mcshine's bill callahan rant.....

Shiney_McShine

bill callahan is now...

* 0-5 in his last 5 (.000)

* 4-6 in his last 10 (.400)

* 7-8 in his last 15 (.467)

* 10-10 in his last 20 (.500)

a 5-game losing streak hasn't happened since 1958. the worst-ever losing streak in husker history is 7 games, set in 1942-43 and 1957. fortunately for the huskers, that appears to be about as bad as it could get, since next year we start the season with san jose state at home (and probably a coach who actually knows what he's doing).

also, did you know that under bill callahan, nebraska hasn't returned one punt or kickoff for a touchdown in nearly four years?

okay, here is a sampling of the records bill callahan owns so far:

* most points scored by an opponent (kansas, 76, 2007); second-most points scored against nebraska (texas tech, 70, 2004)

* most points scored in the first half by an opponent (kansas, 48, 2007)

* most points scored in the second half by an opponent (texas tech, 49, 2004)

* most points scored in the second quarter by an opponent (kansas, 27, 2007)

* most points scored in the third quarter by an opponent (kansas, 21, 2007 and texas tech, 21, 2004) - tied with oklahoma, 1950.

* most points scored in the fourth quarter by an opponent (texas tech, 28, 2004)

* most first downs allowed in a game by an opponent (kansas, 34, 2007)

* most tds scored by an opponent (kansas, 11, 2007)

* most pats scored by an opponent (kansas, 10, 2007 and texas tech, 10, 2004)

okay, here is a sampling of the records bill callahan owns so far:

* most points scored by an opponent (kansas, 76, 2007); second-most points scored against nebraska (texas tech, 70, 2004)

* most points scored in the first half by an opponent (kansas, 48, 2007)

* most points scored in the second half by an opponent (texas tech, 49, 2004)

* most points scored in the second quarter by an opponent (kansas, 27, 2007)

* most points scored in the third quarter by an opponent (kansas, 21, 2007 and texas tech, 21, 2004) - tied with oklahoma, 1950.

* most points scored in the fourth quarter by an opponent (texas tech, 28, 2004)

* most first downs allowed in a game by an opponent (kansas, 34, 2007)

* most tds scored by an opponent (kansas, 11, 2007)

* most pats scored by an opponent (kansas, 10, 2007 and texas tech, 10, 2004)

here are some team records that are within this team's reach:

* nebraska has allowed 31.4 points per game so far this season. the worst-ever showing by a nebraska defense was the 1943 team, which allowed 32.6 points per game. the huskers have to keep the remaining three opponents to under 108 combined points (36 points per game) to avoid breaking this record (kansas is averaging 42.5, kansas state 38.75, and colorado 25.33).

* nebraska has allowed 36 touchdowns this season. the highest number of touchdowns allowed by a nebraska defense was 41 in 1948 and 2002. the 2007 defense is almost certain to break this record in 12 games, whereas the 2002 squad allowed that many tds in 14.

* the record for most first downs allowed in a season is 272, set in 2002 (again in 14 games). this team needs to allow the next three opponents fewer than 19 first downs per game to avoid owning this record. they're currently allowing 23.9 per game.

* the 1957 cornhuskers allowed 2,787 yards rushing in a season. the 2007 team has allowed 2,183 so far, and needs to allow fewer than 202 yards rushing per game to avoid this record (currently averaging 242.6).

* the 2007 huskers have allowed 25 rushing touchdowns, only one off of the school record of 26, allowed by the 1950 team.

* this year's team is 863 yards away from breaking the "most yards allowed" season record, set in 2002 (that means that the team would need to hold the final three teams to under 288 yards per game).

* nebraska has managed 9 sacks this season, and needs 16 sacks in the final three games just to tie the lowest-ever sack totals in school history.

* both the lowest-ever punt return yards and average are in reach. the record lows are 144 return yards (1955) and 5.74 average (1979). this year's team has 77 yards and a 5.92 average.

* nebraska has already broken the record for number of kickoff returns in a season (50 and counting). i guess that's what happens when you're on pace for all of the above records...

* this year's team has forced 11 turnovers, and will have to find 8 turnovers to tie the school's record low of 19, set in 1962 and 2000.

here are some team records that are within this team's reach:

* nebraska has allowed 31.4 points per game so far this season. the worst-ever showing by a nebraska defense was the 1943 team, which allowed 32.6 points per game. the huskers have to keep the remaining three opponents to under 108 combined points (36 points per game) to avoid breaking this record (kansas is averaging 42.5, kansas state 38.75, and colorado 25.33).

