dont'a hightower backs off georgia tech due to their poor graduation rate..

SacFalcFan

i thought this deserved a thread all to itself.. interesting to see a recruit come out and say this and then look to sec schools. gt was in the lead until the graduation rates came out.

georgia tech is no longer one of the leading candidates in the recruitment of marshall county (tenn.) linebacker/running back dont'a hightower.

"georgia tech has slipped," said hightower, who is listed as the 21st-best defensive end in the nation by scout.com.

hightower said he was less than impressed with his findings on the football graduation rate at tech.

"i didn't like the numbers that i saw," he said. "i had some friends and family members help me out on the research.

"i'm not going to say i'm not going to tech. but their football graduation rate is low."

hightower confirmed strong interest in three sec programs.

"alabama, vanderbilt and south carolina are the three on my mind," he said. "every week that goes by, it kind of flip flops. but i want to commit before the season is over."

two other sec teams remain in the running for hightower.

"i haven't been to tennessee yet," the 6-foot-3, 240-pound hightower said. "i still need to go there as well as auburn. a friend has asked me to go to the south carolina-tennessee game [on oct. 27]. i'm going to try to make it to that game."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dang i knew tech needed to add some basket weaving degrees like georgia to boost up the football graduation rates. on second thought that's all right because i would rather my kid get a good education from a college with higher standards than whether they have a good football team or not. if hightower is that worried about passing then maybe he needs to visit georgia and other sec (s econdary e ducation c olleges) schools.

dang i knew tech needed to add some basket weaving degrees like georgia to boost up the football graduation rates. on second thought that's all right because i would rather my kid get a good education from a college with higher standards than whether they have a good football team or not. if hightower is that worried about passing then maybe he needs to visit georgia and other sec (s econdary e ducation c olleges) schools.

i don't know why you would come down on uga. they actually are one of the best schools in the nation too.

i don't know why you would come down on uga. they actually are one of the best schools in the nation too.

you obviously have zero idea what you are talking about. first off uga is one of the best schools academically for a number of stuff such as journalism, business, etc. also they have the toughest academic requirements for athletes in the sec besides vandy (thanks jan kemp for that).

you obviously have zero idea what you are talking about. first off uga is one of the best schools academically for a number of stuff such as journalism, business, etc. also they have the toughest academic requirements for athletes in the sec besides vandy (thanks jan kemp for that).

well said...couldn't have done better

well said...couldn't have done better

kinda funny uga fans are laughing at this. wasn't their football graduation rate even lower than tech's?

only a few are laughing, i am not and won't.. first off the average college fan doesn't give a care about graduation rates. find me a football fan who wants coach fired for poor graduation rates if he is winning a lot of games.. you won't find fans who feel that way. however what happened in this situation is very telling. it's very unusual to have a recruit to be as frank about this. gt was leading for this guy. it was thought he would be a yellowjacket, but then he was given advice and really wanted to see if guys graduated and they didn't. the numbers from the previous regime imo doesn't come close to showing the existing structure for uga. if you know anything about the support uga and most schools give these kids there is zero excuse (other than they aren't taking it seriously) for them not succeeding.. and uga is the only school who actually hurts their athletic teams if guys don't go to class. as mark richt said "we expect our players to make class." and if they don't unlike other schools, they will miss playing time. just as mr. mercer. the lack of knowledge of the school's academically is the only thing to laugh at, the lack of gt fan's knowledge that is.

kinda funny uga fans are laughing at this. wasn't their football graduation rate even lower than tech's?

only a few are laughing, i am not and won't.. first off the average college fan doesn't give a care about graduation rates. find me a football fan who wants coach fired for poor graduation rates if he is winning a lot of games.. you won't find fans who feel that way. however what happened in this situation is very telling. it's very unusual to have a recruit to be as frank about this. gt was leading for this guy. it was thought he would be a yellowjacket, but then he was given advice and really wanted to see if guys graduated and they didn't. the numbers from the previous regime imo doesn't come close to showing the existing structure for uga. if you know anything about the support uga and most schools give these kids there is zero excuse (other than they aren't taking it seriously) for them not succeeding.. and uga is the only school who actually hurts their athletic teams if guys don't go to class. as mark richt said "we expect our players to make class." and if they don't unlike other schools, they will miss playing time. just as mr. mercer. the lack of knowledge of the school's academically is the only thing to laugh at, the lack of gt fan's knowledge that is.