uga coaches turn up recruiting intensity!!!

SacFalcFan

coaches turn up recruiting intensity

by marc weiszer | staff writer | story updated at 11:14 pm on tuesday, october 16, 2007

christian robinson has watched every game this season of the football team he will join next year.

the greater atlanta christian linebacker has found inspiration from seeing the early contribution made by georgia freshman rennie curran, who went from brookwood high last season to the bulldogs' rotation at linebacker this season.

"it makes me excited to think that i could be doing that next year," robinson said. "i know (curran) has worked his butt off and i just know i've got to do the same if i have the chance to do that."

robinson is one of 21 commitments in the 2008 georgia recruiting class that is expected to have only a handful of additions between now and signing day in february.

georgia coaches will be on the road recruiting today and friday during the bye week, visiting the schools of players who have already made pledges to the bulldogs, evaluating the rising talent and academic standing of juniors and even spotting some sophomores.

the bulldogs are poised to sign another highly rated class.

rivals.com ranks georgia's class no. 2 in the nation and scout.com puts it at no. 6.

georgia has seven players ranked in the espn 150 including receiver a.j. green from summerville (s.c.), running back richard samuel of cass and defensive tackle deangelo tyson from statesboro.

"we're in great shape right now," coach mark richt said.

richt's remaining wish list includes one or two offensive tackles, a defensive back, a linebacker "that'll just light you up," and a ball carrier.

"i really believe we need a great tailback to be added to the group," richt said.

this is the first time under richt that georgia coaches will be on the road for two days during a week when there's an open date, he said.

richt decided to keep coaches from going recruiting last friday before the vanderbilt game and, he said, "more and more people are starting to take two days in the open date. a lot of people are going thursdays and fridays."

richt said evaluating talent is better on wednesday when high schools usually have a heavier practice than on thursday. he also wanted to break up georgia's practices this week by having weightlifting sessions on monday, wednesday and friday.

even offensive coordinator mike bobo and defensive coordinator willie martinez will probably be out recruiting for one day this week.

georgia's last commitment came from two-sport standout xavier avery of cedar grove high school. the running back/defensive back projects as an early round major league baseball draft pick, according to alan matthews of baseball america.

the 6-foot, 185-pound avery is ranked as a top 40-50 prospect in the high school class of 2008.

"great athlete with plus-plus speed, good wiry strength with plus power potential, but extremely raw defender and hitter," matthews said by e-mail. "lots of holes in his game, but athleticism and speed make him a prospect for the second-fourth-round range, if he plays well this spring and dedicates himself to baseball."

avery could choose to play football and baseball at georgia instead of turning pro.

robinson, the linebacker from gac, is football all the way.

at 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, robinson concedes that he might need a redshirt season to put some more bulk on his frame, but hopes to be up to 215 by the spring.

he says georgia likes him at linebacker, but he's heard talk, including some from his father, ken, who played linebacker at south carolina, that he might be better suited to play offense.

"i've done a lot of offense this year," said robinson, who has played receiver and quarterback. "they said (former gac product) brannan southerland might be a linebacker and he went (to fullback)."

published in the athens banner-herald on 101707

great thing about uga's class is basically it's almost completely done. uga has only a few more needs and then that's it. of all the guys they are going after the linebacker spot is pretty much completed. so unless it's a ath they are looking at to move to lb, there are no reported (either by insiders) or other sources (high school coaches) lbs that are even looking uga's way.. arthur brown has visited with uga coaches, but he is heading to oklahoma by every's opinion..

regarding uga's final needs:

it's a must that uga gets at least 1 tackle, but 2 would be preferable. right now the two main offensive tackles are zebrie sanders and glenn cordy. imo zebrie ends up a dawg, but cordy will end up at bama. another target is vinston painter, but i believe he ends up at a virginia school like massie did or florida. .

another need is rb. they have got to add another rb. they don't want to have richard samuel or dowtin play rb. those guys are going to be stud lbs along with robinson. everyone believe that dontavius jackson was going to be a primary battle between bama and uga. well he dropped bama. lsu is not a serious option for djax. it will be another uga/clemson battle. in the end he ends up a dawg and that ends the tailback search.

