byron leftwich

if byron leftwich comes back and plays great football for the rest of the season showing he can handle the qb position, would we really need to address the qb position first over the o-line, rb and the k?

i mean think about it jamarcus russell just got about 32 million as the #1 overall qb if we draft a qb in the top five he is going to want at least 25 million and he won't come in and start right away. is there a qb in the draft worth 25 million over about 5 or 6 years?

if byron leftwich comes back and plays great football for the rest of the season showing he can handle the qb position, would we really need to address the qb position first over the o-line, rb and the k?

here's the thing. if leftwhich comes back and plays "lights out" we're most likely not getting a top 5 pick. probably not even a top 10. we'll end up with a middle round pick.

the problem is that leftwhich is another band-aid fix and not a long term solution. especially when you consider he has two problem ankles now and has trouble making it through an entire season.

we need a left tackle because gandy is probably done, foster didn't look that great when he was in there as well as being an undrafted louisville free agent and weiner is getting up there as well.

we are looking at a major problem at the tackle position in a few seasons that we need to address now.

if you want long term success think o-line but petrino will probably draft his qb which will not win us any more games in the next few seasons or do anything as far as ticket sales go... so he'll end up getting canned and we'll have another first round bust at qb.

especially given the falcons problems on the offensive line. to me, the ol and dl should be priorities 1 and 1a in the offseason.

so when or who do we go after at qb because we all agree that leftwich has durability problems? i just don't think paying a rookie 25 million that has never played in the nfl is a good ideal either.

i believe that we will tah a qb in the 2nd because of byron being able to get it done until he develops. a tackle will be needed but is not the no. 1 need, center believe it or not is the biggest need, mcclure plays well but he is not strong enough or quick enough to handle today's massive and quick dts, he often gets push out of the way. foster ojinaka, wiener and clabo all have show much improvement in pass blocking and are getting used to playing together. rb, mlb and qb will be a huge need next year all of them moreso than a tackle.

if he does, then we will probably draft a qb later in the draft. either way we have to find our qb of the future. that way leftwich, if he plays well, can give w/e is our next qb time to develop.

this is where josh johnson comes into play he will be drafted in th 4th to 6th round and he looks to be accurate and the steal of the draft

i believe that we will tah a qb in the 2nd because of byron being able to get it done until he develops. a tackle will be needed but is not the no. 1 need, center believe it or not is the biggest need, mcclure plays well but he is not strong enough or quick enough to handle today's massive and quick dts, he often gets push out of the way. foster ojinaka, wiener and clabo all have show much improvement in pass blocking and are getting used to playing together. rb, mlb and qb will be a huge need next year all of them moreso than a tackle.

i hope you're not implying we should take a center with our first pick.

i hope you're not implying we should take a center with our first pick.

no, but i wouldn't mind taking one with the one of the 2nd rd picks. getting a fa guard with a center and tackles in the later rounds would be optimal. our first rd pick should be to get a talent not normally found. dorsey, mcfadden, long deals.

no, but i wouldn't mind taking one with the one of the 2nd rd picks. getting a fa guard with a center and tackles in the later rounds would be optimal. our first rd pick should be to get a talent not normally found. dorsey, mcfadden, long deals.

alright, i'm okay with that.

leftwich looked pretty good considering #1, he's new in the system and #2, he hasnt played in a while. leftwich has a strong arm like vick which usually means if he gets a little excited, he may overthrow some recievers. i liked how he settled down in the saints game. he was making throws harrington just cant make. i could see byron taking over at qb position and doing a good job but i just dont see him as being the face of this franchise for the next 10 years. the longer leftwich is in, the longer it is until we draft our qb for the future. we are in great need of a ot and a dt. i think we'll make it another year at de. we also need to be looking at a mlb and a fs. not to mention rb's and even a c. we definatly have some needs.

byron is not a long term answer which is what is needed. if he can do well next year that will give a drafted qb to get acclimated. i would not depend on shockley to suddenly become this great qb so i would draft qb in the first and ot in the second because i think there is still better value for ot in the second than at qb. that is the price the falcons have to pay because we need to get a franchise qb quick and not become the dolphins or bucs with the flavor of the month qb. the qb carousel hinders the development and consistency of the offense just as changing the lineman around. by slowly changing the line instead of a massive overhaul there should be less of a noticeable drop in productivity. yes it actually could be worse than now.