what is it that petrino has shown you that makes you think he is the right coach for this team?

Rev_Hal

first off, i have some very positive things to say about this coaching staff. it is easy to see the influence that hue jackson ahs had on the offense - especially the young receivers. he has done an outstanding job at moldiong and forming that unit into something respectable.

zimmer has this defense playing at a competitive level, even while missing a few pieces. we still need to sure up the run defense, but the defense is playing good enough to win. if the offense was adequate, we could be competitive.

with that said, what has petrino showed you that makes you believe in him? just being a hard nosed disciplinearian doea not make you a good coach, just like being "one of the guys" does not make you a good coach either. bill belichick, who people idiotically compare petrino to, failed early in his career as a head coach with his hard-nosed discipline. tom coughlin has openly stated that he had to change his ways and back off his hard nosed stance to effective lead the giants this year.

what i have seen is a coach that has alienated his players and lost their trust and confidence in a hurry. i see bellicheck in cleveland all over again. he has been referred to in the paper and pre-game shows as a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. he has openely stated that he does not care if players like him or not. that is all well and good, if you can also bring a team together. that is the piece that i have not seen or heard occuring from any source.

i know that petrino did not expect the uproar that occured this offseason, and i am sure he would have passed on the job if he had any idea what monster storm he was walking into. but this is his team now, and it is up to him to bring people together, not tear things apart. if our pro-bowler players want out, what top players do you think will want to come play here? who are we going to be able to attract? disipline is fine and needed, but so is leadership.

leadership is not throwing your qb under the bus to the press - even if his play was sub par. leardership is working with your team leaders, not against them. leadership is instilling a comon goal for the team to strive towards, and getting everyone on the same page. these are not college kids that you can just yell at. these are paid professionals that know how to play the game, or else they would not be in the nfl.

i am not giving up on petrino or calling for him to be fired. but from all that i read and hear, i am not yet conviced that he is the right person to coach this team. i know i'm going to get a lot of "it's too early to tell" responses, but the situation that is on the table today is bad, and it will take a real leader to fix it. why do you think petrino is that guy?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first off, i have some very positive things to say about this coaching staff. it is easy to see the influence that hue jackson ahs had on the offense - especially the young receivers. he has done an outstanding job at moldiong and forming that unit into something respectable.

zimmer has this defense playing at a competitive level, even while missing a few pieces. we still need to sure up the run defense, but the defense is playing good enough to win. if the offense was adequate, we could be competitive.

with that said, what has petrino showed you that makes you believe in him? just being a hard nosed disciplinearian doea not make you a good coach, just like being "one of the guys" does not make you a good coach either. bill belichick, who people idiotically compare petrino to, failed early in his career as a head coach with his hard-nosed discipline. tom coughlin has openly stated that he had to change his ways and back off his hard nosed stance to effective lead the giants this year.

what i have seen is a coach that has alienated his players and lost their trust and confidence in a hurry. i see bellicheck in cleveland all over again. he has been referred to in the paper and pre-game shows as a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. he has openely stated that he does not care if players like him or not. that is all well and good, if you can also bring a team together. that is the piece that i have not seen or heard occuring from any source.

i know that petrino did not expect the uproar that occured this offseason, and i am sure he would have passed on the job if he had any idea what monster storm he was walking into. but this is his team now, and it is up to him to bring people together, not tear things apart. if our pro-bowler players want out, what top players do you think will want to come play here? who are we going to be able to attract? disipline is fine and needed, but so is leadership.

leadership is not throwing your qb under the bus to the press - even if his play was sub par. leardership is working with your team leaders, not against them. leadership is instilling a comon goal for the team to strive towards, and getting everyone on the same page. these are not college kids that you can just yell at. these are paid professionals that know how to play the game, or else they would not be in the nfl.

i am not giving up on petrino or calling for him to be fired. but from all that i read and hear, i am not yet conviced that he is the right person to coach this team. i know i'm going to get a lot of "it's too early to tell" responses, but the situation that is on the table today is bad, and it will take a real leader to fix it. why do you think petrino is that guy?

that's not really a fair question because one he didn't expect to be playing the season with a backup qb.

so i say give him another year until we start to talk about why he is not a good coach.

it's not so much that petrino has shown me anything yet, but rather my belief that he has not gotten a fair shot at all this year. his franchise player is going to prison and we threw a backup in to replace him. we replace the backup with a guy that was cut from the jaguars, and he got hurt. our o-line -- ignored for years by 2 prior coaching staffs -- is exposed by the absence of ykw.