* nebraska has allowed 36 touchdowns this season. the highest number of touchdowns allowed by a nebraska defense was 41 in 1948 and 2002. the 2007 defense is almost certain to break this record in 12 games, whereas the 2002 squad allowed that many tds in 14.

* the record for most first downs allowed in a season is 272, set in 2002 (again in 14 games). this team needs to allow the next three opponents fewer than 19 first downs per game to avoid owning this record. they're currently allowing 23.9 per game.

* the 1957 cornhuskers allowed 2,787 yards rushing in a season. the 2007 team has allowed 2,183 so far, and needs to allow fewer than 202 yards rushing per game to avoid this record (currently averaging 242.6).

* the 2007 huskers have allowed 25 rushing touchdowns, only one off of the school record of 26, allowed by the 1950 team.

* this year's team is 863 yards away from breaking the "most yards allowed" season record, set in 2002 (that means that the team would need to hold the final three teams to under 288 yards per game).

* nebraska has managed 9 sacks this season, and needs 16 sacks in the final three games just to tie the lowest-ever sack totals in school history.

* both the lowest-ever punt return yards and average are in reach. the record lows are 144 return yards (1955) and 5.74 average (1979). this year's team has 77 yards and a 5.92 average.

* nebraska has already broken the record for number of kickoff returns in a season (50 and counting). i guess that's what happens when you're on pace for all of the above records...

* this year's team has forced 11 turnovers, and will have to find 8 turnovers to tie the school's record low of 19, set in 1962 and 2000.

be merciful: fire callahan, cosgrove

by john henderson

the denver post

article launched: 11/05/2007 01:00:00 am mst

there comes a point in time when a coaching staff throws away the respect and courtesy it's given, when it appears to be picking up only paychecks and not clues. that's why tom osborne, nebraska's, ahem, interim athletic director, must fire head coach bill callahan and defensive coordinator kevin cosgrove, like, five minutes ago.

promote offensive coordinator shawn watson to interim head coach and name the theta chi rush chairman defensive coordinator. the 'huskers can't get any worse, and at least they might have a little fun.

then osborne should place calls to the athletic directors at buffalo and louisiana state requesting permission to talk to turner gill and bo pelini, respectively, as well as whomever else osborne has up his flannel shirt sleeve.

this will accomplish four things. one, it will set osborne on a coaching search that can't start too soon. two, it will convince a humiliated nebraska nation that this program will not lose 76-39 without doing something about it. three, it will save recruits money by not texting back messages from any members of this coaching staff. four, it will give callahan time to network for another job and cosgrove time to find another line of work.

at the very least, make the two good friends announce their resignations, if they have any face left to save after giving up the most points in nebraska history. osborne won't do this, of course. he's a man of his word. but he talked his way into a corner three weeks ago when he said he would wait until season's end to evaluate the staff. after saturday, he's asking himself the same question as the rest of college football.

wait for what? the coaches know they're gone. we know they're gone.

this team quit a month ago, but saturday it appeared the staff quit. i watch a lot of college football live and a lot on tv, and in my 45 years as a saturday couch potato i have never seen a more dispirited, lackadaisical and pitiful unit as i did in nebraska's defense.

you could understand north texas giving up touchdowns on 10 straight drives against oklahoma. however, it didn't. but nebraska did against kansas, despite five returning starters from a defense that became respectable last year.

with kansas quarterback todd

reesing putting up numbers like hawaii's colt brennan, i counted exactly one lame attempt at a nebraska blitz in the first half. cosgrove has stood watch over a defense that has gone from average to one of the eight worst in college football, down there with alabama-birmingham, southern methodist and central michigan.

yes, cosgrove and callahan have turned nebraska into a directional school. so there you have it, ladies and gentlemen, the university of nebraska-hopeless cornhuskers.

by john henderson

the denver post

there comes a point in time when a coaching staff throws away the respect and courtesy it's given, when it appears to be picking up only paychecks and not clues. that's why tom osborne, nebraska's, ahem, interim athletic director, must fire head coach bill callahan and defensive coordinator kevin cosgrove, like, five minutes ago.

promote offensive coordinator shawn watson to interim head coach and name the theta chi rush chairman defensive coordinator. the 'huskers can't get any worse, and at least they might have a little fun.

