blackout

rcwalters

so, if a team isn't good enough to entice fans to pay big money to watch the team lose, the solution according to the nfl is take the team away from the fans. who gets punished here for the team losing....the fans. great business policy, falcons.

so if i go to the store and buy milk, take it home and find out it's spoiled already, then i go back to the store to return or swap it out, the store would respond by banning me from shopping there for a week. that's pretty much what we have here.

or look at it another way. there's not enough interest in the team to sell it out. so, they take away the only way to drum up some interest...the free tv showing. so what if they win today and nobody sees it? if the falcons are off of tv, i'm off of the falcons. that's just the way many fans will react. season's over, nothing more to see here folks, move along, move along...

seriously...this blackout thing will help in what way? who will it help? yeah sure the nfl is arrogant enough to "think" that the threat of a blackout will cause fans to go buy the tickets in order to avoid the blackout...or because they know they might not get to see the game otherwise. but here's the thing...clearly the blackout policy doesn't work, because the game is blacked out!! nobody cares about doing their part to avoid the blackout...nobody decided to go to the game when they weren't going to anyway, because they figured that was the only way to see it...because they don't want to see it, not for a price that is. the blackout does not increase ticket sales, it does not cause sellouts. it only causes marginal fans to further lose interest in the team since they can't follow the progress like they could otherwise.

the blackout policy is one of the stupidest business policies in the world. luckily for the nfl, oftentimes the product is popular enough that it doesn't come into play. but the few times when it does, is precisely when it shouldn't be put into play. a team that is losing its fanbase needs help keeping them, not more help driving them away.

so, if a team isn't good enough to entice fans to pay big money to watch the team lose, the solution according to the nfl is take the team away from the fans. who gets punished here for the team losing....the fans. great business policy, falcons.

so if i go to the store and buy milk, take it home and find out it's spoiled already, then i go back to the store to return or swap it out, the store would respond by banning me from shopping there for a week. that's pretty much what we have here.

or look at it another way. there's not enough interest in the team to sell it out. so, they take away the only way to drum up some interest...the free tv showing. so what if they win today and nobody sees it? if the falcons are off of tv, i'm off of the falcons. that's just the way many fans will react. season's over, nothing more to see here folks, move along, move along...

seriously...this blackout thing will help in what way? who will it help? yeah sure the nfl is arrogant enough to "think" that the threat of a blackout will cause fans to go buy the tickets in order to avoid the blackout...or because they know they might not get to see the game otherwise. but here's the thing...clearly the blackout policy doesn't work, because the game is blacked out!! nobody cares about doing their part to avoid the blackout...nobody decided to go to the game when they weren't going to anyway, because they figured that was the only way to see it...because they don't want to see it, not for a price that is. the blackout does not increase ticket sales, it does not cause sellouts. it only causes marginal fans to further lose interest in the team since they can't follow the progress like they could otherwise.

the blackout policy is one of the stupidest business policies in the world. luckily for the nfl, oftentimes the product is popular enough that it doesn't come into play. but the few times when it does, is precisely when it shouldn't be put into play. a team that is losing its fanbase needs help keeping them, not more help driving them away.

then write a letter to your congressman and have the anti-trust law changed so that blackouts won't be legal

all i can say about the blackout is this in comparison. the reason i stopped keeping up and watching the atlanta hawks is because they stopped showing them on tnt and tbs and other channels. they used to show them all the time and i could keep up with them via tv, so i would go to the games because i knew the players names and what was going on with the team, but they got to where they wouldn't even show them when the were playing in l.a. against the lakers and other away games so i stopped watching them. sounds like the braves are going that route because i think i heard tbs will not be showing them regurally anymore.

seems the falcons are taking this same course of action with the blackout. i guess it's time to stop supporting them like i did the hawks. and soon the braves "if you can't watch them play via tv and keep up with what's going on there is no reason to watch them whatsoever". yeah i've been to two games this year at the dome but i can't always go to the dome whenever there is a blackout.

thing with the hawks is that we had a free nba package preview for two weeks last year and they were playing a team out west and it was blacked out on the nba package free preview "which made me think, why would i ever pay for something like that".

blackouts are nothing more than the beginning of the end.

i would like to ask the moderators of this site to please get with the nfl and the atlanta falcons and setup something like a subscription to be able to watch the games here on this website blackout or not. i would pay the regular ticket price at the dome to be able to watch the game here. i'm not talking about anything illegal or nothing like that, it would be like me attending the game only i would be watching it here on my computer off of this site. i mean you could pay a season ticket price and watch every game, even bump it up a little to cover the cost of the broadcast over the internet. i wish the moderators would make that happen. and don't get me wrong mods i'm not knocking you in anyway so please don't ban me, i know you have nothing to do with the blackouts. i am simpley telling you my idea about something i think would be great not only for this site but every site in the nfl. you could even bump up the price of a regular admission ticket to cover your cost and the rest could go to the falcons and nfl that way there would be no lose of money to anyone. in fact the amount of money it would generate for the nfl and falcons and this website would be a lot more than it is now.

i want to make this very very clear : administrators or mods : i know you are not responsible for the blackout, i am just asking if this site can do something now to prevent us falcons fans who can't attend the games in the future from being able to them again.

i may not be able to go to the dome in the colst vs. falcons game nov. 22nd, i would love to have this option to watch the falcons online.

