offensive line help

direwolf

max starts (ot) and alan faneca (og) are free agents after this season. of the two, faneca is least likely to want to return as a steeler since there was some animosity and a holdout in training camp.

if we could bring in one of those two, i'd be ecstatic. we should have enough money under the cap (i think that dunn and gandy will be gone and we'll have $7.6 million worth of dead money coming off plus whatever we get from vick) to get both, really, but the odds of getting both are fairly slim. i'd dance a jig on peachtree st if we did, though. talk about taking care of a problem!

both of those guys would fit what we want to do as far as our offensive line and i think that both would be instant upgrades for us. assuming that both hit the free agent market, which would you make the primary target? or would you go after someone else?

i'd probably like to see us bring in faneca. he's a perennial pro bowler and could teach blalock a ton. i'm just not sold on forney anymore, though we could be much worse off at rg than we are. but, with faneca in the lineup we wouldn't have to worry about interior pressure any time soon. also, this is a good year for offensive tackles in the draft and we could get one in the first or even second and stand a good chance of him being a terrific player.

thoughts? ideas?

direwolf

excellent idea dire but we could probably add a guard through the draft (or slide weiner over next year more probable) and that would address the position in a lot more economical way. here's what i'm hoping for:

lt: draft pick

lg: blalock

c: datish or free agent

rg: weiner

rt: foster/clabo/ojinnaka (camp battle decides)

i, too, havent' been all that impressed with forney this year and this is a system he should excel in but he's not.

faneca is a great og, but...

1 - he's already 30, so he'll be 32-33 by the time we start to get good

2 - he's probably going to take less money to go play for whisenhunt and grimm in az

i don't particularly want max starks. for the whys check out the fall of max starks.

i agree he will probably go to arizona for less money. at this point i'd much rather save the cap money and draft the people we need. i think bp is gonna unload as many people as possible to get draft picks.

faneca is a great og, but...

1 - he's already 30, so he'll be 32-33 by the time we start to get good

2 - he's probably going to take less money to go play for whisenhunt and grimm in az

i don't particularly want max starks. for the whys check out the fall of max starks.

faneca is going to be one of the highest rated guards in free agency.

thanks to the hutchinson contract good guards are now very expensive. if you look at how much money the best available guards got last year that were probably not as good as faneca... faneca is going to cost a lot of money to sign because all these other teams will have massive cap room thanks to the salary cap increase next season.

we will most likely still have vick's cap hit killing us next year so i don't expect us to be major players in free agency and be able to sign impact players... like fullbacks.

i don't think weiner is big and strong enough to play rg for us. i think we need to get 2 ot's in this draft, one ready to start day one at lt, and one to sit and develop behind weiner. weiner is pretty solid at pass blocking, but he's not powerful enough to dominate in run blocking. he's got solid technique, so he'd be a good one for the rookie to watch.

if he's big and strong enough to play rt at the level he's played it he'd be that much better at rg. i think it would work very, very well. i want to see where foster/clabo/ojinnaka go before drafting anything more than 1 tackle at this point. it's highly possible 1 or 2 of them might actually prove to be solid...

in order of preference i would rather have:

1) og alan feneca

2) og floyd womack

3) rt max starks

i think rg is a weaker link for us right now than rt.

i agree with you but womack is getting up there in years and his play this year has been a little off,plus the people in seattle really like him they'll probably keep him!feneca is def. the guy we need to take a look at!

faneca is looking for some real cash ... and we are not, nor do we need to, pay top dollar for a guard.

we may draft one in the second or third - but the real need is at tackle.

if we get anyone in free agency - it will be tackle - a position where it is difficult to start a rookie.

excellent idea dire but we could probably add a guard through the draft (or slide weiner over next year more probable) and that would address the position in a lot more economical way. here's what i'm hoping for:

i, too, havent' been all that impressed with forney this year and this is a system he should excel in but he's not.

no chance of weiner moving to guard.

weiner is far too small to be considered for that position by petrino.

besides, he is our best tackle.

clabo or foster would be far more likely to step in at guard if forney was gone.

at tackle weiner is massively under-rated.

