rev's thoughts from the carolina game

Rev_Hal

1. trey lewis is the real deal. he did an outstanding job all day tying up the carolina interior line. this kept linemen off of the lb's and s's, which is key in zimmer's offense. he was also key in helping shut down the running game. he is much quicker that i thought he was, and his motor never stops running. i still think petrino's handling of the grady situation was horrible, but i see why he wants lewis in full time.

2. chris houston was the best draft pick of the 2007 class. he is rapidly learning the position, and is going to be a premier cb in the nfl. he was all over the place and made big play after big play. he is a star.

3. tyson clabo - where have you been?!? this kid may be the answer we have been looking for at t. i rewatched part of the game last night, and clabo was a brick wall. if he can improve his technique against speedy outside rushers, he will be solid on this offensive line for a long time. i sincerely hope that he gets a chance to keep his job on the line next season.

4. dunn seemed more inspired yesterday than he has all season. i guess coming off his first 100 yard game of teh year and closing in on 10,000 yards has given him a new spark. he is a class act and has been a great falcon. his time is coming to and end soon, and i want to see him exit the game on a team that still has some fight in it.

5. it's hard to want to pull joey after he managed back to back wins, but in this offense, you have to throw the ball downfield. the falcons had only 3 really effective drives all day. on the opening drive, the pathers were not covering the dump off in the flats, and we marched downfield. after they adjusted, the only effective drives we had is when joey would take shots longer than 6 yards. while we have won 2 with joey, if we are going to entertain the silly thought of making the playoffs this year, it is going to have to be with leftwich.

6. we need depth ar rb. norwood's absence was huge, and i am worried about his long term ability to stay healthy. pinner is not an answer, and dunn can't carry that kind of load game after game.

overall, our defense is coming together is a big way. if the offense can produce enough points to win... well.... there is a distant glimmer of hope that we can be playing football in january. ohmy.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. trey lewis is the real deal. he did an outstanding job all day tying up the carolina interior line. this kept linemen off of the lb's and s's, which is key in zimmer's offense. he was also key in helping shut down the running game. he is much quicker that i thought he was, and his motor never stops running. i still think petrino's handling of the grady situation was horrible, but i see why he wants lewis in full time.

2. chris houston was the best draft pick of the 2007 class. he is rapidly learning the position, and is going to be a premier cb in the nfl. he was all over the place and made big play after big play. he is a star.

3. tyson clabo - where have you been?!? this kid may be the answer we have been looking for at t. i rewatched part of the game last night, and clabo was a brick wall. if he can improve his technique against speedy outside rushers, he will be solid on this offensive line for a long time. i sincerely hope that he gets a chance to keep his job on the line next season.

4. dunn seemed more inspired yesterday than he has all season. i guess coming off his first 100 yard game of teh year and closing in on 10,000 yards has given him a new spark. he is a class act and has been a great falcon. his time is coming to and end soon, and i want to see him exit the game on a team that still has some fight in it.

5. it's hard to want to pull joey after he managed back to back wins, but in this offense, you have to throw the ball downfield. the falcons had only 3 really effective drives all day. on the opening drive, the pathers were not covering the dump off in the flats, and we marched downfield. after they adjusted, the only effective drives we had is when joey would take shots longer than 6 yards. while we have won 2 with joey, if we are going to entertain the silly thought of making the playoffs this year, it is going to have to be with leftwich.

6. we need depth ar rb. norwood's absence was huge, and i am worried about his long term ability to stay healthy. pinner is not an answer, and dunn can't carry that kind of load game after game.

overall, our defense is coming together is a big way. if the offense can produce enough points to win... well.... there is a distant glimmer of hope that we can be playing football in january. ohmy.gif

rev,

great insight and i agree for the most part, i believe joey played a solid game, and although tossing the ball down field is a concern he still did well enough to win the game. he did take one on the chin to get us a first down, and i don't believe leftwich would he would try to force one in for the first down. dry.gif

did ojinndude play yesterday? i missed the first quarter and they never mention ol on the radio!

houston had a monster game, i think 3 passes defendeed. 8 tackles, very nice indeed.

great news on trey and clabo.

how did weiner look? i know he wasn't playing his normal positon.

joey was frustrating, too many 3 and outs due to dump offs,

dunn had a great game but he is still getting tackle for a loss too often, so the ol needs work.

and wouldn't it be great if dunn hits 10,000 rushing yards against the yuccs!!!!!

