mark richt's opinion of uga/fl game's future in jacksonville..

SacFalcFan

the city of jacksonville would do well not to ask georgia coach mark richt his opinion as to whether or not the bulldogs and florida gators continue playing in alltel stadium when the current contract expires after the 2010 season.officials there may not like what they hear.

"i'm open to home-and-home. i'm open to jacksonville and atlanta. i'm up for home-and-home then jacksonville and atlanta," richt said during sunday's teleconference. "i'm up for any of those kinds of combinations."

the current contract was set to expire after the 2006 season had georgia athletic director damon evans and florida ad jeremy foley not agreed to extend it. jacksonville estimates the economic impact of hosting the game is between $25-30 million per year.

however, it's the idea that that jacksonville is a neutral site is the biggest item that sticks in richt's craw. alltel stadium is barely an hour from florida's gainesville campus.

"if they say it's a neutral site, let's play at a neutral site in georgia," richt said. "let's play in the (georgia) dome, that's a neutral site."

richt not looking ahead

georgia (5-2, 3-2) may be technically tied for the top spot in the sec east, but richt isn't exactly turning cartwheels over the notion. at least not yet.

"i quit worry about that other stuff," richt said. "all i'm going to worry about is who we are going to play (saturday) and that's it. i'm done looking too far into the future, at least for this year."

richt said he spent saturday in front of the television, where he watched florida kentucky, alabama-tennessee and auburn-lsu.

"it's been a wild year, just a wild year," he said.

injury update

linebacker marcus washington (shoulder), linebacker brandon miller (calf) and wide receiver a.j. bryant are all expected to return to practice today and hopefully be ready for florida on saturday.

"my word is hopeful," richt said. "i'm hopeful that both (washington and miller) will be able to play, a.j also."

washington has missed georgia's last two games, while miller sat out the bulldogs' 20-17 victory at vanderbilt. bryant hasn't played since week 2 against south carolina.

richt also said that receiver/punt returner mikey henderson (hamstring) will play barring any set backs.

offensive line healthier

scott haverkamp's recovery from the sprained ankle that cost him three games has enabled the bulldogs to become a bit more set in regards to their rotation for saturday's game with florida.

it's also enabled the bulldogs to have a better idea of what to do if any further injuries occur. according to richt, the starting lineup will remain the same trinton sturdivant (left tackle), chris davis (left guard), fernando velasco (center), clint boling (right guard) and chester adams (right tackle).

haverkamp will back up boling, with vince vance listed as the top backup at left tackle, left guard and right tackle. davis would serve as the team's backup center should something happen to velasco, with vance sliding into davis' spot at left guard.

help wanting simulating tebow

freshman logan gray has been handling most of georgia's scout team quarterback duties, but he might need some help when it comes to impersonating gator quarterback tim tebow.

"logan's a very athletic quarterback, which tebow is, but there's probably a

40- or 50-pound weight difference, so it might not be a bad idea to try and find a linebacker who played a little quarterback back in the day," richt said. "we'll probably just find some big, strong kid in there and do some of the runs. it might take two guys to simulate tebow. there's not too many tebows in the country. i can think of only one right now."

tebow, who according to head coach urban meyer suffered a right shoulder contusion against kentducky, leads the nation in passing efficiency (177.5) and has accounted for 27 touchdowns this season (17 passing and 10 rushing, a total which leads all quarterbacks nationally.)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it'd be a mistake to move from jax. we love this weekend. no one even dreamed of it at ga when they dominated in earlier decades. just start winning and everyone will silence-no need to entertain bizarre neutral sites and home/home. pretty simple solution-win the game.

it'd be a mistake to move from jax. we love this weekend. no one even dreamed of it at ga when they dominated in earlier decades. just start winning and everyone will silence-no need to entertain bizarre neutral sites and home/home. pretty simple solution-win the game.

true.

i personally love the atmosphere. unfortunately i won't be able to make the game for the first time in 6 years this year, but it really is quite the spectacle. i think it was better when they use to alternate certain sections of the stadium because it looked so much cooler when the stadium looked like sun rays of orange-red-orange-red-orange-red than when they split it long ways 50-50.

me and my fellow gator friends always got along so well with the uga fans.

it's literally the only rivalry in college football where the fans of both teams party together for 5-6 hours before the game and then turn around and do it all night after the game.

i hate not being able to go sad.gif

true.

i personally love the atmosphere. unfortunately i won't be able to make the game for the first time in 6 years this year, but it really is quite the spectacle. i think it was better when they use to alternate certain sections of the stadium because it looked so much cooler when the stadium looked like sun rays of orange-red-orange-red-orange-red than when they split it long ways 50-50.

me and my fellow gator friends always got along so well with the uga fans.

it's literally the only rivalry in college football where the fans of both teams party together for 5-6 hours before the game and then turn around and do it all night after the game.

i hate not being able to go sad.gif

have to disagree.. it would not be a mistake to do what richt has wanted since he came to uga.. donnan made comments similiar. just because you guys want to have a mini vacation in addition to a game doesn't really have anything to do with this game being moved and yes that's the big reason people want this game to stay where it's at.. it's so they can party and have a vacation while going to see a game.. and richt and evans don't give a care about that. imo this game should be rotated from the dome to jax every other year. both are neutral sites.

have to disagree.. it would not be a mistake to do what richt has wanted since he came to uga.. donnan made comments similiar. just because you guys want to have a mini vacation in addition to a game doesn't really have anything to do with this game being moved and yes that's the big reason people want this game to stay where it's at.. it's so they can party and have a vacation while going to see a game.. and richt and evans don't give a care about that. imo this game should be rotated from the dome to jax every other year. both are neutral sites.

i agree as well, and as we have seen atl is warm enough for the jorts.

i agree as well, and as we have seen atl is warm enough for the jorts.

i agree. i would love to see the game played in athens.

i agree. i would love to see the game played in athens.