the truth about petrino

adkchamp

i got to say this, he is a "plug-and-play" coach right now. and it's not a bad thing cause all the great coaches in the nfl had to start off that way anyways. i think we should keep petrino for years, like bill cowher and the steelers. no matter how many times they've won and lost, they won a superbowl. right now as the atlanta falcons, nothing ever turned out great for us and when it did at once, it turned out even horribly soon later (mick vick and etc.). i think as fans are so fed up on winning that it's not gonna come in pieces after pieces. you first gotta keep some pieces, like a coaching staff. if you, as the gm like mckay, have 100% trust with your coaches, then things won't look bad later on, maybe. but as a new york giant and atlanta falcons fan, i think we need to keep petrino and co. and allow them to let these young players be better. i got more to say but lets see what ya think!

i got to say this, he is a "plug-and-play" coach right now. and it's not a bad thing cause all the great coaches in the nfl had to start off that way anyways. i think we should keep petrino for years, like bill cowher and the steelers. no matter how many times they've won and lost, they won a superbowl. right now as the atlanta falcons, nothing ever turned out great for us and when it did at once, it turned out even horribly soon later (mick vick and etc.). i think as fans are so fed up on winning that it's not gonna come in pieces after pieces. you first gotta keep some pieces, like a coaching staff. if you, as the gm like mckay, have 100% trust with your coaches, then things won't look bad later on, maybe. but as a new york giant and atlanta falcons fan, i think we need to keep petrino and co. and allow them to let these young players be better. i got more to say but lets see what ya think!

i have to agree.if you keep swaping players and coaches you might luck up and a superbowl,but only one.to be a long standing team we've got to have long lasting people who build it.

this franchise has never really had constancy. it's always been about the quick fix and never the long haul. 40+ years of quick fix hasn't worked yet, so why not try 5-7 on the long haul strategy?

the falcon's franchise has always been run like a fast food restaurant, slam, bam, thank you mam ! oops, that didn't work too well...................let's start over. again, and again, and again.

i disagree and it's hard to compare a team with 5 super bowl championships with a team that has one super bowl loss.

how long do the falcons keep a head coach?

hecker was in atlanta 3 years. he had 4 wins and 26 losses. but he was the first coach so we won't count him because of the expansion blues.

van brocklin was with the falcons 7 years.

campbell, 6 years.

leeman bennett 6 years.

glanvile, 4 years.

june jones 3 years.

dan reeves (the guy we screamed at the front office for not firing?) 7 years.

only 3 other falcon coaches were less than the above and those guys (like wade phillips) took over after a season firing of a coach.

so the falcons do keep coaches for long periods of time. dan reeves and norm van broklin were in atlanta for a total of 14 years. thirteen losing season and one super winning season. could there be other problems?

i disagree and it's hard to compare a team with 5 super bowl championships with a team that has one super bowl loss.

how long do the falcons keep a head coach?

hecker was in atlanta 3 years. he had 4 wins and 26 losses. but he was the first coach so we won't count him because of the expansion blues.

van brocklin was with the falcons 7 years.

campbell, 6 years.

leeman bennett 6 years.

glanvile, 4 years.

june jones 3 years.

dan reeves (the guy we screamed at the front office for not firing?) 7 years.

only 3 other falcon coaches were less than the above and those guys (like wade phillips) took over after a season firing of a coach.

so the falcons do keep coaches for long periods of time. dan reeves and norm van broklin were in atlanta for a total of 14 years. thirteen losing season and one super winning season. could there be other problems?

maybe the smith's?

i think thats why the steelers have been sucessful, because they let a coach build a team, and they get young coaches, so they can lead the team for a long time. i believe that petrino needs the time to build a team. if given the time, we will win a sb. do not be in a hurry to win, or you wont win the big 1.

great response!! i have been saying that we need to stop the "coaching carousel" for a while -- this team needs consistency, and by changing the coaching staff every 2-3 years, we'll never have that! petrino has the potential to be a very good nfl coach, but he needs time. immediate results weren't expected this season by anyone, including the f.o.

just give the man a chance to build -- rome wasn't built in a day!!

and why combine two coaches seasons? does it look better to say two coaches with 14 years did nothing.