regarding cbs they want a taller more physical cb. they have enough speed guys in boykin and pugh. they want sanders commings. they are in a battle for him however with south carolina and clemson (only if clemson offers which they haven't yet). i think he ends up at sc. their next option is neiko lipscomb. the issue with him however is he has shown some interest, but not a lot. he is also a kid who has stated he wants to play out of state which is great for him. a few kids every year want to travel like that (example this year is slaughter, neiko's teammate).

even with the tight numbers uga is still targeting other spots, they are still trying to add another wr such as joshua jarboe. the problem with him is grades.

uga is also very active going after dts in boyd from florida and uzzi. boyd is a very possible option. they want to get another dt to add to deangelo tyson. uzzi would be a terrific oline tacke, but he wants to play d and he is dominating there as well. it looks however he is gt bound. there was a good question asked about him to an insider about if he is soo pro gt why not just commit. the problem is even with his lean to gt, he doesn't feel comfortable yet making that choice yet. another name to throw out there is omar hunter. he is notre dame committed, but he is telling everyone that he is not solid at all. uga has been trying to get him to visit athens at least one time and it looks like that will happen. remember what happened with jeff owens, he didn't show uga any love and uga worked on him the entire year just to visit athens. he finally did and he committed to uga. once you get a kid on campus you never know.

also with toby jackson and dwayne allen reaffirming their commitments, they aren't really focusing on either de or te.

just some info..

great thing about uga's class is basically it's almost completely done. uga has only a few more needs and then that's it. of all the guys they are going after the linebacker spot is pretty much completed. so unless it's a ath they are looking at to move to lb, there are no reported (either by insiders) or other sources (high school coaches) lbs that are even looking uga's way.. arthur brown has visited with uga coaches, but he is heading to oklahoma by every's opinion..

it's a must that uga gets at least 1 tackle, but 2 would be preferable. right now the two main offensive tackles are zebrie sanders and glenn cordy. imo zebrie ends up a dawg, but cordy will end up at bama. another target is vinston painter, but i believe he ends up at a virginia school like massie did or florida. .

another need is rb. they have got to add another rb. they don't want to have richard samuel or dowtin play rb. those guys are going to be stud lbs along with robinson. everyone believe that dontavius jackson was going to be a primary battle between bama and uga. well he dropped bama. lsu is not a serious option for djax. it will be another uga/clemson battle. in the end he ends up a dawg and that ends the tailback search.

regarding cbs they want a taller more physical cb. they have enough speed guys in boykin and pugh. they want sanders commings. they are in a battle for him however with south carolina and clemson (only if clemson offers which they haven't yet). i think he ends up at sc. their next option is neiko lipscomb. the issue with him however is he has shown some interest, but not a lot. he is also a kid who has stated he wants to play out of state which is great for him. a few kids every year want to travel like that (example this year is slaughter, neiko's teammate).

even with the tight numbers uga is still targeting other spots, they are still trying to add another wr such as joshua jarboe. the problem with him is grades.

uga is also very active going after dts in boyd from florida and uzzi. boyd is a very possible option. they want to get another dt to add to deangelo tyson. uzzi would be a terrific oline tacke, but he wants to play d and he is dominating there as well. it looks however he is gt bound. there was a good question asked about him to an insider about if he is soo pro gt why not just commit. the problem is even with his lean to gt, he doesn't feel comfortable yet making that choice yet. another name to throw out there is omar hunter. he is notre dame committed, but he is telling everyone that he is not solid at all. uga has been trying to get him to visit athens at least one time and it looks like that will happen. remember what happened with jeff owens, he didn't show uga any love and uga worked on him the entire year just to visit athens. he finally did and he committed to uga. once you get a kid on campus you never know.

also with toby jackson and dwayne allen reaffirming their commitments, they aren't really focusing on either de or te.

just some info..

just some info..

toby jackson smile.gifbiggrin.gif #1 on your griffin bears program, and #1 in your hearts.

he will be the best pass-rusher on campus when he arrives in winter. i gurantee that, and he will light you up!

guess i better look around for rodney garner at the griffin game friday night.

just some info..

toby jackson smile.gifbiggrin.gif #1 on your griffin bears program, and #1 in your hearts.

he will be the best pass-rusher on campus when he arrives in winter. i gurantee that, and he will light you up!

i really think commings will be special. we gotta get this kid.

