an example of a mom being too involved in recruiting..

SacFalcFan

toccoa (ga.) stephens county running back tauren poole committed to tennessee on october 26, 2006. nearly a year later, the three-star running back may be having second thoughts and sec east rival south carolina is making a strong push for his services.

"tennessee is still in the running," said tauren's mother, nina poole. "he's just really looking at south carolina."

the key concern for the poole family looks to be depth issues at the running back position.

"actually it's tennessee's depth chart in reference to running backs," she said. "and coach beamer has really been able to answer the most important questions at south carolina. how many running backs do they have? how many are they recruiting? are they going to redshirt? that's what tauren wants is for them to be totally up front with him. right now he would have a better chance of playing early at south carolina."

while depth chart is the primary concern for the poole family, south carolina has other strengths as well.

"he likes being able to major in business management," she said. "south carolina is a very high quality school. tennessee is too but why would they want to redshirt you? he'll be a december graduate. what questions do they have?

"tauren is looking for playing time," she said. "if tennessee can't accomplish that even after a redshirt that's the issue. clemson could come in and start recruiting tauren tomorrow and you never know. the issue is playing time."

a position change also seems to be out of the question.

"my son's position can not change," she said. "i will tell you that he is a running back and he'll be a running back when he goes in the draft."

nina poole plays a significant role in her son's recruitment but also knows that in the end it is his decision.

"i do have a big part in it," she said. "because i'm the one doing the background checks on these colleges. but ultimately it's tauren's decision because he's the one that has to live with it."

when tauren became available for comment, he spoke up about his recruitment and his commitment to tennessee.

"i feel pretty good about the commitment [to tennessee]," he said. "but i've looked at south carolina in a variety of ways. i'm just going to continue to wait things out."

the deciding factor may be his upcoming official visits to the two schools, the first of which comes this weekend when he visits tennessee and he follows that with a nov. 10th visit to south carolina.

"i believe so," tauren said when asked if the visits would be the deciding factor. "i haven't been up to south carolina. maybe things change and maybe they don't."

i think she's being to much of a bug in his ear... yappin bout playing time etc. if he had prior concerns he shouldn't waste the time of everyone involved by making commitments before he is ready.. it's his decision and his future but if playing time was his biggest concern he should have held out on deciding a school last year.. i know recruits flip flop with the wind but in this instance it just sounds like the mother already see's his boys $$$ talking bout the draft and what not before he even plays in a spring game lol

i think she's being to much of a bug in his ear... yappin bout playing time etc. if he had prior concerns he shouldn't waste the time of everyone involved by making commitments before he is ready.. it's his decision and his future but if playing time was his biggest concern he should have held out on deciding a school last year.. i know recruits flip flop with the wind but in this instance it just sounds like the mother already see's his boys $$$ talking bout the draft and what not before he even plays in a spring game lol

ive seen him play several times, one of the coaches at stephens county has ties with tennessee and that was the only reason he was ever tied to ut to be honest. i say let him pick where he wonts to play and leave coach and mom out of the equation. that said i hope he doesn't pick uga.

ive seen him play several times, one of the coaches at stephens county has ties with tennessee and that was the only reason he was ever tied to ut to be honest. i say let him pick where he wonts to play and leave coach and mom out of the equation. that said i hope he doesn't pick uga.

i don't see where she's being too involved. she's doing the legwork so he doesn't have to and says ultimately it's his decision.

she is being too involved. she is doing more than legwork. she is basically trying to dictate to coaches that her kid must play after his redshirt season. there is one thing to do your leg work, it's another to be as aggressive as she is.. she reminds me of the kids parents who threw a fit when their kids weren't catching 60 passes a season.. (remember last year)..the true freshman te's dad was quoted as saying "my son should be catching 60 passes, that's how good he is.. if houston nutt can't figure that out my kid shouldn't be at arkansas".. a lot of schools won't recruit poole despite his talent due to his mom and how she is trying to get coaches to pledge to her that her kid will get a lot of playing time after his rs season.. a coach won't do that. they will promise him a chance, but she wants a guarantee from coaches and basically is shopping her kid around until she gets a coach to tell her what she wants to hear.. if you have seen interviews from poole he is just looking for a chance while his mom wants more than that..

i don't see where she's being too involved. she's doing the legwork so he doesn't have to and says ultimately it's his decision.

she is being too involved. she is doing more than legwork. she is basically trying to dictate to coaches that her kid must play after his redshirt season. there is one thing to do your leg work, it's another to be as aggressive as she is.. she reminds me of the kids parents who threw a fit when their kids weren't catching 60 passes a season.. (remember last year)..the true freshman te's dad was quoted as saying "my son should be catching 60 passes, that's how good he is.. if houston nutt can't figure that out my kid shouldn't be at arkansas".. a lot of schools won't recruit poole despite his talent due to his mom and how she is trying to get coaches to pledge to her that her kid will get a lot of playing time after his rs season.. a coach won't do that. they will promise him a chance, but she wants a guarantee from coaches and basically is shopping her kid around until she gets a coach to tell her what she wants to hear.. if you have seen interviews from poole he is just looking for a chance while his mom wants more than that..

• 2 weeks later...

you obviously don't know anything about this young man, his mother, or their relationship. otherwise, you wouldn't be on here making a fool of yourself. nina knows a thing or two about the college recruiting process, having been a star athlete herself. you read one article and passed judgement.

you obviously don't know anything about this young man, his mother, or their relationship. otherwise, you wouldn't be on here making a fool of yourself. nina knows a thing or two about the college recruiting process, having been a star athlete herself. you read one article and passed judgement.

you joined 5 minutes ago and your first post is jumping someone for expressing their opinion in a manner that would indicate that you are taking it personally

suspicious?

not at all

you joined 5 minutes ago and your first post is jumping someone for expressing their opinion in a manner that would indicate that you are taking it personally

suspicious?

not at all