uga studies football facility upgrades..

SacFalcFan

uga studies football facility upgrades

by carter strickland

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 10/18/07 athens georgia athletics director damon evans told the athletic association board wednesday at its fall meeting that football facility upgrades are a serious possibility.

"we are in the exploratory stages," evans said. "our goal is to do what is the most necessary for our football program to allow us to compete at the highest levels."

high atop that list of necessities are a new indoor facility, a new weight room, new training room and improvements to sanford stadium.

"we are out there studying it," evans said.

the goal is to prioritize the needs and then present that list to the athletic association board when it meets again in the winter. from there the board, along with evans' guidance, will attack those priorities and figure out how to make them into a reality.

for football coach mark richt, the top priority has been an indoor facility. for several years, the coach has bemoaned the fact his program is one of only two in the sec without such a facility (florida is the other.) in august the normally reserved richt let loose with his frustration over not having a facility after a practice was rained out.

"it's just a royal pain to have to deal with this kind of stuff," richt said aug. 24 "it would be nice to have a little indoor facility nearby where you wouldn't have to spend your whole life trying to figure out a new plan. it's very frustrating. it gets very old, and i'm about tired of it. maybe one day we'll get that done."

two days later the coach issued a public apology.

evans told the board that he has been in discussions with richt about a new indoor facility and what that would entail.

in other board news, evans continued his strong stance on academics and mentioned the recent suspension of three basketball players mike mercer, takais brown and albert jackson as evidence the plan is working. the trio was suspended as part of new policy that mandates concrete suspensions for missed classes and tutoring sessions.

following the news of the suspensions, evans received a call from ncaa president myles brand.

"he was commending our efforts," evans said.

brand also wanted to know if he could use georgia, and its academic policy, as an example when he talked with officials at other schools. evans said he has inquiries from michigan, washington and san diego state about georgia's academic policy.

"i have never been on a blog before, but for some reason after this i went on a blog to see what the reaction was," evans said. "ninety-nine point nine percent felt good about what we are doing."

i'm suprised that georgia doesn't already have indoor facilities. even though it doesn't frequently get too cold to practice outdoors in these parts, if it does pour rain it can affect practice and that can become a major hindrance to winning on saturday.

i'm suprised that georgia doesn't already have indoor facilities. even though it doesn't frequently get too cold to practice outdoors in these parts, if it does pour rain it can affect practice and that can become a major hindrance to winning on saturday.

i am surprised primarily because uga is one of the best funded and makes some of the best money of any college in the nation. money is not an issue with uga. ask miss state about that.. uga put a boatload of money down to central michigan before they signed a deal with miss state to play them next year.

i am surprised primarily because uga is one of the best funded and makes some of the best money of any college in the nation. money is not an issue with uga. ask miss state about that.. uga put a boatload of money down to central michigan before they signed a deal with miss state to play them next year.