season on its way to disintegration

!owahorse

season on its way to disintegration

by terence moore | sunday, november 18, 2007, 08:58 pm

the atlanta journal-constitution

terence moore

just when you thought it couldn t get any worse for this strikingly clueless bunch of falcons, ranging from team officials to coaches to those in shoulder pads, along came sunday at the georgia dome. they all spent four of the ugliest quarters in recent memory discovering that rock bottom actually has a basement.

silly quarterback play.

mindless penalties to negate possible huge switches in momentum.

crazy strategy (pick one, but how about that toss sweep on fourth-and-1 that predictably failed?).

dropped passes.

another brutal outing by an invisible offensive line.

matador defense (i mean, earnest graham, the tampa bay buccaneers third-string running back, torched these guys for 102 yards rushing and a touchdown).

even worse, those who bothered to show up to watch the falcons plunge to 3-7 and counting spent much of the afternoon booing or chanting joey, joey, joey, as in the overmatched quarterback who was replaced going into the game by byron leftwich, another overmatched quarterback, who was yanked for harrington, still an overmatched quarterback.

so the present and the future are like this for the falcons after their self-inflicted thrashing of 31-7 at the mediocre hands of tampa bay: purgatory is wherever the falcons are now in their 42nd year of existence, and **** is on the way.

we didn t come out with the mind-set to play hard for four quarters, said running back warrick dunn, delivering the understatement of the year. added leftwich, referring to his wretched performance and that of the entire team, to be honest with you, i ve never been involved with something like this.

has anybody? you know, even when it comes to this franchise? ooh. ooh, said former falcons great gerald riggs, easing into a chuckle, while squinting in the home locker room afterward as a local nfl television analyst. let s just say this game took me back a long way. really, i haven t seen this type of performance from a falcons team in a long time.

just so you know, during riggs seven years as a prolific runner for the falcons in the 1980s, they managed an average of five victories per season. that included a 3-12 finish in 1987 under the forgettable marion campbell. riggs laughed, saying, we were just bad. we didn t have good choices with players, coaches, anything. we didn t have the pieces, and i think they have the pieces to do well. my biggest concern with this team is injuries. they re injuries away, but we were players away. i just think these coaches have to win these players over with what they ve implemented.

not likely. rightfully or wrongfully, large portions of the falcons locker room weren t pleased with either rookie nfl head coach bobby petrino or his schemes even before the season, and nothing has changed. leaders of iran and israel communicate better than falcons players with petrino. among other things, a stunned harrington discovered he probably wasn t starting this week from an ajc reporter.

then there is petrino s decision-making that often comes straight from his successful years of running the university of louisville. in other words, he often coaches as if he s still in college. you have that steve spurrier thing, for instance, where college guys love to mix and match their quarterbacks throughout the season and during games. the thing is, nfl coaches don t do that, but here is petrino playing musical chairs between leftwich and harrington with no end in sight. here is petrino also contradicting himself on this cockamamie process.

at the end of last week, petrino emphatically mentioned that he would decide whether harrington or leftwich would start against the buccaneers. after leftwich fumbled twice, threw a couple of interceptions, suffered three sacks and was booed out of the game by the falcons increasingly angry home crowd, petrino quickly said, the staff made the decision to start [leftwich]. as for the falcons thanksgiving day game on thursday against the indianapolis colts, petrino said, i cannot tell you when that decision is going to be made right now.

there was no mention of petrino making the decision by himself this time. sounds like the blame game for the falcons is in its infant stages, because it sounds like confusion reigns.

i dunno, i think moore actually nailed this one.

sorry iowa, still dont think much about this article.

hope your keeping well!

terence moore

just when you thought it couldn t get any worse for this strikingly clueless bunch of falcons, ranging from team officials to coaches to those in shoulder pads, along came sunday at the georgia dome. they all spent four of the ugliest quarters in recent memory discovering that rock bottom actually has a basement. drival

silly quarterback play. insiteful

mindless penalties to negate possible huge switches in momentum. poo happens

crazy strategy (pick one, but how about that toss sweep on fourth-and-1 that predictably failed?). our inside run game has been awesome this season

dropped passes. ok, can't fault him there

another brutal outing by an invisible offensive line. or there

matador defense (i mean, earnest graham, the tampa bay buccaneers third-string running back, torched these guys for 102 yards rushing and a touchdown). what the **** does matador defence mean??

even worse, those who bothered to show up to watch the falcons plunge to 3-7 and counting spent much of the afternoon booing or chanting joey, joey, joey, as in the overmatched quarterback who was replaced going into the game by byron leftwich, another overmatched quarterback, who was yanked for harrington, still an overmatched quarterback. so the crowd wanted joey, and he is complaining that they got joey

so the present and the future are like this for the falcons after their self-inflicted thrashing of 31-7 at the mediocre hands of tampa bay: purgatory is wherever the falcons are now in their 42nd year of existence, and **** is on the way. what armageddon, ragnorak???

we didn t come out with the mind-set to play hard for four quarters, said running back warrick dunn, delivering the understatement of the year. added leftwich, referring to his wretched performance and that of the entire team, to be honest with you, i ve never been involved with something like this. actual quotes, easy terence

has anybody? you know, even when it comes to this franchise? ooh. ooh, said former falcons great gerald riggs, easing into a chuckle, while squinting in the home locker room afterward as a local nfl television analyst. let s just say this game took me back a long way. really, i haven t seen this type of performance from a falcons team in a long time. thanks gerald, how is retirement?

just so you know, during riggs seven years as a prolific runner for the falcons in the 1980s, they managed an average of five victories per season. that included a 3-12 finish in 1987 under the forgettable marion campbell. riggs laughed, saying, we were just bad. we didn t have good choices with players, coaches, anything. we didn t have the pieces, and i think they have the pieces to do well. my biggest concern with this team is injuries. they re injuries away, but we were players away. i just think these coaches have to win these players over with what they ve implemented. 20 years ago

not likely. rightfully or wrongfully, large portions of the falcons locker room weren t pleased with either rookie nfl head coach bobby petrino or his schemes even before the season, and nothing has changed. leaders of iran and israel communicate better than falcons players with petrino. among other things, a stunned harrington discovered he probably wasn t starting this week from an ajc reporter. iran and israel??? right come on.

then there is petrino s decision-making that often comes straight from his successful years of running the university of louisville. in other words, he often coaches as if he s still in college. you have that steve spurrier thing, for instance, where college guys love to mix and match their quarterbacks throughout the season and during games. the thing is, nfl coaches don t do that, but here is petrino playing musical chairs between leftwich and harrington with no end in sight. here is petrino also contradicting himself on this cockamamie process. pretty rubbish assessment. byron was named starter. byron got injured. byron started after injury. byron had crap game - stick in back up qb.

at the end of last week, petrino emphatically mentioned that he would decide whether harrington or leftwich would start against the buccaneers. after leftwich fumbled twice, threw a couple of interceptions, suffered three sacks and was booed out of the game by the falcons increasingly angry home crowd, petrino quickly said, the staff made the decision to start [leftwich]. as for the falcons thanksgiving day game on thursday against the indianapolis colts, petrino said, i cannot tell you when that decision is going to be made right now. ok not naming the starter - first bit of reporting so far.

there was no mention of petrino making the decision by himself this time. sounds like the blame game for the falcons is in its infant stages, because it sounds like confusion reigns. terence - stop using your crystal ball