i can't believe people are calling for petrino's head already!

crumplerfan1

it really is almost comical to read this board sometimes. the guy is 11 weeks into his first season with an o-line that he inherited from the previous coach. a line that is mostly still built for the alex gibbs cut blocking running scheme not the power running game petrino wants. he lost his projected starting qb before the season and is having to make do with nfl retreads.

when everyone was calling for mora's head last year, i finally came to agree but i predicted we would be rebuilding for a couple of years at least.

i know people are frustrated, i've been a fan for 39 years, but if you expected instant gratification this season then you are living in fantasy land. i can't predict the future anymore than the rest of you but you can't expect any coach to turn this team around in one year. petrino deserves more time.

it really is almost comical to read this board sometimes. the guy is 11 weeks into his first season with an o-line that he inherited from the previous coach. a line that is mostly still built for the alex gibbs cut blocking running scheme not the power running game petrino wants. he lost his projected starting qb before the season and is having to make do with nfl retreads.

when everyone was calling for mora's head last year, i finally came to agree but i predicted we would be rebuilding for a couple of years at least.

i know people are frustrated, i've been a fan for 39 years, but if you expected instant gratification this season then you are living in fantasy land. i can't predict the future anymore than the rest of you but you can't expect any coach to turn this team around in one year. petrino deserves more time.

bump this! it is funny how people come on here calling for bobby's head. the rumors of college coaching jobs have already begun. i cant beleieve these guys are so shocked that we lost. haha man seriously suck it up and live with the fact that this team is horrible and i would expect that if a team lost a franchise player. its a rebuilding year, instant gratification is usually smoke and mirrors and guess what i would rather take a superbowl win in 5 years, **** even an appearance instead of being amazing and than the smoke and mirrors fades (aka saints) or 04 falcons.

petrino, like nick saban, steve spurrier and many others who haved tried may be an exceptional collage coach.

what peice of information can you provide me with that supports the thought of petrino being like spurrier and saban. those guys ran a gimmick offense that could only exceed in the college level, we have already seen what our offense can do if given just average play ability with weak players. examples would be carolina and houston. petrino used to be an oc for jacksonville, so he knows what he is doing.

first off, mcclure forney and weiner were all acquired in the reeves days, when he ran a power blocking attack. blaylock played in a power rushing attack, so did foster and ojiinaaka. so these guys are indeed petrino style players.

but i think the big problem is right there in your post. you say petrino doesnt have the players to implement his offense, particularly on the o line, right? that the o line was built for the zone blocking scheme? well if this is correct, and these guys do thier best in the zone blocking scheme, why not keep running that scheme? the idea is to win, right? or is petrino supposed to get the free pass that greg knapp didnt get? even with a great run attack, knapp decided to run his passing offense into the ground against detroit and cleveland last year, and the falcons lost spectacularly. many here said, it was his ego and agenda that lost us those games.

now petrino has to get his players before he can run his scheme. oh well, looks like we will lose in the meantime. i thought the goal here was to win games, not to prove something....

if the zone blocking run offense is what works, then do it, and win some games. thats what i say.

what peice of information can you provide me with that supports the thought of petrino being like spurrier and saban.

maybe putting fat albert in as quarterback this week while joey was on a two game winning streak.

petrino is a hardhead. he may only win 8 games in two years but by gawd he did it his way!

first off, mcclure forney and weiner were all acquired in the reeves days, when he ran a power blocking attack. blaylock played in a power rushing attack, so did foster and ojiinaaka. so these guys are indeed petrino style players.

but i think the big problem is right there in your post. you say petrino doesnt have the players to implement his offense, particularly on the o line, right? that the o line was built for the zone blocking scheme? well if this is correct, and these guys do thier best in the zone blocking scheme, why not keep running that scheme? the idea is to win, right? or is petrino supposed to get the free pass that greg knapp didnt get? even with a great run attack, knapp decided to run his passing offense into the ground against detroit and cleveland last year, and the falcons lost spectacularly. many here said, it was his ego and agenda that lost us those games.

now petrino has to get his players before he can run his scheme. oh well, looks like we will lose in the meantime. i thought the goal here was to win games, not to prove something....

if the zone blocking run offense is what works, then do it, and win some games. thats what i say.

great post!