but our defense has played well, and we saw for 3 brief quarters against the saints what this offense could be with a qb who can (or will) make all the throws. not saying it was a flash of brilliance, but it was a glimpse. i like the offensive concepts. everyone harps on the playcalling, but i saw a lot of big play potential squandered by our qb. i can see this team improving rapidly with a better qb, improved o-line and maybe another roadgrader type rb. we're not missing that many pieces. we're just missing 3 of the most important pieces.

i'm willing to give petrino a few years to pull this together. he walked into a landmine.

that's not really a fair question because one he didn't expect to be playing the season with a backup qb.

so i say give him another year until we start to talk about why he is not a good coach.

i'm asking you to dig deeper. from what he has shown you, why should we believe in him?

i don't love the guy or hate him. but i will give him this much. he has won 2 of 8 games, been right there for the win in all but 1 game. doing so with a team that went through the biggest debacle/media circus in the history of the nfl(past, present and future). a team that ,by the way, lost the one guy the entire o was built around for the last 6 yrs. you can't fix all that in half a season.

it's not so much that petrino has shown me anything yet, but rather my belief that he has not gotten a fair shot at all this year. his franchise player is going to prison and we threw a backup in to replace him. we replace the backup with a guy that was cut from the jaguars, and he got hurt. our o-line -- ignored for years by 2 prior coaching staffs -- is exposed by the absence of ykw.

but our defense has played well, and we saw for 3 brief quarters against the saints what this offense could be with a qb who can (or will) make all the throws. not saying it was a flash of brilliance, but it was a glimpse. i like the offensive concepts. everyone harps on the playcalling, but i saw a lot of big play potential squandered by our qb. i can see this team improving rapidly with a better qb, improved o-line and maybe another roadgrader type rb. we're not missing that many pieces. we're just missing 3 of the most important pieces.

i'm willing to give petrino a few years to pull this together. he walked into a landmine.

still, that does not answer the question. what has be done positive for the franchise to make you believe he can lead this team to the playoffs?

still, that does not answer the question. what has be done positive for the franchise to make you believe he can lead this team to the playoffs?

whether you like it or not, petrino and his staff are what has kept this team in games this season and gave them at least a chance to win. if mora were still here, i think the falcons would be 0-8 and losing by about 30pts. a game.

whether you like it or not, petrino and his staff are what has kept this team in games this season and gave them at least a chance to win. if mora were still here, i think the falcons would be 0-8 and losing by about 30pts. a game.

i think the players on the field have kept us in the game.

"leadership is not throwing your qb under the bus to the press - even if his play was sub par. leardership is working with your team leaders, not against them. leadership is instilling a comon goal for the team to strive towards, and getting everyone on the same page. these are not college kids that you can just yell at. these are paid professionals that know how to play the game, or else they would not be in the nfl."

"i am not giving up on petrino or calling for him to be fired. but from all that i read and hear, i am not yet conviced that he is the right person to coach this team. i know i'm going to get a lot of "it's too early to tell" responses, but the situation that is on the table today is bad, and it will take a real leader to fix it. why do you think petrino is that guy?"

this not not why is is right guy but why he is wrong guy.

i think he stinks. like you said he as lost the team respect. we have lost 4 games by 7 or less points and in everyone of those there are more then enought play calls by him to question as to if he even has a clue to what he is doing.

yesterday is a good example of how lost he is. he made no, count them nothing, none, zero, zilch, adjustment at half time to improve on what we were doing first half.

we were out scored in second half again and only by sheer luck did we get the win. the man may have been a great clooage coach but in the nfl is is way out of his league.

i'm not sure what answer you are looking for. if you want me to say "look at this game or that game where we showed we can dominate," we haven't shown that. i don't think this team is capable of showing that.

what petrino has shown me is leadership. he has stewarded this team through a very tough time, and although our record is bad, our play in large part has not been. we are mediocre, but we ought to be horrible. we've been in every game except the giants game. you imply that he is not pulling the team together. i will counter that, with the exception of a couple of malcontents, we would not be playing as well as we are if he hadn't pulled the team together. if the team had packed it in, we'd be seeing shades of the last carolina game last year. we are not seeing that.

and this with a backup qb, a terrible o-line, our best rb injured, our best te injured, etc., et al., ad nauseum.

i'm not sure what answer you are looking for. if you want me to say "look at this game or that game where we showed we can dominate," we haven't shown that. i don't think this team is capable of showing that.

what petrino has shown me is leadership. he has stewarded this team through a very tough time, and although our record is bad, our play in large part has not been. we are mediocre, but we ought to be horrible. we've been in every game except the giants game. you imply that he is not pulling the team together. i will counter that, with the exception of a couple of malcontents, we would not be playing as well as we are if he hadn't pulled the team together. if the team had packed it in, we'd be seeing shades of the last carolina game last year. we are not seeing that.