i agree with you on eveything but joey. while he is a long way from the answer to our problems he atleast can take a hit and keep playing. yep would love to see more plays down field but is it really joey's fault or is he excuting the plays called by our idiotic h.c. stop and think about this. pertino made no adjustments to panthers stoping the run. about 90% of the downs were two runs then pass on third and long. was there really anyone who didn't know 3rd and long panthers would blitz and joey would not have time to make a really good pass.

enought said have a blessed day. wink.gif

good points rev!!!!

rev you failed to mention the crumpler touchdown where he rumbled like

a young man! that ball was thrown with precision as were some of the passes

upfield a bit to roddy. i hope whoever we have at qb will try to catch people

in stride. dumping balls to receivers stalled out in the flat and running 3rd down

routes that come up short of the markers even when caught need to be eliminated.

nuce post.

love the thoughts rev and i agree on pretty much everything. i guess my question is...with our lack of depth at rb why wouldnt we call up snelling? i mean at the very least he's a rb that can carry the ball. what if dunn goes down yesterday? is pinner going to tote the rock 20 times? ****, bring the kid up here let him take a few runs on special teams.

rev you failed to mention the crumpler touchdown where he rumbled like

a young man! that ball was thrown with precision as were some of the passes

upfield a bit to roddy. i hope whoever we have at qb will try to catch people

in stride. dumping balls to receivers stalled out in the flat and running 3rd down

routes that come up short of the markers even when caught need to be eliminated.

that pass was perfect timing by joey. the linebackers were blitzing, and harrington waited until crump had split the safeties. crump looked good coming back from the injury.

i have never said taht joey could not throw an accurate ball. he just can't/won't throw the ball vertically. petrino's offense will get shut down if we do nothing but throw the ball in the flats all day.

i agree with everything and have a thought about #6! i think we have rb depth and he is sitting on our practice squad! i am still scratching my head as to why he is down there! pinner needs to be released and snelling needs to be brought up. he was a beast in preseason! i guess bp has his reasons but i don't get them!

i agree with this. joey is very accurate but won't seem to push the ball downfield. i know he can, i think he's afraid of making the big mistake and doesn't quite trust his o-line and wrs fully.

that's good news about clabo. i hope wiener can hold down the fort at lt and clabo can hold down the fort at rt for the rest of the season. you mentioned his pass protection but how was his run blocking?

i think both tackles were solid yesterday in the run. several of dunns runs for 5+ yards were off the right side. they did not dominate, but that is still a talented dl for the panthers (even if they are having an off year). the bucs will be a bigger test to see of clabo can hang with the big boys.

the rest of this season is an audition for clabo. i hope he can maintain the level of play he had yesterday.

i agree with everything and have a thought about #6! i think we have rb depth and he is sitting on our practice squad! i am still scratching my head as to why he is down there! pinner needs to be released and snelling needs to be brought up. he was a beast in preseason! i guess bp has his reasons but i don't get them!

i still don't understand what snelling did to not make this team during pre-season. i think he would be a solid option behind dunn and norwood.

rev,

great insight and i agree for the most part, i believe joey played a solid game, and although tossing the ball down field is a concern he still did well enough to win the game. he did take one on the chin to get us a first down, and i don't believe leftwich would he would try to force one in for the first down. dry.gif

are you serious? maybe you're right. i mean, he only stood tall in the pocket while being twisted like a pretzel trying to complete a deep one to horn who by the way was open on that play. yeah, leftwich isn't tough at all.

i don't have the advantage of re watching the game but i do recall the one play where clabo got beat bad which resulted in a sack. he didn't even slow the guy down and barely got his pad on the guy. also there were two plays in particular that bothered me about joey. one was the play that milner got hurt on. joey threw the ball behind him so milner had to stop then turn around as a result getting hit in the knee blind side. the other play was when roddy was clearly past the 1st down marker and joey's throw was well short of that marker so roddy stopped, waited then had to come back across the marker as a result not getting the first down. most improved player was houston. they were picking on him most of the game and he stepped up big. it's nice to see db's who make a play on the ball instead of not even turning around and just resign themselves to tackling.

thanks for the analysis rev.

are you serious? maybe you're right. i mean, he only stood tall in the pocket while being twisted like a pretzel trying to complete a deep one to horn who by the way was open on that play. yeah, leftwich isn't tough at all.

there is a difference between willingness to take a hit and the ability to survive the hit. leftwich has always been plauged by injuries. if he stay's healthy, he's great.

i still don't understand what snelling did to not make this team during pre-season. i think he would be a solid option behind dunn and norwood.