i don't think we need to draft to replace weiner at this point; he's still got good years left and is a very solid right tackle.

i'd like to get a guard in fa just because this is a great year for tackles in the draft. i'd rather not have to get two offensive linemen early enough for them to be immediate contributors since we have so many holes to fill that we need our picks for other players.

if we could come away from the draft with an ot, qb, and mlb in the first three rounds, i'd be thrilled. we may have to let the right offensive guard position go for another year to do that, though; forney can hold it down if we need him to, but i'd rather get an upgrade.

i do agree that it'll be really expensive to sign a top-tier guard in fa, but i think we'll have the money. the cap will increase, we'll have a ton of dead money off the books, we'll be off the hook for vick's salary, and i'd be very surprised if dunn and gandy were still here come draft time. that would give us the room we need to do whatever we want to do in free agency.

direwolf

i think we might move foster to rg. he was a g on our depth chart to start the season. we moved him to lt because of the injuries and they were concerned about how he'd adjust to it. i think weiner stays at rt, he plays it well, and i believe we just re-signed him so he's not going anywhere. we should upgrade the c position and lt position. we could end up with...

lg: blalock (6'4" and 329lbs)

c: free agent/datish (6'4" and 302lbs)

rg: foster (6'7" and 326lbs)

rt: weiner (6'4" and 314lbs)

our ol used to average 298lbs. by next season, we'll easily have an extra 100lbs collectively on that front line. maybe then we can have a power rushing game. i wouldn't be disappointed at all if we picked up a lt in free agency. i do think foster could convert well into a starting rg. he has the size and leverage to take on dt's. weiner i think would struggle with the adjustment, his best asset is his relatively quick feet, which helps with taking on de's. he can't use his feet against a dt, and i think he'd get overpowered by a lot of bigger dt's in the league.

we just signed mcclure to an extension too.

right, but that was under a different coaching staff. petrino has no loyalty to mcclure and if he thinks there's a better option, he'll take it. this team isn't good enough to be able to afford the luxury of allowing tenure to be a factor in who plays.

direwolf

it was at the same time as the weiner re-signing that you mentioned... huh.gifblink.gifblink.gif

i know, but we can't get 2 new ot's. we can replace the c position. mcclure was signed to an extension, but we didn't break the bank on him. i figured we could replace one or the other, and i figured mcclure is having more trouble with our new scheme, so he would be the odd man out this season.

you should calm down and have some patience. we're not going to the playoffs next year, just accept that now and you'll have more fun. we're going to be rebuilding, and we're not going to have a lot of money for fa's... we'll be a very different team after petrino cleans house this offseason. a lot of vets will be gone and we'll have a lot of draft picks to pick up some quality young talent.

patience schmatience! you should have faith my friend. in today's nfl turnarounds are no longer a multi year plan. free agency and savvy egineering from the front office can turn a team into a contender in no time. regardless of what some on these boards would have you believe we are not that far away from being a legitimate contender. every game we have played this season has been close except the giants game. with a li'l luck we could be sitting at 6-2 right now with our current situation at qb, rb and ol.

rt: dahl/foster/ojinnaka (camp battle decides)

patience schmatience! you should have faith my friend. in today's nfl turnarounds are no longer a multi year plan. free agency and savvy egineering from the front office can turn a team into a contender in no time. regardless of what some on these boards would have you believe we are not that far away from being a legitimate contender. every game we have played this season has been close except the giants game. with a li'l luck we could be sitting at 6-2 right now with our current situation at qb, rb and ol.

that's right. we'll have nothing but cap space to sign all these free agents you're talking about.

dry.gif

i wish i could share your optimism but quality free agents will not come cheap because other teams will drive up the prices.

today's nfl?

really? tell me what a team does in today's nfl when their franchise player who also happened to be the highest paid player in the nfl can't play anymore and you don't get a break on thier cap hit?

if we don't get that money back from vick get used to more big name signings being positions like fullback.

last offseason before we knew vick wasn't going to be around the biggest move we could make was signing a full back.

we couldn't afford to resign kerney.

we couldn't afford to go after any of the top linemen in fa.

and this was when the salary cap increased.

i hate to tell you but all the big name free agent moves we made under mora, (webster, abraham, hartwell, etc), are still costing us money. they were all win now moves and we didn't.

combine that with the vick dead money and it's going to be real tough to make an overnight change.

don't you remember that when we signed vick to that contract how big of a deal it was because it would cripple the franchise if something happened to vick and he couldn't play?

i believe for sure that alan faneca will not re-sign with the steelers.

