry, but when you are there you can just feel the animosity between each other. it definately should be recognized as a rivalry.

underrated yes! i actually lived in athens for about six months. i went to a georgia/auburn game and was blown away by how much you guys dislike each other. i didn't even know it was a rivalry, but when you are there you can just feel the animosity between each other. it definately should be recognized as a rivalry.

1. alabama - auburn

2. georgia - auburn

3. tennessee - alabama

i can tell you from the perspective of someone who has been to all three games, went to school at alabama, goes to school at uga, and has a lot of contact with tennessee fans (man, i am messed up! blink.giflaugh.gif )...

- tennessee hates alabama more than anyone

- alabama fans truly do hate tennessee almost as much as auburn

- georgia is not auburn's biggest rival, and auburn is not even uga's biggest rival

so, why would you put uga vs. auburn (#3 sec program historically vs. like the #5) over tennessee vs. alabama (#2 vs. #1 historically)...tenn-alabama definitely has more hatred and is a match up of the 2 best teams in sec history...not to mention at least one of the teams is the other's biggest rival...unlike uga-auburn.

but, i guess it is all about personal preference. biggrin.gif

1. alabama - auburn

2. georgia - auburn

3. tennessee - alabama

i can tell you from the perspective of someone who has been to all three games, went to school at alabama, goes to school at uga, and has a lot of contact with tennessee fans (man, i am messed up! blink.giflaugh.gif )...

- georgia is not auburn's biggest rival, and auburn is not even uga's biggest rival

so, why would you put uga vs. auburn (#3 sec program historically vs. like the #5) over tennessee vs. alabama (#2 vs. #1 historically)...tenn-alabama definitely has more hatred and is a match up of the 2 best teams in sec history...not to mention at least one of the teams is the other's biggest rival...unlike uga-auburn.

because the deep south's oldest has about twenty years on the third saturday in october wink.gif

because the deep south's oldest has about twenty years on the third saturday in october wink.gif

because it's not all about the game itself, it's about the fans as well.

ask any lsu fan who their biggest rival of all time is. chances are they answer with tulane. it's not because the two teams are close in competition with each other, it's because the fanbases are so close together, even a good chunk of the city of new orleans roots for the tigers.

rivalry's are made by the fans. in this case, uga/au has a longer history between the two.

because it's not all about the game itself, it's about the fans as well.

ask any lsu fan who their biggest rival of all time is. chances are they answer with tulane. it's not because the two teams are close in competition with each other, it's because the fanbases are so close together, even a good chunk of the city of new orleans roots for the tigers.

rivalry's are made by the fans. in this case, uga/au has a longer history between the two.

well we will disagree here.. uga-auburn is the oldest rivalry in the south and the closest as well. ut and bama doesn't come close to it and it doesn't come close. how could you think that imo is wrong. and if you look at the results and what the games have met both teams have hurt each other on the national scale many times over and many times the one loss on the team was from one or the other team in this series. it's also the closest in record and points of any other series out there..

well we will disagree here.. uga-auburn is the oldest rivalry in the south and the closest as well. ut and bama doesn't come close to it and it doesn't come close. how could you think that imo is wrong. and if you look at the results and what the games have met both teams have hurt each other on the national scale many times over and many times the one loss on the team was from one or the other team in this series. it's also the closest in record and points of any other series out there..