lewis, coleman lost from falcons' d-line

statick

by steve wyche

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 11/19/07

as if the 31-7 beating by tampa bay sunday wasn't enough, the falcons appear to have lost at least one starter for the season and could have two others in serious jeopardy because of injuries.

nose tackle trey lewis suffered a severe right knee injury in the first quarter and likely is out for the season. defensive tackle rod coleman suffered triceps and hand injuries on his right arm, and both were said to be potentially serious. offensive tackle todd weiner also left the game.

"trey, i don't think is a good deal," coach bobby petrino said. "it looks serious."

coleman played after getting hurt but wore a protective support on both problem areas plus sizeable padding on his hand.

"both of them might not be good," petrino said of coleman's injuries.

coleman has already battled through operations on his right quadriceps and knee that have limited his playing time and restricted his effectiveness.

the loss of both starting defensive tackles would leave the falcons with montavious stanley, jonathan babineaux and recently signed tim anderson as the only defensive tackles on the roster.

weiner aggravated his surgically repaired left knee in the second quarter and did not go back into the game. quinn ojinnaka replaced weiner.

"todd would have stayed in and played if he could have physically, and that really concerns me," petrino said. "he's tough and has played with injuries and knows how to play with injuries."

backup tight end dwayne blakley suffered head and neck injuries and did not play for most of the game. blakley's loss hurt the falcons because they could not run two-tight end sets, meaning tight end alge crumpler had to be kept in on some passes to help with protection.

petrino said he would have more details on the injuries after the players undergo more extensive medical tests today.

hall points finger at self on long td

cornerback deangelo hall got beat by tampa bay wide receiver joey galloway for a 44-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter and admitted trying to jump a slant route. hall has been susceptible to receivers who attack him with double moves.

"i gave up that touchdown pass and that's not me," hall said. "that's not what i pride myself in doing. just as a whole, we didn't play great."

galloway ran a slant-and-go route. hall jumped the initial move and couldn't recover when galloway broke the route upfield.

"they have been trying to get that on me for the last three years and they finally got it," hall said. "they know that i'm an aggressive guy and just caught me. they had a great play called."

snelling active instead of pinner

rookie running back jason snelling, promoted to the active roster from the practice squad last week, served as the no. 3 tailback in place of artose pinner, who was de-activated. it was the first time snelling, a seventh-round draft pick from virginia, played in a regular-season game.

snelling played late in the game and gained 13 yards on two carries.

pinner has been atlanta's short-yardage tailback for most of the season. before the game, petrino said the decision over which backup running back to use would come down to who the coaches felt was more valuable on special teams.

robinson starts in horn's place

rookie laurent robinson (two catches, 43 yards) made his second consecutive start in place of wide receiver joe horn (hamstring).

staff writer d. orlando ledbetter contributed to this report.

by steve wyche

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 11/19/07

as if the 31-7 beating by tampa bay sunday wasn't enough, the falcons appear to have lost at least one starter for the season and could have two others in serious jeopardy because of injuries.

nose tackle trey lewis suffered a severe right knee injury in the first quarter and likely is out for the season. defensive tackle rod coleman suffered triceps and hand injuries on his right arm, and both were said to be potentially serious. offensive tackle todd weiner also left the game.

"trey, i don't think is a good deal," coach bobby petrino said. "it looks serious."

coleman played after getting hurt but wore a protective support on both problem areas plus sizeable padding on his hand.

"both of them might not be good," petrino said of coleman's injuries.

coleman has already battled through operations on his right quadriceps and knee that have limited his playing time and restricted his effectiveness.

the loss of both starting defensive tackles would leave the falcons with montavious stanley, jonathan babineaux and recently signed tim anderson as the only defensive tackles on the roster.

weiner aggravated his surgically repaired left knee in the second quarter and did not go back into the game. quinn ojinnaka replaced weiner.

"todd would have stayed in and played if he could have physically, and that really concerns me," petrino said. "he's tough and has played with injuries and knows how to play with injuries."

backup tight end dwayne blakley suffered head and neck injuries and did not play for most of the game. blakley's loss hurt the falcons because they could not run two-tight end sets, meaning tight end alge crumpler had to be kept in on some passes to help with protection.

petrino said he would have more details on the injuries after the players undergo more extensive medical tests today.

hall points finger at self on long td

cornerback deangelo hall got beat by tampa bay wide receiver joey galloway for a 44-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter and admitted trying to jump a slant route. hall has been susceptible to receivers who attack him with double moves.

"i gave up that touchdown pass and that's not me," hall said. "that's not what i pride myself in doing. just as a whole, we didn't play great."

galloway ran a slant-and-go route. hall jumped the initial move and couldn't recover when galloway broke the route upfield.

"they have been trying to get that on me for the last three years and they finally got it," hall said. "they know that i'm an aggressive guy and just caught me. they had a great play called."

snelling active instead of pinner

rookie running back jason snelling, promoted to the active roster from the practice squad last week, served as the no. 3 tailback in place of artose pinner, who was de-activated. it was the first time snelling, a seventh-round draft pick from virginia, played in a regular-season game.

snelling played late in the game and gained 13 yards on two carries.

pinner has been atlanta's short-yardage tailback for most of the season. before the game, petrino said the decision over which backup running back to use would come down to who the coaches felt was more valuable on special teams.

robinson starts in horn's place

rookie laurent robinson (two catches, 43 yards) made his second consecutive start in place of wide receiver joe horn (hamstring).

staff writer d. orlando ledbetter contributed to this report.

well all i can say to this, we had a really bad day. sad.gif

i think we can say rod will be gone after this season.

yup. its sad but its true, i called him getting hurt now that i gave him props for playing well. but we just cant pay him what hes earning when he is injured this much. i dont think he has played 16 games combined in the past 2 years, in fact im sure of it. time for him to go.

it is too bad about trey, but he should still start next year, we played well when he was in there.

we cut a perfectly good lineman. we shoulda kept him around for depth if nothing else

thats what i said when he was cut. if you don't like his play, bench him but dang don't give him away because injuries happen.

i swear we are cursed this entire calendar year and unfortunately we don't have any games in 08. 2007 sux

do not fret falcon faithful, we get the joys of two weeks ago discussing

what early (top 5) pick we would take mcfadden, brohm,long all names i

have seen >last week figuring out how we were gonna win the **** division

back to this week talking no more w's and top 5 pick again.

what fans get to have that much freakin fun on there mb.

i do like that mcfadden kid biggrin.gif