moreno's passion revs up teammates.. also more sec honors for moreno..

SacFalcFan

georgia football

moreno's passion revs up teammates

by carter strickland

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 11/06/07 athens when thomas brown went down with injury during the tennessee game, there were questions about where georgia would find its offensive energy.

knowshon moreno provided the answer, and not in the way you might think.

sure, the long runs have stirred the excitement, but it is the every-down enthusiasm that has served this team well, coaches said. in addition, it is the way moreno pops up quickly and runs back to the huddle after every tackle that can provide some inspiration for other players.

"it gives our team energy when they see a guy that is carrying it a bunch and still jumping up and running back to the huddle saying i want it more," offensive coordinator mike bobo said. "this guy is playing with the type of effort and passion we expect here at georgia. it is very similar to [david] pollack when he first got here."

pollack was another player who was apt to jump around between plays and jump up quickly after a play was over.

"even some of the guys on his own team were like, 'what is this guy doing?' " bobo said. "but it tends to build and wear on guys, and they realize, i have got to play as hard as that guy if i want to do as well as he is doing."

moreno's energy also can have an effect on the defense.

"it has to [wear on a defense]," defensive line coach rodney garner said. "it has to. psychologically, you have to love the way the kid plays the game with a lot of passion, a lot of love."

moreno compared to tigers' cadillac

with auburn next up, it is natural that comparisons are being drawn between moreno and former tigers running back cadillac williams.

"he gave them a new lease on life," auburn's tommy tuberville said of moreno. "he is a playmaker. he runs the ball inside and outside a lot like [williams]. he is a tough kid. he is going to have a future in this league."

"[being compared to williams] ought to be a compliment to him, because i have a lot of respect for cadillac and the type of player he was and the type of person cadillac was," garner said. "i thought he was a fine person, fine young man."

moreno, who has started three games, has 1,003 rushing yards, which ranks third in the sec.

allen needed break from return game

georgia alternated asher allen and ramarcus brown on kickoff returns saturday against troy and may continue to do so this week.

the reason for the switch is that allen, who replaced brown, needed some rest, coach mark richt said.

"sometimes asher is just kind of gassed," he said. "... he is playing corner and nickel, so there is not much opportunity for him to get a rest. if the opponent has a long drive, asher may just be gassed, so you want to make sure someone else is there, so we gave ramarcus a shot."

time set for game against kentucky

the nov. 17 georgia-kentucky game was picked up by lincoln financial sports to be televised at 12:30 p.m. the broadcast team for the game will be dave neal (play-by-play), dave archer (color analyst) and dave baker (sideline).

cbs opted to broadcast lsu at ole miss for its 3:30 p.m. slot, meaning espn will likely choose the vanderbilt-tennessee game in knoxville for its 7:45 p.m. broadcast.

running back piles up sec honors

moreno has been named the sec freshman of the week for the third time this season. the 5-foot-11, 207-pounder rushed for a career-high 196 yards on 26 carries for three touchdowns during no. 10 georgia's 44-34 win over troy in athens. in addition to averaging 7.5 yards per carry, moreno became the 12th player in school history to run for 1,000 yards in a season.

moreno's rushing total was the most for a bulldog since verron haynes ran for 207 yards against georgia tech in 2001.

it was moreno's fourth career game going for more than 100 yards and his third in a row after racking up a combined 541 yards during georgia's wins over vanderbilt, no. 9 florida and troy. moreno moved to the no. 2 spot on the school's all-time list for rushing yards by a freshman.

staff writer chip towers contributed to this report.

i was down on the sidelines briefly before halftime on saturday... at the time, we were tied with troy state 10-10, and the coaches were trying to talk up their players with a bunch of "let's see some fundamentals and technique out there". my friend and i agreed that no one even knew what that meant. shortly thereafter knowshon came walking over and he yelled at the offensive line. he looked fiercely angry, and made sure to drop the f-bomb way more than was necessary, more like an f-cluster-bomb actually.

so, we went into halftime 24-10... i'd say he's got the fire.

i was down on the sidelines briefly before halftime on saturday... at the time, we were tied with troy state 10-10, and the coaches were trying to talk up their players with a bunch of "let's see some fundamentals and technique out there". my friend and i agreed that no one even knew what that meant. shortly thereafter knowshon came walking over and he yelled at the offensive line. he looked fiercely angry, and made sure to drop the f-bomb way more than was necessary, more like an f-cluster-bomb actually.

so, we went into halftime 24-10... i'd say he's got the fire.