are road games blacked out?

flybird

am i the only one who hates this rule?i know it's all about money but doesn't the nfl make lots of money in other ways?

i think it's an antiquated rule that was made way before the advent of tv/media as we know it today. in the big picture i bet it ends up costing them way more money and fans than it gains. people who are going to go to the game are going to go anyway (like i did last week), they aren't going to be extorted into going. others simply cannot go for either financial or personal reasons.

so, what happens is that with the blackout rule, the nfl reduces the number of opportunities for fans to see its team (a sales/marketing no-no) which means less likelihood of watching that game or the next, or it's commercials, or buying merchandise etc... take away the opportunity enough and some won't come back (i know quite a few of those actually).

i would guess that the blackout rule actually has very little impact on attendance. in the past when tv stations would buy the remaining tickets for a 'soon to be blacked out' game, it wasn't so there would be butts in the seats, its so that many many more folks would watch their channel (and therefore see the advertising).

i have no grand illusions of this ever changing though, much like the college bowl system it's an entrenched tradition for the worse and it's here to stay.

the most ridiculous blackout i've heard of was this year in savannah, where folks have been watching the falcons games every week for 40+ years, yet they couldn't see the falcons - jags game because it was blacked out in jacksonville 140 miles away (more than the 75 mile limit). communists!!

as i sit here and think about this blackout thing i realized how screwy this is. i am currently considering new employment options and given equal job quality, i found myself actually leaning more towards moving out of atlanta so that i can see all of my favorite team's games via sunday ticket. totally backwards, but it could end up being the deciding factor. ****, i would gladly pay for sunday ticket here and now if it wasn't for the blackout rule.

as i sit here and think about this blackout thing i realized how screwy this is. i am currently considering new employment options and given equal job quality, i found myself actually leaning more towards moving out of atlanta so that i can see all of my favorite team's games via sunday ticket. totally backwards, but it could end up being the deciding factor. ****, i would gladly pay for sunday ticket here and now if it wasn't for the blackout rule.

here's a novel approach.....buy tickets to the game instead of moving to an area where you can see them.

how many favorite teams do you have?! 3? 4? the patriots, colts, steelers, and who else?

do road games get blacked out? will the falcons be on fox in the atl this sunday?

i'm not gonna say to you like everyone else that road games "are not" blacked out. the reason why is i like to try and keep up with the hawks, we had a free nba preview for 2 weeks and the hawks were blacked out playing in l.a. at the time on "charter". charter sucks!!! where some friends of mine live around the tn/ga line they keep saying that they might show some other teams other than the falcons because of the titans. so i dunno, they might show them and they might not.......

listen up owner and coaches and all the powers that be. bottom line falcons owners and the powers that be : "you create this type of situation where people for whatever reason who can't go to the game wonder if the game is gonna be shown or not and sooner or later lose interest because if you can't watch and keep up with the team other than stats then there is no reason to waste time trying to watch them or even think about going to a game!!!

don't forget about the colts game that is only gonna be shown on the nfl network which "charter no longer carries" and unless i am wrong i don't think that "comcast does either at least not in this area that my friends are in!". everybody says "complain to comcast or charter", which i have done and it doesn't do any good........... "we need internet pay per view on these types of games!!!!!!! and i would love it if it was available off of this webisite to view on those blackout games!!!!!!". admins. thoughts???? i would pay a ticket price to watch the game on here if it was blacked out and i couldn't go to the game. i have been to two games this season and the last game i couldn't go because of other obligations. thing is though, nobody knew untill more or less a few days before that the game was blacked out, that being the fact if i woulda known before hand a little earlier i might have made other arrangments to go to the game. my point is the blackout stopped me from going to the game instead of getting me to go.........