exactly. he ran hard and ran effectively in everygame and he is more of a change of pace from the other two. i've been pretty big on petrino because i do think he is doing the best with some bad circumstances and from what i hear about the play calling (at least in the passing game) it has been light years ahead of the mora approach. that being said the grady thing was handled poorly and the snelling thing has irked me. hopefully he'll get better and adjust his approach to winning in the nfl.

i don't have the advantage of re watching the game but i do recall the one play where clabo got beat bad which resulted in a sack. he didn't even slow the guy down and barely got his pad on the guy. also there were two plays in particular that bothered me about joey. one was the play that milner got hurt on. joey threw the ball behind him so milner had to stop then turn around as a result getting hit in the knee blind side. the other play was when roddy was clearly past the 1st down marker and joey's throw was well short of that marker so roddy stopped, waited then had to come back across the marker as a result not getting the first down. most improved player was houston. they were picking on him most of the game and he stepped up big. it's nice to see db's who make a play on the ball instead of not even turning around and just resign themselves to tackling.

thanks for the analysis rev.

great dl are always going to make good plays against good ol from time to time. no one is perfect 100% of the time. but on the whole, clabo is playing at a far superior level than gandy, and is showing that he can start in this league. it might make more sense to move him back to his natural guard position if we pick up a tackle in the offseason (forney's better days may be behind him at this point).

love the thoughts rev and i agree on pretty much everything. i guess my question is...with our lack of depth at rb why wouldnt we call up snelling? i mean at the very least he's a rb that can carry the ball. what if dunn goes down yesterday? is pinner going to tote the rock 20 times? ****, bring the kid up here let him take a few runs on special teams.

i totally agree. don't know what snelling's problem can be. i thought he looked good in pre-season, and i am certainly not impressed with pinner.,

i agree on almost all of your points, but so far as pinner not being an option, i think is debateable.

he got exactly one carry yesterday, and everyone knew it was going to be a run. i kept hoping that we would bring him in for at least one series, spell dunn a little, and let's see what he can do when the defense doesn't know what play is coming.

1. - on one play, lewis was being double teamed, and was tying up 2 olinemen (which is what they wanted grady to do) - and still old man vinny had plenty of time to complete a pass. seems that somebody should have been free to pressure him - ?

2.- agreed. houston played an excellent game.

3.- clabo was solid. seems weiner had a little trouble adjusting to the other side, with a couple of false starts. but that's understandable, since he has to step back with the other foot first, etc.

4. - dunn is definitely a leader on the team, but his ypc was only 3.4, last week 3.7, season 3.2

5. - joey managed the game okay. but his throws were behind the receiver and/or short. he waits until the receiver breaks to throw, then his throws are not strong. as someone else pointed out: we beat sf w/out gore and car w/out jake. he got the job done, but i don't see a win vs. tb with joey.

6.- see # 4. at this point, i think i'd rather see snelling than pinner. although when they gave pinner the ball on 3rd down and short and he was stopped for a loss, everyone, including my dog, knew he was going to get the ball. stubborn, non creative play calling.

ok - so this is just mho. i am not bashing, i support the team. but there's a lot that needs to be fixed.

nice post, rev. here's my thoughts in relation to yours.

1. spot on here. lewis knows his role and is playing very well. he is doing exactly what zimmer wants him to do and it is helping the lbs and des to make plays.

2. good call. i still think that robinson is the best pick, maybe because he was somewhat of a sleeper, but i would say houston is a close 2nd. blalock is right there as well.

3. clabo played very well last year as well, but i don't think hit fit gibbs' scheme as well as petrino's. big, strong kid with good feet. i think he has the potential to be a solid starting rt or rg.

4. i think dunn has been playing hard all year, but it hasn't shown until the last couple of games because of poor run-blocking. he is getting older, but i think he still got another year or two in him as a 3rd down back. he is durable, has good hands, adequate speed and can block very well.

5. joey is a good b/u qb, but the team needs a strong armed, smart qb to help stretch the feild. i am not sold on leftwich. one, he can't stay healthy and two, he has a history of being out of shape coming into the season. that is something that petrino will not stand for.

6. i think that snelling could be a serviceable big back given the opportunity if the falcons don't p/u a big stud rb in the draft.

i am incouraged with the play of the d in the last couple of games, even against poor offensive teams, but the falcons got to start getting a few more down-feild big plays.

we will see just how well the team has bought into petrino's system next week against the bucs. tampa has played well this season behind garcia and not commited many tos. i think it will be another low scoring game, but i think the falcons have a very good chance of beating the bucs and getting back in the nfc south mix.( i can't believe i just said that after the way the season started, but i meant it.)

overall, a very good insightful post.