and this with a backup qb, a terrible o-line, our best rb injured, our best te injured, etc., et al., ad nauseum.

from many different sources, i have read and heard that it is more than just a few disgruntled players. a few have been vocal and have spoken out, but several reports state that they represent the attitude of most of the players. if it were just a few malcontents, i would not be as unnerved as i am now about petrino.

i'm asking you to dig deeper. from what he has shown you, why should we believe in him?

well he can't go out there and make the plays thats up to the players.

there has being some games that if the "players" would of made plays we would of won, so know do we get rid of all the players who didn't make plays.

yes there are some things you can question, like his playcalling and leadership skills but that will come with time. there is a big diffrence between the college and pros so he is going to need time to adapt to dealing with grown men.e but i do like the way he called out joey for his terrible qb play.

i think the players on the field have kept us in the game.

which ones? the horrible oline, the poor qbs, the past-his prime rb, or the players that have meltdowns on the feild or air the teams dirty laundry to the media?? are those the players you are referring to?

now i know the players still have to play the games, but this team could easily be 0-8 and getting blown out every game if not for some good coaching. not saying it's just petrino, but he and his staff have done all they can do, i think, considering the circumstances.

he's actually disciplining the players. his system is so good, even joey harrington can complete 65% of his passes. he has assembled a group of coaches that i think are an improvement over last season. he brought hue jackson here, which i think is the single most significant reason our wr's look so much improved from last season. he brought zimmer here, who i think has a very good 4-3 system, and has been pretty decent considering the poor field position our offense has left them with, also considering the injuries and loss of talent we've had from last season, along with the number of rookies we've put in place.

there are some positives i can take from this season thus far. there are also some negatives. but you were asking what positives, so that's what i've seen that gives me hope. once he gets the players that fits his system, along with a qb that is capable of running it, i think this team could be very successful. our defense has looked pretty good, and if our offense could score more, i think our defense could be outstanding because it makes opposing teams offenses more predictable.

i don't think he will remain the coach after this season. in my opinion, even the players feel that he will leave this team for the auburn job once the offer is made. i can't help but feel like he wants to turn the players and the fans against him in order to make his exit an easy one.

i don't really blame him for being frustrated with this job, but i'd like to see him put forth more of an effort to do well for the rest of the season.

he is going to be tuberville's assistant, again?

well he can't go out there and make the plays thats up to the players.

there has being some games that if the "players" would of made plays we would of won, so know do we get rid of all the players who didn't make plays.

yes there are some things you can question, like his playcalling and leadership skills but that will come with time. there is a big diffrence between the college and pros so he is going to need time to adapt to dealing with grown men.e but i do like the way he called out joey for his terrible qb play.

i never understood this. why is it ok for bp to call out the back up qb for playing like a back up qb, yet crumpler and dhall are ready to be run out of town for calling out bp?

and it's not about the player's making plays, it's about the coaching putting the team in the best position to win, and that's not what bp was doing, such as prater, norwood never touching the ball, etc.

which ones? the horrible oline, the poor qbs, the past-his prime rb, or the players that have meltdowns on the feild or air the teams dirty laundry to the media?? are those the players you are referring to?

no. the defense that has kept us in almost every game. the young wide receivers (white, robinson) that ar making plays. those players.

fair enough. but it is equally innacturate to say that petrino kept us in games.

i'm not sure a coach "keeps you in games." the coach calls the plays, the players execute.

i think what petrino has done, and this is a fair criticism, is fail to manage the game to put is in the best position to win. but to be entirely fair, the players have also failed to execute at critical points.

i don't want to assume anything, rev, but do you attend the games typically? i went to my first one since 1998 yesterday, and it was an eye-opener. there were a couple of "what is he doing?" moments with the playcalling. but there were a lot of "what is he doing?" moments with the qb decisions, etc.

wrt the "reports" of team discontent, again i say, if the team had not bought into the coach and scheme, they wouldn't be doing as well as they are. alge crumpler said today that "all that stuff" (about not buying into the coach and his scheme) "is behind us." i think coach and players are realizing they're in this mess together. i think we'll get better as we go. but i think we have too many pieces, and too many tough games, to evaluate petrino this year. get him a few more pieces, and if we're still 2-6 at midseason, then obviously we have a problem. i'm not sure mora would have won a game yet. that, to me, is the biggest difference.

i never understood this. why is it ok for bp to call out the back up qb for playing like a back up qb, yet crumpler and dhall are ready to be run out of town for calling out bp?

and it's not about the player's making plays, it's about the coaching putting the team in the best position to win, and that's not what bp was doing, such as prater, norwood never touching the ball, etc.

good point.