does anyone else not like th eplay calling this year?

araq44

yesterday while watching the game i felt fustrated with the play calling and that feeling has been with me every game. i do not like the play calling and the decisions that are made. is coach p calling the plays or the oc, anyone know?

if it is coach p i think he should turn over the play calling because he is the suck at it.

yesterday while watching the game i felt fustrated with the play calling and that feeling has been with me every game. i do not like the play calling and the decisions that are made. is coach p calling the plays or the oc, anyone know?

if it is coach p i think he should turn over the play calling because he is the suck at it.

huh.gifhuh.gifblink.gifblink.gifblink.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

maybe you should turn over your typing duties because.......see the quote above. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

while i'm not in the huddle, from what i gather after a few years watching uofl and now the coach p falcon's, the system is that coach p calls a formation, and 1st option play, the quarterback reads the defense, and selects the best play from the package based upon the defense. the success or failure of boils down to how well he qb reads the d and checks into the best option in the package.

so the 'play call' is really a qb call, though the package is called from the sidelines, and in most instances, i've seen pretty good matchups downfield, with a lot of 'open' receivers and some good running lanes, they haven't always been picked up well by the qb. joey's numbers are pretty good, but his armstrength to get vertical isn't there, and after really watching the games, i feel that much of the poor playcalling falls on harrington's shoulders as poor reads on the defense presnap, and not getting good reads on the db's after the snap. yes, his completion percentage is high, but he's checking down underneath too often for no gain.

so, coach p calls the packages, but the plays themselves are for the most part jh. sadly, jh is a smart kid, but he seems to overthink things, while mv who may well be as dumb as the wonderlic scores suggested, certainly didn't overthink anything, but his instincts allowed him to grasp what a d was doing without thinking.

if its the playcalling, then its due to having to tailor it around a qb that can't throw it deep. opposing cbs don't have to worry about defending deep because joey can't heave it that far. so its easier to put eight in the box to stop the run...too easy against our swiss cheese o-line.

while i'm not in the huddle, from what i gather after a few years watching uofl and now the coach p falcon's, the system is that coach p calls a formation, and 1st option play, the quarterback reads the defense, and selects the best play from the package based upon the defense. the success or failure of boils down to how well he qb reads the d and checks into the best option in the package.

so the 'play call' is really a qb call, though the package is called from the sidelines, and in most instances, i've seen pretty good matchups downfield, with a lot of 'open' receivers and some good running lanes, they haven't always been picked up well by the qb. joey's numbers are pretty good, but his armstrength to get vertical isn't there, and after really watching the games, i feel that much of the poor playcalling falls on harrington's shoulders as poor reads on the defense presnap, and not getting good reads on the db's after the snap. yes, his completion percentage is high, but he's checking down underneath too often for no gain.

so, coach p calls the packages, but the plays themselves are for the most part jh. sadly, jh is a smart kid, but he seems to overthink things, while mv who may well be as dumb as the wonderlic scores suggested, certainly didn't overthink anything, but his instincts allowed him to grasp what a d was doing without thinking.

thanks! that explains a lot, i am surprised that joey is reading the coverage and making the call at the line.

i don't have a ton of gripes about the play calling, but the call for harrington on the qb sneak on 4th and 1 was just utterly ********. either give it to a short yardage back or go for big yardage on a play action pass. harrington doesn't have the strength to get down and grind out a tough yard like that. mughelli already had the goal line td. doesn't that give petrino enough confidence in him to get the call on 4th and 1?

i don't have a ton of gripes about the play calling, but the call for harrington on the qb sneak on 4th and 1 was just utterly ********. either give it to a short yardage back or go for big yardage on a play action pass. harrington doesn't have the strength to get down and grind out a tough yard like that. mughelli already had the goal line td. doesn't that give petrino enough confidence in him to get the call on 4th and 1?

it wasnt that impressive of a run. i'm shocked it was ruled a td.

it wasnt that impressive of a run. i'm shocked it was ruled a td.

on mughelli's td run the o-line got almost no push but he still managed to get the td. on his initial push you can definitely see that the ball broke the plane of the goal line. i don't know why you were shocked. the officials' call wasn't even challenged.

but back on topic ... given the lack of movement on the line on that play, why would you trust the o-line to get enough push for harrington to pick up the first. it was a ******** call

i think there are a lot of limitations on what our personnel can execute. we'd all love to see the ball spread around a lot more and see a lot more creativity with the play calling. but the problem is, a lot of that creativity is dictated by what your presonnel can execute. our ol can't hold blocks, so an end-around is a waste of a down (we've tried and we've lost yardage). some pass plays need more mustard on the ball then others. that is why you'd see byron leftwich making some throws that we won't even see attempted by joey. i think for the most part our wr's/backs are more than capable for executing most playcalls, but if your ol can't maintain blocks and your qb can't rifle the ball, your offense is going to be limited to what it can execute successfully.

petrino already said they've had to change a lot of what they were planning on doing because of the loss of vick and the entrance of joey. joey can make a lot of throws, but there are also a lot that he can't make. for instance, throwing behind the los to the wr when the cb is playing off, that play only works if you can get the ball to the wr very quickly, otherwise the cb has time to read it and stop the play before the wr gets a chance to build momentum.

it is not the play calling, but the lack of personnel to execute his offense the way it should be. everyone thinks that petrino's offense is a pass first offense, but he wants balance establish the run to open up passing lanes.

he doesn't have the lineman to run block, and doesn't have a qb with the arm strength or confidence to throw the ball down field. it was really obvious yesterday on a couple of plays i remember.

there was one where sf's d tipped the blitz early and jh read it and called an audible for a run play right where the blitz was coming from. the second and most telling play was on the drive when we scored our last fg. on the first play of the drive after getting the turnover, we came out in a double te set with one wr and a full back.

sf had everybody in the box execpt the cb that was one on one with roddy white. this is the ideal play to take a shot and get a td. instead of checking to a three step drop and throwing out to roddy and let him make a play, jh gave the ball to dunn and he lost two yards.

maybe petrino has the leash on joey because he can't throw the ball deep, but if he doesn't it really shows how bad a qb jh is.

i like his offense, sometimes he is stubborn about running the ball, but i understand it. you can't get better at running the ball if you throw it all the time, and we don't have a qb that can win us a ball game throwing 30-40 times. i do no this, the last three years i could predict what play was going to be run when we came to the line of scrimmage at least 70 per cent of the time. you can ask the folks in my section if you don't believe me. haven't been able to do that with petrino, and he does have wrinkles to set plays that he runs during the game.

yesterday, we ran the stretch play with dunn to the right alot yesterday. after their d adjusted to it, petrino came back with two different options to that play. one was the bootleg, but wasn't effective because joey is not fast enough to beat the end to the outside for the play to develop, the other was a counter trap they came back to the left with an inside handoff. the play got about 7 yards but they needed 9 to get a first down.

imo, the play calling is fine, and as he gets the personnel to fit the offense, it will become more evident.