any fans going to the auburn game? blackout.. other notes and scouting auburn.

SacFalcFan

georgia report

dogs want fans to wear all-black outfits

by chip towers

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 11/07/07 athens georgia's seniors are calling for a blackout of saturday's game against auburn.

that's not to say they want cbs not to televise it or to play it in the dark. they're asking bulldogs' fans to come dressed in black to create a "blackout" in the stands, much in the way penn state fans all wear white to "white-out" beaver stadium.

georgia coach mark richt said several of the bulldogs' seniors came to him with the idea after monday's practice. they were searching for his blessing and asked him to spread the word.

"i asked them why, and they said they thought it would be cool and it would show some great unity between the team and the fans," richt said.

nobody could say which player came up with the idea first, but they all seemed to back it.

"i think it's awesome," quarterback matthew stafford said. "i know when penn state does it, it's ridiculous and really cool looking. i think it's a cool thing to do. it's nice to get your fans involved, and it gives us something to look forward to."

said flanker mohamed massaquoi: "we're just trying to keep the fans close to us. they're always out there supporting us, and this is just a way to make them a little bit more interactive with us."

the key, however, is full participation.

"we tried to do it last year for tennessee, and it didn't work out that well," stafford said. "the student section did it, but nobody else did."

said senior tight end tripp chandler: "if it's done right, it can be pretty good, but everybody's got to commit to it. we can't have just students doing it or just the alumni or half-and-half. everybody has to do it. everybody's got to make sure whatever they bring is black. but we can definitely pull it off. we've just got to get the word out."

in the meantime, richt wore a black shirt to tuesday's press conference. "to get into the spirit," he said with a laugh.

moreno gets the icing and the cake

knowshon moreno has had his cake and he ate it, too. in celebration of the bulldogs freshman tailback surpassing 1,000 yards rushing, offensive coordinator mike bobo presented the entire offense with a giant cake in a team meeting before monday's practice.

"it was awesome," said moreno, who ran for 196 yards against troy. "we all just dug in. it was great to celebrate as an offense."

the cake was decorated with "georgia bulldogs" and moreno's rushing numbers 178 carries, 1,003 yards.

"it was a cool thing to do," stafford said. "coach bobo wanted to recognize not just knowshon but the linemen and receivers for blocking and the quarterbacks for getting us into the right play. it was something fresh, something new. kind of caught us off guard. all i know is i got a corner piece."

brown will be back on field saturday

senior tailback thomas brown, who has missed the past three games with a broken collarbone, will play on saturday, but richt said the coaches have not decided exactly how to utilize him.

in addition to being the bulldogs' starting tailback, brown was georgia's no. 1 kickoff returner, the safety on the kickoff team and a gunner on the punt team.

mainly, people want to know how much he might carry the ball on offense.

"until we see thomas practice [tuesday] and practice [wednesday] and gauge where he is physically and mentally, we won't have enough information to decide what to do," richt said. "until then we're just observing."

scouting auburn

auburn coach tommy tuberville described tuesday's practice as "high spirited" and said "four or five fights" broke out among the tigers' players. "you could tell we are playing a pretty intense game on saturday," tuberville said at his weekly news conference tuesday.

the intensity was not limited to the players. tuberville said offensive line coach hugh nall, a georgia graduate and starting center on georgia's 1980 national championship team, has been particularly testy.

"i don't talk to hugh the week of this game," tuberville said. "he is so intense with the other games, and then this one goes off the charts. i thought i saw him out there fighting one time, but actually he was breaking up a fight. he fell on a guy out there just trying to get them apart so that they can get practice going."

tuberville holds practice early in the day on tuesdays and thursdays the week of games. his theory is it gives teams more time to recover physically.

chip towers

it would be sweet if it worked... but i doubt the entire crowd will follow through with it.

question - why hasn't mikey henderson been returning punts the last couple games, ive missed a game or two this season so i guess something happened that im not aware of...

they used him to make the cake. smile.gif

it would be sweet if it worked... but i doubt the entire crowd will follow through with it.

question - why hasn't mikey henderson been returning punts the last couple games, ive missed a game or two this season so i guess something happened that im not aware of...

they used him to make the cake. smile.gif

flowers was one of the best returners in the country a few years ago before he was hurt and mickey is so valuable at the wr position they don't want to hurt his hammy (he has been recovering from hurting him a few games ago).. however last week they used both guys on one punt.. we will mickey back there soon.. but flowers is doing great back there.

flowers was one of the best returners in the country a few years ago before he was hurt and mickey is so valuable at the wr position they don't want to hurt his hammy (he has been recovering from hurting him a few games ago).. however last week they used both guys on one punt.. we will mickey back there soon.. but flowers is doing great back there.