even if petrino stays to coach the falcons in 2008, the falcons aren't going to sell many tickets and the home games won't sell out anymore. the problems that atl is facing on the field and off the field are going to make it hard for the falcons to be competitive again for a few seasons. petrino could go to a powerhouse college team and win right away (especially if michigan hires him and he has ryan mallett as his qb). petrino - like the fans in atlanta that will choose to not purchase falcons tickets anymore - probably wants to disassociate himself from the falcons organization and go coach a college team so he can be successful like he was the last few seasons at lousiville. the falcons haven't ever had consistent success (no back to back winning seasons and they have played in the nfl since 1966), and petrino isn't the coach that is capable of leading the falcons to back to back winning seasons.

foster and blalock are rookies, and were brought in here by petrino. as for mcclure, forney, and weiner, you do need to realize that 3 years of losing weight and cut-blocking makes them a lot less powerful than they previously were. as for the scheme, if you had paid attention at all when petrino was first hired, we were going to implement the power-scheme, but retain parts of the prior regime's cut-blocking scheme. what made this team so great at rushing was michael vick. we don't have the backs, nor the other pieces to be a great running team at this point. also, oji was in a cut-blocking scheme at 'cuse.

maybe putting fat albert in as quarterback this week while joey was on a two game winning streak.

petrino is a hardhead. he may only win 8 games in two years but by gawd he did it his way!

is he a hard head or did he just want to see what bryon had left? its not like we were going anywhere this year. one of these sorry qbs will be around next year. we have film on one why not try and get some film on the other?

any team that loses their #1 and #2 qbs in the offseason and implements a new scheme shouldnt be expected to perform instantly. add our depleted lines and its a wonder we arent as bad as the dolphins.

they lost weight to go to a cut blocking scheme and have been in that system for three years. you don't think that has hurt them now having to work on a power running attack? it doesn't take a genius to figure out the o-line is suspect in both run and pass blocking. do you watch the games? they get manhandled almost every play by any defense that is worth a darn.

they couldn't pass block when mv was here which is why he was so often running for his life. they could go back to the cut block scheme but it wouldn't be near as succesful without mv back there.

it's obvious we need a better qb than what we have now but unless the o-line improves, it will be more of the same.

what are you people going to do call for a new head coach every year at the first sign of failure? yea, that will build a consistent winner! again, absolutely comical! rolleyes.gif

what your saying does have some merit, but. this is a no brainer, just like when we we hired marion campbell for his "2nd" stint. you knew early it was a mistake. petrino, like nick saban, steve spurrier and many others who haved tried may be an exceptional collage coach, but will never succeed at the pro level.

didn't jimmie johnson go 1-15 his first year? so why can't he succeed? the players haven't executed, i.e. catching the ball and this is his fault and not worthy of the nfl after 10 games?

the thing that bugs me is the player response, they play awlful and the coach stinks not them.

even if petrino stays to coach the falcons in 2008, the falcons aren't going to sell many tickets and the home games won't sell out anymore. the problems that atl is facing on the field and off the field are going to make it hard for the falcons to be competitive again for a few seasons. petrino could go to a powerhouse college team and win right away (especially if michigan hires him and he has ryan mallett as his qb). petrino - like the fans in atlanta that will choose to not purchase falcons tickets anymore - probably wants to disassociate himself from the falcons organization and go coach a college team so he can be successful like he was the last few seasons at lousiville. the falcons haven't ever had consistent success (no back to back winning seasons and they have played in the nfl since 1966), and petrino isn't the coach that is capable of leading the falcons to back to back winning seasons.

petrino ain't coaching michigan, les miles is.

and how do you know he ain't capable of leading the falcons to back-to-back winning seasons.

didn't jimmie johnson go 1-15 his first year? so why can't he succeed? the players haven't executed, i.e. catching the ball and this is his fault and not worthy of the nfl after 10 games?

the thing that bugs me is the player response, they play awlful and the coach stinks not them.

didn't jimmy johnson win a couple of national championships?

what did petrino win? a bowl game.

he is not jimmy johson. mainly because the nfl is not the same as when jimmy came in.

petrino doesn't have a herschal walker to trade.

shhhhhh crumplerfan.....you are making way too much sense. thats not what people want to hear around here

[/quote

iagree been saying that all season. also lets not forget vick disguised alot of the ineptness of the running game we have now.

you ain't heard nothing yet. watch what happens after this thursday night's debacle.