for all you petrino huggers, answer this...

i hear all the time you huggers sayin all petrino needs is players to fit his scheme, ok after he gets those so called players then what....is that gonna stop him from being so conservative in games when we up by a fieldgoal with a sizeable amount of minutes left in the game and he chooses to run the ball to run the clock down, or punting the ball in a game on 4 and 1 with a record of 1-6, or calling a running play up the middle on 1st and 2nd down that only gain 2 yards each. i mean getting his players is one thing, but once those players are in place, is that gonna stop him from being a soft head coach that likes to sit on small leads???ask yourself petrino huggers, is this what you really want as the coach of our beloved falcons??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i hear all the time you huggers sayin all petrino needs is players to fit his scheme, ok after he gets those so called players then what....is that gonna stop him from being so conservative in games when we up by a fieldgoal with a sizeable amount of minutes left in the game and he chooses to run the ball to run the clock down, or punting the ball in a game on 4 and 1 with a record of 1-6, or calling a running play up the middle on 1st and 2nd down that only gain 2 yards each. i mean getting his players is one thing, but once those players are in place, is that gonna stop him from being a soft head coach that likes to sit on small leads???ask yourself petrino huggers, is this what you really want as the coach of our beloved falcons??

i think the idea is that with the right type of players those runs up the middle would go for 4-5 yards and would set 2nd and 5 or 3rd and 3 very nicely....

lets not complain about bs when we just got a win. moving forward theres obviously changes that need to be made but we cant do anything about them now.

what would the madden gm do???????

throw deep on every down??........probably!!!

you can't be aggressive with an offense unable to put the ball in the end zone. just wait...

just wait?????hahahahahahaha. wait for what, **** to freeze over??i mean honestly, what is gonna stop petrino from being so conservative??i was listening to the game yesterday, and it was a 4 and 1 and petrino challenged the spot of the ball and lost the challenge. i thought it was a setup for him to be trying to come up with a 4 and 1 play to get the first down, but he punted the ball. with a 1-6 team, why punt on something like that when u got the highest paid fullback in the league in the backfield. let him make his money by doing his job which is to pick up those short yards.

as opposed to trying to throw deep with a quarterback that has poor protection and a weak arm?

you know, the only play i disagreed with was the qb sneak. other than that, i have no real problem with the playcalling. when you can't go deep for a variety of reasons and are nursing a slight lead, you want to run out the clock. if we had any blocking up front at all (which is a legacy of the mora regime), those running plays would have been more effective. would i rather have gone for more deep passes? of course, but i understand why we couldn't. if leftwich had been in the game, we very likely would have.

good old terrence moore cited the play where joey threw at the receiver's feet on third down as an example of poor play-calling. hey, terrence! the play worked! it was the quarterback who missed the throw. had joey not gotten scared (because he was under pressure due to our porous offensive line), that would have been an easy first down (just like had it not been for haynesworth's superhuman effort, the toss to dunn would have worked, too; he had a wall of blockers and would have waltzed into the end zone).

i think that this game, more than ever, proves that we just don't have the right people. if you're not willing to give petrino a chance to build the team around what he wants to do (rather than trying to make do with the clearly inferior team that we built under mora), that's fine. just quit bellyaching about it because it doesn't accomplish anything.

by the way, i really don't think it's unreasonable to give petrino more than half a season with players who don't fit his scheme to show whether he can get it done. we've seen evidence that his offense can work very well when the protection is even average and the quarterback has even a little time. i'm confident that, once he's got a few more players that can do what he wants to do, he'll do just fine. freaking out over a poor first half under the circumstances we've had to face this season is silly, though.

direwolf

would you rather have mora back on the side lines playing grab-###### with all his "buddies", sniffing smelling salts, and having fun while the team is getting the crap kicked out of it? no thanks, i'll just wait til next season when the mv stuff has finally blown over a little before i pass judgement on the new coach.

just wait?????hahahahahahaha. wait for what, **** to freeze over??i mean honestly, what is gonna stop petrino from being so conservative??i was listening to the game yesterday, and it was a 4 and 1 and petrino challenged the spot of the ball and lost the challenge. i thought it was a setup for him to be trying to come up with a 4 and 1 play to get the first down, but he punted the ball. with a 1-6 team, why punt on something like that when u got the highest paid fullback in the league in the backfield. let him make his money by doing his job which is to pick up those short yards.

well, since that play was around our 35 yard line, why take a chance on giving the niners a short field? you'll note that, when we were further up the field, petrino did go for it on fourth down twice! you're attacking petrino for doing what any coach would have done.

direwolf

well, since that play was around our 35 yard line, why take a chance on giving the niners a short field? you'll note that, when we were further up the field, petrino did go for it on fourth down twice! you're attacking petrino for doing what any coach would have done.

direwolf

there comes a time in a head coaches life where he has to drop his nuts and go for it, and with a 1-6 team, why not???mughelli is in the backfield for a reason, not just to block. let the man earn his money. if he cant pick up one yard, that says alot about the offensive line..

there comes a time in a head coaches life where he has to drop his nuts and go for it, and with a 1-6 team, why not???mughelli is in the backfield for a reason, not just to block. let the man earn his money. if he cant pick up one yard, that says alot about the offensive line..

and if the falcons did not make the 4th down? you all would be crying about how bad a coach he was for taking such a risky and stupid shot.

believe me, i am no petrino fan, but that was the right call.

would you rather have mora back on the side lines playing grab-###### with all his "buddies", sniffing smelling salts, and having fun while the team is getting the crap kicked out of it? no thanks, i'll just wait til next season when the mv stuff has finally blown over a little before i pass judgement on the new coach.

