what makes a good coach?

interesting little article i found. i see coahcing in the same way this person does.

what makes a good coach?

from elizabeth quinn

coaching is an art as well as a science. an effective coach understands how to communicate with players in a way that gets results. the goal of coaching is to guide, inspire and empower the athlete to realize and develop his or her potential.

qualities of an effective coach

knows the sport

to be able to teach effectively the coach must have in-depth understanding of the sport from the fundamental skills to advanced tactics and strategy. coaches may have experience playing, but not all former players make good coaches. coaches must plan for the season, know the progressive nature of training adaptation, know the rules, and provide a simple, structured environment for athletes to succeed.

seeks out new information

while a good coach knows a great deal about a sport (s)he must continue to learn and develop new training techniques.

staying up to date of new research, training and rehab information, attending coaching clinics, camps, and seeking out tips from elite coaches and athletes is a sign of a great coach. watching videos, reading books, studying periodicals can also be helpful. attending university classes in sport psychology, nutrition and exercise physiology is a great idea and is readily accessible for any coach who wants to grow and improve.

is a motivator

the successful coach is a motivator with a positive attitude and enthusiasm for the game and the players. the ability to motivate and inspire is part of the formula for success. getting athletes to believe in themselves and achieve come far easier from some coaches than others. the coach who can motivate is able to generate the desire to excel in their athletes. motivation may mean keeping the practice fun, fresh and challenging. when motivating a player, a good coach stresses trying to reach performance goals, not outcome goals. a coach should make sure that players understand that you can completely control your own effort and training, but can't control what your opponent does or the outcome of every match.

knows the athletes

being aware of individual differences in athletes is also an important ingredient in coaching excellence. yelling, screaming, and other emotional displays may work for some athletes but could have a devastating effect on others. individualizing communication and motivation to specific players is key to team success. paying attention to the player s emotions, strengths and weaknesses are the responsibility of a good coach.

is an effective communicator

the effective coach is a coach who communicates well and exudes credibility, competence, respect and authority. a coach should be able to explain ideas clearly. clear communication means setting defined goals, giving direct feedback and reinforcing the key messages. acknowledging success is also essential for good communication.

is a good listener

part of communicating effectively is listening. a coach should be a compassionate ear and should welcome the players comments, questions and input. the effective coach will seek out information from the players. finally, the good coach will be flexible and will use player feedback to modify the training plan if necessary.

is disciplined

athletes need to adhere to a reasonable set of rules both on and off the field and if these are ignored the coach is responsible for discipline. the effective coach clearly states a code of conduct up front and adheres to it. when violations do occur, discipline should follow. evidence supports that for discipline to effectively change behavior, it must be mild, prompt, and consistent.

leads by example

the effective coach also leads by example. a good coach adheres to the same rules (s)he expects of the players. a coach who wants respect should also show respect. a coach who expects players to remain positive needs to display a positive attitude. a coach who wants athletes to listen will also listen to the players.

displays commitment

the best coaches are in the profession because they love it. besides being strongly committed to the sports and success the best coaches display a clear commitment to looking out for the best interest of the individual players.

a great coach is not easy to find and requires a very unique set of talents and skills. if you are a coach, or if you are looking for one, these qualities may help you identify the strengths and weakness of typical coaching programs. it s unlikely any one person will excel in all areas, but a good coach will have many of these qualities.

from a fan's perspective, what areas do you think petrino is doing well, and where do you think he needs improvement?

i think there is little doubt petrino knows x's and o's like the back of his hand. also, coming from a major college into the nfl, i'm sure he has been surrounded by other personnel who know their job well (trainers, pr people, etc.)

at this point, i believe he isn't not nearly the effective communicator he needs to be. if it should turn out his listening skills are on a par with his other communication skills, then that is an area that likely needs improvement, too. i know he has stated in the past he has an "open door policy," but it appears, at least in the recent past, the players either didn't know or didn't feel that door was open wide enough for them to go in a talk with him. hopefully that has changed.

i do think he tries to remain positive about this team and its future prospects. he does clearly state areas he feels needs improvement, but is just as quick to point out areas and specific players that he feels did a good job.

correct me if i'm wrong (im sure you will) but didn't petrino call joey out in the media earlier in the season then fine d hall for doing the same?

i know d hall shouldn't have done that but the coach should lead by example and if he was an effective communicator then joey shouldn't have been surprised he was benched. maybe joey isn't a good listener.

interesting little article i found. i see coahcing in the same way this person does.

what makes a good coach?

from elizabeth quinn

coaching is an art as well as a science. an effective coach understands how to communicate with players in a way that gets results. the goal of coaching is to guide, inspire and empower the athlete to realize and develop his or her potential.

