let's start a qb rotation

pzummo

i posted this in another thread, but i figured it is it's own topic so i'd start a thread to debate it. what are your thoughts?

i say we start a qb rotation. our qb's take more hits than our rb's, why not rotate them and keep them fresh. handing the starting job to leftwich is going to do one thing and one thing only. it will put all of our eggs in our new-age chandelier while completely destroying joey's confidence and his want. watching that last game i got the impression that joey wants to win. the scramble for the first down where he took the hit just to make sure he was passed the first down marker and the emotion he showed when he saw he had it, that's want. standing up tall and delivering the ball to crumpler that went for the winning td, that's want. if he's benched, he's not going to want it anymore, i wouldn't want it after being benched by a team twice.

i really do think we need a qb rotation anyway, leftwich is way to fragile to be handed the reigns to the starting job. rotate them, make defenses prepare for two different gameplans (one for leftwich, one for joey), and keep them both motivated. neither would want to faulter due to the possibility of being benched permanently in favor of the other one. plus, if leftwich is only playing in half our offensive series, he might actually be able to stay healthy, and that way he would stay available to play in situations where we really need him (hail mary, 3rd and long, starting from inside our own 20).

i have brought this up too. the obvious problem is being obvious!

defenses would look for attempted long balls when leftwich comes

in. in my opinion we should say shoot your best shot at stopping

this and go with it. use them both. joey can burn clock better and

sustain drives but leftwich would give them something else to think

about if you run him in sometime.

i'm not sure if rotating quarterbacks will necessarily benefit either of them. from what i've seen, the offense doesn't change dramatically (if at all) when leftwich is in at quarterback. the only difference is that he was gunning for the deep routes whereas joey is going for the check downs and sideline routes. so really, we would be putting ourselves at a disadvantage by going this route - the defense would only have to prepare for one scheme, but we would have to get two quarterbacks up to speed and ready to start.

the two quarterback scheme works best when either you have a quarterback that you want to run a specific package (like warner in arizona with the no-huddle look), or a quarterback who has a different skillset than your regular quarterback (for example, a running quarterback if your quarterback is a dropback passer, or vice versa).

yes!!!

trade dhall to the patriots for david greene and get shockley a bionic leg. 10-6 is looking at our face.

umm, no. seriously. it's obvious leftwich cannot play a full game without getting injured, so it's senseless to give him the starting job, putting the rest of our season on his fragile shoulders. that being the case, leftwich provides our offense with more options, he has different strengths. neither qb has a complete game. collectively, they do. i know most people on here are going to think, college gimmick offense. but the reality is that neither qb is fully capable of leading this team, let's rotate and see which player the team responds to. i'm not comfortable with byron being our #1 because of durability. i'm not comfortable with joey being our #1 because he can't spread the field. besides that, our qb's are getting hit so often (joey leads the league in hits) that it has to wear them down during the game. this way we can keep them fresh.

it took nfl offenses 6 decades to realize the importance of rotating rb's in order to keep them fresh and healthy because of how often they are getting hit. our qb's are getting hit just as often as rb's, and they are standing upright getting completely wrecked when they are getting hit, so i know it's wearing them down. for offenses that protect the qb well (indy, ne, etc), a qb wearing down may not be as much of an issue. unfortunately, that's not our offense right now (maybe one day, but not today). i agree that they would be alternating drives and for the most part they won't be in in particular situations, but i'd still put byron if we are facint a 3rd and 15+ or if we are taking one shot at the endzone. the defense already knows what you are going to do in that situation regardless of who's in because you are in a predictable situation, byron would at least be able to make the necessary throw. but for the most part it would be drive by drive rotation, and possibly rotate them after one of them gets clobbered.

i don't think it's a coincidence that our qb's have been struggling late in games for the past 7 years. we've had no protection for the past 7 years, and "coincidentally" our qb's performance in the 1st quarter is 10 times better than their performance in the 4th quarter.

i have brought this up too. the obvious problem is being obvious!

defenses would look for attempted long balls when leftwich comes

in. in my opinion we should say shoot your best shot at stopping

this and go with it. use them both. joey can burn clock better and

sustain drives but leftwich would give them something else to think

about if you run him in sometime.

let see new qb in

1st down fumbled exchange between center and qb. 7 yd loss

2nd down lineman jumps off sides because of snap count differences 10 yard penilty

3rd down wr jumps offsides another 10 yard penilty

4 down same as always punt from our end zone

let see new qb in

2nd down lineman jumps off sides because of snap count differences 10 yard penilty

you think? byron starts against no. joey is forced to come in because our starter couldn't play anymore. joey goes 12/18 (66.7% completion) for 128 yards and no turnovers. i'm not going to argue the no game because we did lose, but the qb performance coming in off of the bench is far from the disaster you are claiming. he was pretty efficient, and leads to my point that it could work.

no offense, but how many times in nfl history has a qb rotation actually worked?? i cannot recall any team ever having success with a rotation at qb. i don't think your idea is terrible, i am just saying that history has shown that it probably isn't a good idea. if only they could figure out a way to put leftwich's arm on harrington's body, everything would be just fine.... tongue.gif

have you ever heard the old saying about playing two guys at qb? it just means that you don't have one guy that you feel should play qb.

how many times has it been tried in the nfl?

i have heard that old saying, and i think it's very true. we don't have one guy that i feel should play qb. we have two guys that do some different things well. we have two guys that do some different things terribly wrong. give each a portion of the playbook that they excel in, and use both of their strengths while avoiding their weaknesses. maybe it's a dumb idea and won't work, but i think it's a better idea than name leftwich the starter and expecting joey to play well after being benched not once, but twice. i also think it's a better idea than keeping joey the starter and never being able to throw the ball downfield.

let see new qb in

i guess you are right we aren't good enough to snap the ball? could you

raise your sights a bit higher because this isn't grade school. if it looks

like it when you try it then rethink it but to think all that will automatically occur

is a bit defeatist.

like it when you try it then rethink it but to think all that will automatically occur

is a bit defeatist.

i think what the poster described above is something that actually happened this season....saints game?

being that joey is inaccurate and byron has barely played i don't think this is a good idea. there needs to be a consistent starter at qb to continue to develop timing with receivers and to get comfortable in the pocket. i believe this is more of a disadvantage than the advantage of defenses practicing a couple of more schemes. it is not the same as preparing for a mobile and pocket qb.

i think what the poster described above is something that actually happened this season....saints game?

that was when their center was injured and the backup center came in. center to qb exchange problems are very common when you replace the center. you don't see it as much with qb changes unless the backup qb is completely unprepared. neither joey nor byron have trouble receiving the exchange from mcclure.

nobody is saying it can't happen. what this guy described is like setting

out in rush hour traffic expecting to get stuck in traffic and p in your pants

every morning! it could happen but not yet. it gets closer everyday, so i

am not saying it won't. i just plan to do better than that. my expectations

are better you might say! same for the falcons.

is a bit defeatist.

most of you are talking about a one time qb change but the original post was about switching qbs every series. i was responding to that sequence. and i have seen at least 3 different pro games this year where downs 1&2 are exactly as i described. then check out 3rd down wrs jump more often on third and long than any other down.

i was just objecting to changing qbs on every series i don't think it would work out at all. i'm not opposed to a one time change during the game.