whats wrong with smelling salts???its not illegal in the nfl so why is that even a concern..peyton manning did it when he got drilled last week, so why arent you bashing him..

if you can't qb sneak for a half a yard, the ol is getting overpowered!! mcclure and forney didn't push there man an inch.................. mad.gif

i think the perfect answer to this is our offensive line cannot get push to save their lives and joey has a noodle for an arm.

remember the 4th and 10 inches? qb sneak? stuffed. that was why we don't go for it on 4th, or even run it on 3rd and one, because we get no push.

whats wrong with smelling salts???its not illegal in the nfl so why is that even a concern..peyton manning did it when he got drilled last week, so why arent you bashing him..

cause i don't remember mora getting "drilled" before he used the "salts" dry.gif . do you? unless, of course, he was getting "drilled" in the keester by his "pals" before the game. now, that is very possible.

as opposed to trying to throw deep with a quarterback that has poor protection and a weak arm?

you know, the only play i disagreed with was the qb sneak. other than that, i have no real problem with the playcalling. when you can't go deep for a variety of reasons and are nursing a slight lead, you want to run out the clock. if we had any blocking up front at all (which is a legacy of the mora regime), those running plays would have been more effective. would i rather have gone for more deep passes? of course, but i understand why we couldn't. if leftwich had been in the game, we very likely would have.

good old terrence moore cited the play where joey threw at the receiver's feet on third down as an example of poor play-calling. hey, terrence! the play worked! it was the quarterback who missed the throw. had joey not gotten scared (because he was under pressure due to our porous offensive line), that would have been an easy first down (just like had it not been for haynesworth's superhuman effort, the toss to dunn would have worked, too; he had a wall of blockers and would have waltzed into the end zone).

i think that this game, more than ever, proves that we just don't have the right people. if you're not willing to give petrino a chance to build the team around what he wants to do (rather than trying to make do with the clearly inferior team that we built under mora), that's fine. just quit bellyaching about it because it doesn't accomplish anything.

by the way, i really don't think it's unreasonable to give petrino more than half a season with players who don't fit his scheme to show whether he can get it done. we've seen evidence that his offense can work very well when the protection is even average and the quarterback has even a little time. i'm confident that, once he's got a few more players that can do what he wants to do, he'll do just fine. freaking out over a poor first half under the circumstances we've had to face this season is silly, though.

direwolf

see you post things like, "if we had any blocking up front at all (which is a legacy of the mora regime), those running plays would have been more effective." these are the o-line that he chose some are not hold overs from mora so get over the whole more left over thing.

"joey threw at the receiver's feet on third down as an example of poor play-calling. hey, terrence! the play worked! it was the quarterback who missed the throw." this is a play purina called if he doesn't know by now joey can't throw on the run he never will.

"had it not been for haynesworth's superhuman effort, the toss to dunn would have worked, too; he had a wall of blockers and would have waltzed into the end zone)." superhuman is really over hyped but no matter the play didn't work so it was a bad call.

"if you're not willing to give petrino a chance to build the team around what he wants to do (rather than trying to make do with the clearly inferior team that we built under mora), that's fine." this is at least half purina's team since there are 25 of the 53 man roster new. so he has build half of it.

"players who don't fit his scheme to show whether he can get it done." again he has half a football team of players he choose so maybe he just doen't have a clue as to what he is doing how to judge talent.

several times the tv announcers talked about how joey just was not good at 7 step drops yet purina kept calling plays the require 7 step drops. now is tv announcers know it you would like to think our hc would huh.

petrino's offense is limited by harrington. if you watched any of the games you would see this. if you would have watched the saints game you would have seen a little bit of what this offense can do with a suitable field general at the helm. but you obviously haven't watched any of the games so this conversation is going nowhere.

i bought a gun but no bullets so i couldn't shoot it -- then i finally bought bullets but realized i just sold my gun -- one of these days i'll get my #### together and then watch me wink.gif

new coach - new team - everything is new but the gum under seat 13 in section 201 - i reserve judgement until after the end of season 3 if he stays that long - not saying he'll get fired but petrino has always looked out for petrino and it wouldn't be the first contract he jumped ship from to another dry.gif

direwolf

i agree with you on everything but the qb sneak. as little confidence as petrino has in harrington, i don't even think petrino expected harrington to lay gently on the center's back and fall down.

cause i don't remember mora getting "drilled" before he used the "salts" dry.gif . do you? unless, of course, he was getting "drilled" in the keester by his "pals" before the game. now, that is very possible.

but still, whats wrong with smellin the salt to get krunk up??just cauze you dont see belicheat or dungy using it doesnt mean every coach has to be like that..every coach is different..i wouldnt a coach exactly like them.

but still, whats wrong with smellin the salt to get krunk up??just cauze you dont see belicheat or dungy using it doesnt mean every coach has to be like that..every coach is different..i wouldnt a coach exactly like them.

yes, those coaches are different!

they don't breed a culture of quitting.

direwolf

don't blame the o-line for that play! there was pressure but still, every other starting qb in the nfl would make that throw, its just our luck joey didnt. i hope leftwich is back next week (its a sad state of affairs when im praying for byron leftwich)!

what's wrong with "dunn up the middle?"

it has been a staple of the falcons offense for years.

reeves ran it. mora ran it. and now petrino runs it.

why did we fire reeves again?

there are several reasons but wasn't one this one of them? wayyy too much "dunn up the middle" plays?

didn't the nfl pass him by or something and he was a terrible play caller?

now petrino runs the same thing and he gets a pass?

nice.