**updated article** uga fans.. caleb king may very well play against uf..

SacFalcFan

i was hoping he would have gotten on special teams and played before now. i don't like going into next season with just 1 scholly rb who has real playing time. i am not saying 100% sure he plays, but it looks like it's very possible. i would love to see him return kicks. from those who are on the team that i have talked to, caleb king is turning heads like moreno did last year in practice. i can't wait to see what ck can do.

marcus washington who has by far been the best mlb for this team this year is back. he isn't 100%, but he is well enough to start and he says he won't be limited.

king to travel with dogs, could play vs. gators

highly-touted freshman rb might be pressed into duty against florida

by carter strickland

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 10/23/07 athens georgia running back caleb king will make the trip to jacksonville and very well could take a step onto the playing field against florida on saturday.

the freshman has been getting more work than usual with the varsity squad, and if he proves that he can handle the responsibilities of the blocking game, he could play against the gators, said running backs coach tony ball.

"by thursday i will know if he can handle it," ball said.

if king can handle it, georgia is not concerned about taking the redshirt off king.

"we are trying to win games," ball said. "we have got five, maybe six, maybe seven games that we need to get ready to play in, and that is a whole season for a freshman.

"we are looking at it from the standpoint of can he help us win," ball said.

king is looking at it from that standpoint, too, and he would not be averse to waiting until the eighth game of his freshman season to see his first action, ball said.

"we would never do anything against his will," the coach said. "we have spoken with him, and he understands the magnitude of our situation, and he has understood that from day one. it is not like he hasn't known the possibilities."

this possibility has come about because of injuries to kregg lumpkin and thomas brown. lumpkin is out until the bowl game with a knee injury. brown is out this week and could be out until nov. 10 with a collarbone injury.

that has left georgia with redshirt freshman knowshon moreno as the only proven commodity at tailback. senior jason johnson and redshirt freshman shaun chapas also have been working at that spot.

ball, while conceding there will be moments when he has to rest moreno, is not yet ready to select moreno's backup.

"we are getting several people ready to play and to know what to do at the position," ball said. "i am going to look and see how things unfold before we make that determination."

king, who for a time was considered one of the top recruits in the country in 2006, has worked with the varsity for the majority of the season. he was on the scout team for the first two weeks of october, but in last week's off-week practices, he was moved up in order to work more closely with ball.

ball is still assessing king's comfort level with the offense, and that assessment will go a long way in determining when and if king plays.

"we would have to feel like he could handle the game plan," ball said. "there is a lot going on, and he has not been involved in the protection. we would have to feel good that he would have to handle the bulk of what we do. we know he is going to be limited in some areas, but he has got to be able to handle the bulk of what we are doing. right now the biggest area is protection."

king has not played a game since he broke a bone in his right leg midway through his senior season in 2006 at greater atlanta christian.

king to travel with dogs, could play vs. gators

highly-touted freshman rb might be pressed into duty against florida

by carter strickland

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 10/23/07 athens georgia running back caleb king will make the trip to jacksonville and very well could take a step onto the playing field against florida on saturday.

the freshman has been getting more work than usual with the varsity squad, and if he proves that he can handle the responsibilities of the blocking game, he could play against the gators, said running backs coach tony ball.

"by thursday i will know if he can handle it," ball said.

if king can handle it, georgia is not concerned about taking the redshirt off king.

"we are trying to win games," ball said. "we have got five, maybe six, maybe seven games that we need to get ready to play in, and that is a whole season for a freshman.

"we are looking at it from the standpoint of can he help us win," ball said.

king is looking at it from that standpoint, too, and he would not be averse to waiting until the eighth game of his freshman season to see his first action, ball said.

"we would never do anything against his will," the coach said. "we have spoken with him, and he understands the magnitude of our situation, and he has understood that from day one. it is not like he hasn't known the possibilities."

this possibility has come about because of injuries to kregg lumpkin and thomas brown. lumpkin is out until the bowl game with a knee injury. brown is out this week and could be out until nov. 10 with a collarbone injury.

that has left georgia with redshirt freshman knowshon moreno as the only proven commodity at tailback. senior jason johnson and redshirt freshman shaun chapas also have been working at that spot.

ball, while conceding there will be moments when he has to rest moreno, is not yet ready to select moreno's backup.

"we are getting several people ready to play and to know what to do at the position," ball said. "i am going to look and see how things unfold before we make that determination."

king, who for a time was considered one of the top recruits in the country in 2006, has worked with the varsity for the majority of the season. he was on the scout team for the first two weeks of october, but in last week's off-week practices, he was moved up in order to work more closely with ball.

ball is still assessing king's comfort level with the offense, and that assessment will go a long way in determining when and if king plays.

"we would have to feel like he could handle the game plan," ball said. "there is a lot going on, and he has not been involved in the protection. we would have to feel good that he would have to handle the bulk of what we do. we know he is going to be limited in some areas, but he has got to be able to handle the bulk of what we are doing. right now the biggest area is protection."

king has not played a game since he broke a bone in his right leg midway through his senior season in 2006 at greater atlanta christian.

this is dumb as ****. im sorry. he needs to stay redshirted. you have southerland, chapas, jason johnson, kalvin daniels to share the load with moreno. give southerland some more touches if need be. he has rarely touched the ball this year. last year he was our leading scorer.

what's dumb as heck is having one scholly rb coming into next season with any playing experience..

this is dumb as ****. im sorry. he needs to stay redshirted. you have southerland, chapas, jason johnson, kalvin daniels to share the load with moreno. give southerland some more touches if need be. he has rarely touched the ball this year. last year he was our leading scorer.

what's dumb as heck is having one scholly rb coming into next season with any playing experience..

none of those you mentioned(except for brannan at fb) are the game changing backs that king is.

and to have 2 of them in the backfield at the same time w/moreno, stafford might nutt himself.

i was cool to this idea at first about caleb, but i'm really warming up too it.

if the coaches think he can help us win, by all means do it!

he's right freaky.

none of those you mentioned(except for brannan at fb) are the game changing backs that king is.

and to have 2 of them in the backfield at the same time w/moreno, stafford might nutt himself.

i was cool to this idea at first about caleb, but i'm really warming up too it.

if the coaches think he can help us win, by all means do it!

he's right freaky.