knows the sport

to be able to teach effectively the coach must have in-depth understanding of the sport from the fundamental skills to advanced tactics and strategy. coaches may have experience playing, but not all former players make good coaches. coaches must plan for the season, know the progressive nature of training adaptation, know the rules, and provide a simple, structured environment for athletes to succeed.

oops pertino misses this one he makes no adjustments at all same game plan the whole game

while a good coach knows a great deal about a sport (s)he must continue to learn and develop new training techniques.

staying up to date of new research, training and rehab information, attending coaching clinics, camps, and seeking out tips from elite coaches and athletes is a sign of a great coach. watching videos, reading books, studying periodicals can also be helpful. attending university classes in sport psychology, nutrition and exercise physiology is a great idea and is readily accessible for any coach who wants to grow and improve.

can he read

is a motivator

the successful coach is a motivator with a positive attitude and enthusiasm for the game and the players. the ability to motivate and inspire is part of the formula for success. getting athletes to believe in themselves and achieve come far easier from some coaches than others. the coach who can motivate is able to generate the desire to excel in their athletes. motivation may mean keeping the practice fun, fresh and challenging. when motivating a player, a good coach stresses trying to reach performance goals, not outcome goals. a coach should make sure that players understand that you can completely control your own effort and training, but can't control what your opponent does or the outcome of every match.

we just wouldn't even go there on this one

knows the athletes

being aware of individual differences in athletes is also an important ingredient in coaching excellence. yelling, screaming, and other emotional displays may work for some athletes but could have a devastating effect on others. individualizing communication and motivation to specific players is key to team success. paying attention to the player s emotions, strengths and weaknesses are the responsibility of a good coach.

again this one speaks for it self or his lack there of.

the effective coach is a coach who communicates well and exudes credibility, competence, respect and authority. a coach should be able to explain ideas clearly. clear communication means setting defined goals, giving direct feedback and reinforcing the key messages. acknowledging success is also essential for good communication.

acknowledging success he wouldn't know success if it hit him.

is a good listener

part of communicating effectively is listening. a coach should be a compassionate ear and should welcome the players comments, questions and input. the effective coach will seek out information from the players. finally, the good coach will be flexible and will use player feedback to modify the training plan if necessary.

ask dhall if he listen when he was complaining about the bad calls.

is disciplined

athletes need to adhere to a reasonable set of rules both on and off the field and if these are ignored the coach is responsible for discipline. the effective coach clearly states a code of conduct up front and adheres to it. when violations do occur, discipline should follow. evidence supports that for discipline to effectively change behavior, it must be mild, prompt, and consistent.

yeah he got one !!

leads by example

the effective coach also leads by example. a good coach adheres to the same rules (s)he expects of the players. a coach who wants respect should also show respect. a coach who expects players to remain positive needs to display a positive attitude. a coach who wants athletes to listen will also listen to the players.

oops miss this one too

displays commitment

the best coaches are in the profession because they love it. besides being strongly committed to the sports and success the best coaches display a clear commitment to looking out for the best interest of the individual players.

not even close

a great coach is not easy to find and requires a very unique set of talents and skills. if you are a coach, or if you are looking for one, these qualities may help you identify the strengths and weakness of typical coaching programs. it s unlikely any one person will excel in all areas, but a good coach will have many of these qualities.

can we send this to him might help him, but i doubt it.

what makes a good coach?

from elizabeth quinn

knows the sport

is a motivator

knows the athletes

is a good listener

is disciplined

leads by example

displays commitment

rev, i don't have too write that much to tell you what makes a good coach. if a coach never listens to what the fans are saying, and if he doesn't read message boards like these .......... he has the makings of a good coach!

since i can't get anyone to play along, i'll go. on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 highest.

knows the sport - 10

i think petrino is great with x's and o's.

seeks out new information - 9

i really don't know enough about his daily routine, but i wold give him a high grade in this category based on his selections for his coaching staff.

is a motivator - 7

vince lombardi, **** vermille, jimmy johnson - all great motivators who instilled discipline, but knew how to get their players to perform. jury is still out, but friends i have that went to louiville and follwed petrino's career their said he is a great motivator.

knows the athletes - 9

i think he knows exactly who he has on this team and what they can do. his input into the draft this past year seems to be showing and paying dividends.

is an effective communicator - 6

again, i'm not in the locker room. i can only go by what i hear and read. even thought the players are coming off a player friendly coach, i don't buy 100% that "they are all spoiled crybabies" arguments. the truth is somewhere in the middle.

is a good listener - ???

i have no idea. ask his wife.

is disciplined - 10

clearly this is a well disiplined coach.

leads by example - 8

i think petrino is making every effort to lead by example. time will tell if the players buy into it.

displays commitment - 10

one of the hardest working and most committed coaches we have seen in atlanta in a while.