is moreno among the elite?

SacFalcFan

is moreno among georgia s best ever?

by chip towers | tuesday, october 16, 2007, 04:16 pm

the atlanta journal-constitution

hey everybody. sorry just getting around to this today. i ve been information gathering all day and not in front of my computer (for a change).

let s talk about knowshon moreno. obviously georgia has a special one in this freshman tailback from new jersey. at this point, moreno has 619 yards rushing on 119 carries for a 5.2 yards per carry average. at that rate, he needs to average only 76 yards a game to break the 1,000-yard barrier, 63 a game if the bulldogs go to a bowl game, which is not an absolute certainty at this juncture.

that puts moreno in some pretty tall company among georgia s best freshman running backs of all time. of course, you have to keep in mind that freshman weren t eligible to play for 40 or 50 years of the bulldogs 115-year history, so the best freshmen of all time tend to come from the modern era. and of course herschel walker is and always will be atop that list with his 1,616 yards (and 15 tds) in 1980.

but if moreno is able to stay healthy and, at this point, georgia s season depends upon it did you know he will become the only freshman besides walker to go over 1,000 yards his freshman season? rodney hampton is currently second with 890 yards in 1987. a couple of moreno s teammates are also on that list as well as one that would be but is not longer here. what the heck, here s the whole list:

1. herschel walker, 1980 1,616 yards (15 tds)

2. rodney hampton, 890 890 (4)

3. thomas brown, 2004 875 (8)

4. keith henderson, 1985 731 (3)

5. danny ware, 2004 724 (4)

6. garrison hearst, 1990 717 (5)

7. tim worley, 1985 627 (9)

**8. knowshon moreno, 2007 622 (3)

9. kregg lumpkin, 2003 523 (6)

10. hines ward, 1994 425 (3)

as you can see, moreno is on pace to run down some pretty elite backs and, if he does indeed manage to break 1,000 yards, will be only the second georgia freshman ever to do it.

so does that make moreno the second best georgia back of all time in your opinion? if not him, then who? what would your top five georgia backs of all time be?

at present, moreno s averaging about 17 carries a game. of course, he had 28 totes when he gained 157 yards against vanderbilt this past saturday. should that be the dogs strategy from here on, just keep giving moreno the rock? do you think they should be careful to conserve moreno s health and have him continue to share carries with whomever is available to play? or do you buy into cmr s philosophy which is to always achieve offfensive balance?

it s some fun food for thought. i ll probably leave up this blog through tomorrow since i was so late in getting this one up today.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would rate the top 3 as herschel, rodney, and garrison but that's just the opinion of a guy who doesn't remember the names of many georgia backs unless they are scorched into my memory.

like if you ask me any question about georgia football and it's a question about their best players ever, i will immediately stop you half way through the question and blurt out david pollack. it's just a reflex that has been instilled in me from watching him terrorize my team for those years. david pollack, david pollack, david pollack. you see i can't get him out of my mind.

i would rate the top 3 as herschel, rodney, and garrison but that's just the opinion of a guy who doesn't remember the names of many georgia backs unless they are scorched into my memory.

like if you ask me any question about georgia football and it's a question about their best players ever, i will immediately stop you half way through the question and blurt out david pollack. it's just a reflex that has been instilled in me from watching him terrorize my team for those years. david pollack, david pollack, david pollack. you see i can't get him out of my mind.

you know other than hw, it's hard to rank them for me.. uga has had soo many productive rbs for decades now.. i would say that your top 3 is dead on right now.. i think moreno and king will have something to say about that two spot behind hw.

you know other than hw, it's hard to rank them for me.. uga has had soo many productive rbs for decades now.. i would say that your top 3 is dead on right now.. i think moreno and king will have something to say about that two spot behind hw.

you had nightmares about pollack didn't you? laugh.giflaugh.gif

but he is arguably the greatest defensive player in georgia history. you can make an argument for champ as well.

you had nightmares about pollack didn't you? laugh.giflaugh.gif

but he is arguably the greatest defensive player in georgia history. you can make an argument for champ as well.

moreno is quite good, though he didn't do much against us... wink.giftongue.gif

dawg fans need to send a thank you card to rutgers' rb, ray rice...if he didn't decide to stay in state and go to rutgers, than moreno would've gone there... wink.gif

just like florida fans should thank ron zook for their nc.

don't matter, we got him, and we ain't letting him get away! he's a bonafide star!

dawg fans need to send a thank you card to rutgers' rb, ray rice...if he didn't decide to stay in state and go to rutgers, than moreno would've gone there... wink.gif

just like florida fans should thank ron zook for their nc.

don't matter, we got him, and we ain't letting him get away! he's a bonafide star!

that's baloney about moreno and you know it.. quit making stuff up. moreno fell in love with uga right away.. he was never afraid of competition especially since he was the highest rated rb to come out of new jersey for many many years.

that's baloney about moreno and you know it.. quit making stuff up. moreno fell in love with uga right away.. he was never afraid of competition especially since he was the highest rated rb to come out of new jersey for many many years.

i think moreno has a chance to be really good.

he hasn't looked nearly as explosive lately as he did earlier in the season, but when he's at his best, he's hard to stop.

i think he has been even more effective imo than early on.. first he is now getting the carries.. plus he has just decided to take the load on his shoulders.. he is now the workhorse.. a lot of his yards are his own.. he doesn't have great holes due to the oline..

i think moreno has a chance to be really good.

he hasn't looked nearly as explosive lately as he did earlier in the season, but when he's at his best, he's hard to stop.

i think he has been even more effective imo than early on.. first he is now getting the carries.. plus he has just decided to take the load on his shoulders.. he is now the workhorse.. a lot of his yards are his own.. he doesn't have great holes due to the oline..