then osborne should place calls to the athletic directors at buffalo and louisiana state requesting permission to talk to turner gill and bo pelini, respectively, as well as whomever else osborne has up his flannel shirt sleeve.

this will accomplish four things. one, it will set osborne on a coaching search that can't start too soon. two, it will convince a humiliated nebraska nation that this program will not lose 76-39 without doing something about it. three, it will save recruits money by not texting back messages from any members of this coaching staff. four, it will give callahan time to network for another job and cosgrove time to find another line of work.

at the very least, make the two good friends announce their resignations, if they have any face left to save after giving up the most points in nebraska history. osborne won't do this, of course. he's a man of his word. but he talked his way into a corner three weeks ago when he said he would wait until season's end to evaluate the staff. after saturday, he's asking himself the same question as the rest of college football.

this team quit a month ago, but saturday it appeared the staff quit. i watch a lot of college football live and a lot on tv, and in my 45 years as a saturday couch potato i have never seen a more dispirited, lackadaisical and pitiful unit as i did in nebraska's defense.

you could understand north texas giving up touchdowns on 10 straight drives against oklahoma. however, it didn't. but nebraska did against kansas, despite five returning starters from a defense that became respectable last year.

reesing putting up numbers like hawaii's colt brennan, i counted exactly one lame attempt at a nebraska blitz in the first half. cosgrove has stood watch over a defense that has gone from average to one of the eight worst in college football, down there with alabama-birmingham, southern methodist and central michigan.

yes, cosgrove and callahan have turned nebraska into a directional school. so there you have it, ladies and gentlemen, the university of nebraska-hopeless cornhuskers.

by john henderson

the denver post

it is a shame to see what has become of the cornhuskers. i know you can't return to the glory days of 500 rushing yards and 75 passing yards per game, but nebraska needs to be "about something" and that something should be power and fierceness. callahan was a terrible hire; and to extend him during the season was pure insanity. that would be like michigan announcing they extended carrs contract the day after they got blown out by oregon.

i'm a gamecock fan and i used to pull for oklahoma to beat nebraska back when that was an epic battle. but to see nebraska getting slaughtered like this is just too much.

by john henderson

the denver post

it is a shame to see what has become of the cornhuskers. i know you can't return to the glory days of 500 rushing yards and 75 passing yards per game, but nebraska needs to be "about something" and that something should be power and fierceness. callahan was a terrible hire; and to extend him during the season was pure insanity. that would be like michigan announcing they extended carrs contract the day after they got blown out by oregon.

i'm a gamecock fan and i used to pull for oklahoma to beat nebraska back when that was an epic battle. but to see nebraska getting slaughtered like this is just too much.

bill callahan is now...

a 5-game losing streak hasn't happened since 1958. the worst-ever losing streak in husker history is 7 games, set in 1942-43 and 1957. fortunately for the huskers, that appears to be about as bad as it could get, since next year we start the season with san jose state at home (and probably a coach who actually knows what he's doing).

also, did you know that under bill callahan, nebraska hasn't returned one punt or kickoff for a touchdown in nearly four years?

bring him home mckay!!!!

bill callahan is now...

bring him home mckay!!!!

well, in all fairness, they did go to a major bowl game last year and posted a winning season with indications this season would be even better........however, because of the losing streak, and the last game, callahan and staff need to be fired....at the very least, the dc cosgrove needs to go. preferably out the end of a cannon.

well, in all fairness, they did go to a major bowl game last year and posted a winning season with indications this season would be even better........however, because of the losing streak, and the last game, callahan and staff need to be fired....at the very least, the dc cosgrove needs to go. preferably out the end of a cannon.

i dont know shiney, the cornhuskers program, fans, and boosters pretty much brought this debacle upon themselves when they fired frank solich prematurely. the guy was winning 10+ games a season. i mean he wasnt a tom osborne, but he kept the nebraska team competitive in each and every game with the exception of the nc game against miami and that colorado game in 2001.

i dont know shiney, the cornhuskers program, fans, and boosters pretty much brought this debacle upon themselves when they fired frank solich prematurely. the guy was winning 10+ games a season. i mean he wasnt a tom osborne, but he kept the nebraska team competitive in each and every game with the exception of the nc game against miami and that colorado game in 2001.

couldn't agree more.

the fans and the program are reaping what they sowed when they booted solich when they shouldn't of.

no sympathy from me.

couldn't agree more.

the fans and the program are reaping what they sowed when they booted solich when they shouldn't of.

no sympathy from me.