(mmmmmmm........i smell mrs. blank's lasagna now)

faneca stated in the offseason that this is his last year with the steelers. 0% chance he resigns unless they give the team to him. i'd be estatic if we signed him but in all honesty i can see him in arizona. his ties to wisenhunt and grimm wil take him there.

it was at the same time as the weiner re-signing that you mentioned... huh.gifblink.gifblink.gif

true, but weiner fits into petrino's blocking system better than mcclure does. weiner can drive block as well as zone block. mcclure's smart as ****, but just doesn't have the size to knock anyone off the line. i think that that, more than anything, was the reason harrington didn't convert that qb sneak; the line got no push and he was right behind the center.

against the pats, peyton manning was able to ride jeff saturday into the endzone for a td, but we don't have that option.

direwolf

that's right. we'll have nothing but cap space to sign all these free agents you're talking about.

dry.gif

i wish i could share your optimism but quality free agents will not come cheap because other teams will drive up the prices.

you are absolutely correct. hence quality. but it is high time this team starts paying for quality up front help on the o-line. the consistent neglect this team has shown toward the offensive trench has cost us for decades. i beg this franchise to undo the undid.

today's nfl?

really? tell me what a team does in today's nfl when their franchise player who also happened to be the highest paid player in the nfl can't play anymore and you don't get a break on thier cap hit?

time will tell what help we get on the cap hit.

if we don't get that money back from vick get used to more big name signings being positions like fullback.

last offseason before we knew vick wasn't going to be around the biggest move we could make was signing a full back.

we couldn't afford to resign kerney. so instead we drafted a de in the 1st round. kerney wasn't excactly causing qb's to quiver from his spot on the injury report.

we couldn't afford to go after any of the top linemen in fa.

and this was when the salary cap increased.

i hate to tell you but all the big name free agent moves we made under mora, (webster, abraham, hartwell, etc), are still costing us money. they were all win now moves and we didn't.

that is why i beg the front office to shore up our o-line and quit over-spending on under performing fa's.

combine that with the vick dead money and it's going to be real tough to make an overnight change. you keep going back to the dead money like it's a done deal. there is some hope there that the right decision will be made in the falcon's favor.

don't you remember that when we signed vick to that contract how big of a deal it was because it would cripple the franchise if something happened to vick and he couldn't play?

of course i remember. i also remember the fact that vick was a special talent with extraordinary skills and was a difference maker on the field. it wasn't the wrong decision at the time and we can't blame the fo for vick's mistakes.

hang your head if you want to guys that's your option. i still believe that it's blank's goal to get this team a sb win.

that's exactly right.....we're close.....very close and qb, rb and ol and possibly a mlb would make the difference

i like forney at og a whole lot better than weiner at rt for next season. forney is having a down year but he's still relatively young. i think we should stick to our guns at rg for next year and address both tackle positions this offseason.

we should sign starks to man the rt position and draft a lt with one of our first two picks.

lt:pick

lg:blaylock

c:dalton

rg:forney

rt:starks

and let foster battle it out with forney at rg. faneca would be an upgrade at rg but he'd break the bank and he's already 30. i say we stay put there for one more season and see what we have with forney and foster. forney may get his career back on track on a revamped oline. if not, foster might be a gem at rg. ****, we could even try weiner at rg if both of them suck next year. if all else fails we draft another blaylock next year to take over the position. no reason to spend 7 million on a 30 year old guard when we have so many options.

i agree, but don't be short-sighted and impatient. it takes time to build a winner.

short-sighted? calling for help on the o-line and a legitimate runner isn't being short-sighted....it's having higher expectations. thinking that it takes three plus years and that this team needs a complete overhaul is ridiculous and absurd. fix the problem areas!