this kid is hard to read.. if he gets an offer from clemson then he may go there, but right now it's a toss up. if uga can get him, that ends their defensive backfield unless of course rahim moore did give a silent to uga when he was out there.. wink.gif

i really think commings will be special. we gotta get this kid.

this kid is hard to read.. if he gets an offer from clemson then he may go there, but right now it's a toss up. if uga can get him, that ends their defensive backfield unless of course rahim moore did give a silent to uga when he was out there.. wink.gif

if toby jackson steps on campus he will be the best de on this team. the guy is awesome.. he needs to work on his grades..

if toby jackson steps on campus he will be the best de on this team. the guy is awesome.. he needs to work on his grades..

i'll check on his grades tomorrow at the game. i know a lady on the booster club who should know.

and he might just play olb, but i think he'll play de in the end. wouldn't hurt for him to put on about 10 lbs of muscle though.

he lit up a kid on the punt return team last week against lovejoy. jesus you could hear the hit all the way across the field in the visitors fans section where we were sitting.

i'll check on his grades tomorrow at the game. i know a lady on the booster club who should know.

and he might just play olb, but i think he'll play de in the end. wouldn't hurt for him to put on about 10 lbs of muscle though.

he lit up a kid on the punt return team last week against lovejoy. jesus you could hear the hit all the way across the field in the visitors fans section where we were sitting.

some good news, uga's coaches are traveling all weekend recruiting. they are using the week off to really go after guys who are committed to reaffirm and also to go talk to the guys who are still undecided. smile.gif

some good news, uga's coaches are traveling all weekend recruiting. they are using the week off to really go after guys who are committed to reaffirm and also to go talk to the guys who are still undecided. smile.gif

with 21 verbal commitments, one might think that georgia recruiting coordinator rodney garner and the rest of the bulldog assistants would be taking it easy this weekend.you'd be very wrong.

with georgia off saturday, garner and the rest of head coach mark richt's lieutenants will be hitting the recruiting trail in an effort to put the finishing touches on a class that rivals.com currently ranks no. 1 in the country.

according to garner, it's also vitally important that coaches stay in regular contact with the team's commitments in an effort to keep them from changing their mind.

"by getting a number of commitments, then maybe you're able to cool down for a little bit and focus on a smaller target. that's not to say we don't pay attention to the recruited guys," garner said. "those guys may require more attention than the guys you are recruiting because you might have a guy you're recruiting that's committed, but he's like 'i'm still visiting.' so really, he's not committed.

"so, there's a chance, at least the probability goes up, that they may change their mind over a kid that's not visiting somewhere so you have to pay a lot of attention to those kids. you don't want them to feel like they've been slighted in any kind of way. you want to make sure you're real accessible to everybody."

ncaa rules prohibit coaches from talking about specific players their respective schools are recruiting. but in general, garner said he's pleased with the work that's so far been done.

georgia's commitment list includes a trio of five star athletes wide receiver a.j. green, running back richard samuel and defensive tackle deangelo tyson along with 11 four-star recruits.

garner said the program hopes to sign up to 26 players.

"we feel good with the guys who are supposedly committed," garner said. "if you're able to sign all of them, that would be great, and if you would be able to get the other three, four or five that you'd like to get with them, you would feel you had a pretty good class."

as garner explained, a lot more goes into recruiting than coaches going out to high school games on friday night.

for example: every wednesday evening georgia coaches get together to watch film of potential recruits.

"even when coach (jim) donnan was here, we always dedicated wednesday night to recruiting," garner said. "we'll sit down and watch tape as a staff, you watch video of the guy so everybody gets a chance to see every position, see how you judge them, how you rate them."

this year, the bulldogs also have three commitments from the recruiting hotbed of florida running back carlton thomas, defensive end jeremy longo and kicker blair walsh.

last february, the bulldogs did not sign a single player from the sunshine state, but garner suggested that was a coincidence.

"we been to that state every year, but obviously you're going to have better years some years than not," garner said. "we go to florida, georgia, south carolina, north carolina and alabama on a pretty consistent basis."

but the bulldogs aren't relegating themselves to strictly recruiting the southeast.

according to garner, georgia is still "in on a couple of national kids," but says the team's recruiting base will always be the bulldogs' home state and afore mentioned adjacent states.

