joey is not that bad

he's 18th in the league in passer rating. hes doing way better than marc bulger(26th)trent green(27th) and steve (25th)so why mess with whats been working in the last two games?

he's not that bad, but he's not that good either. he plays so conservative that he won't cost you the game, but he won't win it for you.

he simply cant make all of the throws. all of his tds have been breakaway runs except the one pass to jenkins. anyway whoever starts this weekend is facing a really hard matchup. the only team that has been able to pass against tampa this season was indy. so dont expect a big passing game from either joey or leftwhich. all this game is going to do is cause greater qb controversy.

gruden is comming off of a bye. do the math.

he's 18th in the league in passer rating. hes doing way better than marc bulger(26th)trent green(27th) and steve (25th)so why mess with whats been working in the last two games?

it's very simple. leftwich keeps defenses honest because of the mere threat of going down field. every dc knows that joey is not accurate after about 15-20 yds so their safeties cheat - that's the other reason our running gm hasn't been there this yr.

leftwich gives the offense more options. our defense is the biggest reason we've been winning as of late. passer rating doesn't tell a full story. you can complete shuffle passes all day and throw no int's and you'll have an astronomical passer rating, but you probably wont move the ball too far down the field. you'd better hope your defense keeps you on the other teams side of the field the entire game if you want to win. the only taste of how vast this offense could be was when leftwich was in there spreading the field for that 1 half that he was in that saints gm. the defense was on its heels the entire time.

you will never get it will you? i know why you are questioning this move. you are so transparent. joey sucks that is why he was pulled.

it's very simple. leftwich keeps defenses honest because of the mere threat of going down field. every dc knows that joey is not accurate after about 15-20 yds so their safeties cheat - that's the other reason our running gm hasn't been there this yr.

leftwich gives the offense more options. our defense is the biggest reason we've been winning as of late. passer rating doesn't tell a full story. you can complete shuffle passes all day and throw no int's and you'll have an astronomical passer rating, but you probably wont move the ball too far down the field. you'd better hope your defense keeps you on the other teams side of the field the entire game if you want to win. the only taste of how vast this offense could be was when leftwich was in there spreading the field for that 1 half that he was in that saints gm. the defense was on its heels the entire time.

the "immortal" quinn gray of jax had the saints "defence" on their heels a couple weeks ago when he got 24 pts off them and a couple of td's. laugh.gif

q: how much of the sacks are due to the receivers not getting open?

a: most of it yesterday was due to the fact that we were holding the ball at times and we had a couple of missed assignments.

bad decisions

q: do you think joey harrington is being too conservative?

a: i think joey is playing a little conservative and playing not to throw the interception. therefore, it s causing him to hold the ball. he needs to open up his confidence and play to win the game.

not playing to win the game.

on the play of leftwich

a: i was happy with the way he performed. he was standing in there. he was throwing the ball downfield. he made some good throws. the receivers made some plays for him. (we were) in a rhythm as far as being able to call more runs and run the ball and then throw the ball a little bit deeper down the field. the injury certainly hurt. when joey came in, you change a little bit of what you were doing, but he got us on a couple of nice drives. (we had) the one down there to kick the field goal.

not throwing the ball downfield.

why can't you guys trust in what the coaching staff thinks? if they believe lefty gives us the best chance to win, then why not play him. joey had his chance, and he didn't make the best of it. if the ol can keep lefty upright, we can win. it's that simple.

maybe because he looks at the pass rush instead of down field? or because he cant throw more than 40 yards down field? maybe even because hes white?

(the last was a joke)

kill it with the stats, will ya'? wins and losses. granted, lefty has no wins yet, but he is more of what you need to win back and forth games. if everything is clicking, joey might not kill you, but he's clearly not a winner. oh, and is concussion guy even playing anymore? my passer rating is higher than his. laugh.gif

what is our record with joey at qb? what is joey's record as qb before becoming a qb for our birds? a losing record? completion percentage? winning record is all that matters...

next.

the basic principles of the petrino offensive design are a downhill running game and a vertical passing game. we lack the type of offensive linemen and running backs for the downhill running game, but in leftwich we have a qb that is well suited for the vertical passing game. harrington does not fit this mold. he is a serviceable backup, but his physical limitations restrict how much of the playbook we can utilize. if we can establish some consistency with the vertical aspect of our passing game then we can force opposing defenses to get that extra safety out of the box, which should allow us to be as productive in the running game as can be expected given our personnel. joey's inability to stretch the field has contributed greatly to our lack of point production. i'm willing to ride with leftwich, we need to see if he can be the guy. if he can, then we can devote our early round draft picks to other areas of need - primarily ol, rb and s.

good point but we lack the o-line to have the time to throw down field too.

if we went 5-2 for the rest of the season with byron at qb(which won't happen cause he will get hurt again) would you want him as our starter next year?

i'm pulling for joey and would rather see him as the starter but i really do not want him as the starter next year. i sure the **** don't want leftwich starting now or next year.

we need to get a proven vet for qb next year, if possible. if not i'd rather see us draft a qb in the 1st and have harrington back as the starter. i just don't see why everyone wants byron to start when you know he can't stay healthy. he's not unlucky, he's fragile. he's more injury prone than vick was.

harrington has five touchdown passes through nine games, and people wonder why we want him benched? he's not a playmaker, he turns the ball over and he eats sacks. leftwich looked fine when he got a start, a lot better than harrington, someone we could depend on. i don't want leftwich as our starter next year, but i'll take him over harrington without thinking twice.

maybe because he looks at the pass rush instead of down field? or because he cant throw more than 40 yards down field? maybe even because hes white?

(the last was a joke)

sure that was a joke. i truly believe that is why some on this board want him as the starter. i personally don't care as long as we win. the reason i think byron will not be successful is because he can't stay healthy. same reason he is no longer a jag.

harrington has five touchdown passes through nine games, and people wonder why we want him benched? he's not a playmaker, he turns the ball over and he eats sacks. leftwich looked fine when he got a start, a lot better than harrington, someone we could depend on. i don't want leftwich as our starter next year, but i'll take him over harrington without thinking twice.

harrington has less turnovers than any qb in the league i think. he only has 5 int's (2 were off jenkins and one was at the end of the half on that "hail mary" pass on monday night) and no fumbles, he hasn't even fumbled once all season which is pretty amazing. the 5 td passes are terrible though and the short passes are frustrating. the one good thing he has done though is not turned over the ball.