"we'll always try to focus and target on some national guys, but you don't want to slight our recruiting bases because georgia does produce a very high number of kids," garner said. "you look at every team across the country, and pretty much everybody has a kid from georgia, and most times those kids are very productive players.

"everybody wants to know well, why didn't you get him, or you didn't get him. well, we can't sign everybody. you try to make the best decisions that you can possibly make, what fits your needs and who fits the makeup of your program."

with 21 verbal commitments, one might think that georgia recruiting coordinator rodney garner and the rest of the bulldog assistants would be taking it easy this weekend.you'd be very wrong.

with georgia off saturday, garner and the rest of head coach mark richt's lieutenants will be hitting the recruiting trail in an effort to put the finishing touches on a class that rivals.com currently ranks no. 1 in the country.

according to garner, it's also vitally important that coaches stay in regular contact with the team's commitments in an effort to keep them from changing their mind.

"by getting a number of commitments, then maybe you're able to cool down for a little bit and focus on a smaller target. that's not to say we don't pay attention to the recruited guys," garner said. "those guys may require more attention than the guys you are recruiting because you might have a guy you're recruiting that's committed, but he's like 'i'm still visiting.' so really, he's not committed.

"so, there's a chance, at least the probability goes up, that they may change their mind over a kid that's not visiting somewhere so you have to pay a lot of attention to those kids. you don't want them to feel like they've been slighted in any kind of way. you want to make sure you're real accessible to everybody."

ncaa rules prohibit coaches from talking about specific players their respective schools are recruiting. but in general, garner said he's pleased with the work that's so far been done.

georgia's commitment list includes a trio of five star athletes wide receiver a.j. green, running back richard samuel and defensive tackle deangelo tyson along with 11 four-star recruits.

garner said the program hopes to sign up to 26 players.

"we feel good with the guys who are supposedly committed," garner said. "if you're able to sign all of them, that would be great, and if you would be able to get the other three, four or five that you'd like to get with them, you would feel you had a pretty good class."

as garner explained, a lot more goes into recruiting than coaches going out to high school games on friday night.

for example: every wednesday evening georgia coaches get together to watch film of potential recruits.

"even when coach (jim) donnan was here, we always dedicated wednesday night to recruiting," garner said. "we'll sit down and watch tape as a staff, you watch video of the guy so everybody gets a chance to see every position, see how you judge them, how you rate them."

this year, the bulldogs also have three commitments from the recruiting hotbed of florida running back carlton thomas, defensive end jeremy longo and kicker blair walsh.

last february, the bulldogs did not sign a single player from the sunshine state, but garner suggested that was a coincidence.

"we been to that state every year, but obviously you're going to have better years some years than not," garner said. "we go to florida, georgia, south carolina, north carolina and alabama on a pretty consistent basis."

but the bulldogs aren't relegating themselves to strictly recruiting the southeast.

according to garner, georgia is still "in on a couple of national kids," but says the team's recruiting base will always be the bulldogs' home state and afore mentioned adjacent states.

"we'll always try to focus and target on some national guys, but you don't want to slight our recruiting bases because georgia does produce a very high number of kids," garner said. "you look at every team across the country, and pretty much everybody has a kid from georgia, and most times those kids are very productive players.

"everybody wants to know well, why didn't you get him, or you didn't get him. well, we can't sign everybody. you try to make the best decisions that you can possibly make, what fits your needs and who fits the makeup of your program."

well its great we are developing into a very good recruiting program. its not that we have been bad by any stretch of the imagination....but since green came here and we had consistent great success, more peeps want to stay in state, and usually away from tech.

our educational standards are still a joke though....and the centerpiece of our team, stafford, didnt develop in the offseason like i hoped. heres to next season eh?

well its great we are developing into a very good recruiting program. its not that we have been bad by any stretch of the imagination....but since green came here and we had consistent great success, more peeps want to stay in state, and usually away from tech.

our educational standards are still a joke though....and the centerpiece of our team, stafford, didnt develop in the offseason like i hoped. heres to next season eh?

stafford hasn't played that badly. could he of played better and can he play better? yes. but he has really cut down on the turnovers this year and knows how to protect the ball.

stafford hasn't played that badly. could he of played better and can he play better? yes. but he has really cut down on the turnovers this year and knows how to protect the ball.