just an idea.....

didn't the legislature in washington change the law out there a few years ago?? i know they went to court over it.

you are correct. if congress had not gotten involved no home game would be televised within the blackout radius sold out or not ! the nfl really ######s on it's fans.

i don't know if it's worse that i can't watch the falcons or that i'm forced to watch the chiefs and the packers....

seriously, if they're gonna black us out at least give us a choice of games to watch.

well at least we have the patriots and colts showing later, i hope! i live about 2000 miles away so who knows maybe it want be blacked out.

the blackout policy is one of the dumbest things on earth. if you want to get the fans interested or to keep them interested, the most ******** thing you can do is to "ban" the fans from seeing the game. the whole concept is flat $ss backwards and the only thing you accomplish is ticking the fans off and make them even less interested in the team.

then write a letter to your congressman and have the anti-trust law changed so that blackouts won't be legal

well if you want to get legal "the game was advertised to be shown on fox in this and many other viewing area's","it's called false advertisement and it is illegal", but then again show me somebody that will pursue such a matter? only people technically who would have a right to do so would be the sponsors and that's who should be blaimed for the falcons not being shown as scheduled, although i'm sure there is some fine print in their contracts with the tv channels and the falcons and nfl that states they may blackout the game at will......

it's one of those catch 22's, i mean i pay for cable and i watched a one hour show the other day and timed the amount of commercials and it ended up 25 minutes of commercials and 35 minutes of television programming on a pay only cable channel. yeah i know the cable companies and tv stations supplement their incomes by using commercials "but they don't tell you that upfront" and they advertise otherwise.

it's like paying for hbo and showtime : if i wanted to watch a mini-series i would watch regular tv it's about to the uncut point at this point in time anyway. they should'nt be allowed to called themselves movie channels to begin with if they are going to show mini-series and crap like that because to begin with i didn't subscribe to a mini-series channel i subscribed to what was advertised as a movie channel and a channel i might add that is still advertising itself as such. yeah i can cancell at anytime but if i do the way these stupid cable company packages are my bill will go up and i will have less channels. it's a monopoly if you ask me.

i feel the same way. as much as i like football, i hate the nfl and its authoritarian policies.

it's the real game known as "monopoly" and arthur blank seems to be the guy wearing the top hat that you see on the cover of the board game in this case......

maybe he'll give mv a get outa jail free card and we can watch the falcons again when we can't go to the games! laugh.gif don't count on it though......

didn't the legislature in washington change the law out there a few years ago?? i know they went to court over it.

there has been no change to the law though hearings were heard in congress about it - nothing was done to change the existing laws -- so as of now the blackout policy still stands and is still legal

well if you want to get legal "the game was advertised to be shown on fox in this and many other viewing area's","it's called false advertisement and it is illegal", but then again show me somebody that will pursue such a matter? only people technically who would have a right to do so would be the sponsors and that's who should be blaimed for the falcons not being shown as scheduled, although i'm sure there is some fine print in their contracts with the tv channels and the falcons and nfl that states they may blackout the game at will......

it's one of those catch 22's, i mean i pay for cable and i watched a one hour show the other day and timed the amount of commercials and it ended up 25 minutes of commercials and 35 minutes of television programming on a pay only cable channel. yeah i know the cable companies and tv stations supplement their incomes by using commercials "but they don't tell you that upfront" and they advertise otherwise.

it's like paying for hbo and showtime : if i wanted to watch a mini-series i would watch regular tv it's about to the uncut point at this point in time anyway. they should'nt be allowed to called themselves movie channels to begin with if they are going to show mini-series and crap like that because to begin with i didn't subscribe to a mini-series channel i subscribed to what was advertised as a movie channel and a channel i might add that is still advertising itself as such. yeah i can cancell at anytime but if i do the way these stupid cable company packages are my bill will go up and i will have less channels. it's a monopoly if you ask me.

if you go check station policies i bet you that there is a notation about blackout games - stations cannot go against a federal law no matter how much the common fan wants them to

is it a carryover from when ticket sales were a bigger % of their revenue?

cuz it just seems illogical to take a hit on all the tv ad revenue just to *try* to avoid the hit on the unsold tickets. seems dumb.

or is their revenue unaffected by the blackout due to revenue-sharing?

i agree with how stupid the blackout rule is but this is really old news. people have been arguing the point for as long as i can remember and i've been a falcons fan for 39 years. i guess we all got spoiled there for awhile when every home game was on tv. i remember when the falcons hardly ever had a home game televised. i hope things get turned around and we aren't heading into those dark days again.

what i don't understand is - if, at the start of the game, the game is not sold out and it is obvious that nobody will come to purchase those tickets during the game, why still black the game out and punish those who for whatever reason are not able to attend. as a matter of economics - if your product is not selling well, then offer a promotion on it that would help it sell. a televised game in this case would be a promotion, not the other way around. just plain stupid.

maybe its just because i didn't grow up in a big city with pro teams, but what the **** could possibly be better than going to an nfl game on sunday?? not selling out every home game is inexcusable.

ok, listen, not having to travel 500 miles on a sunday round trip to watch the game and be back to work after the game early not getting sleep before work because of a blackout is inexcusable. and anyone who wants to complain about that kinda situation has the right and should keep complaining. this is the first blackout since arthur blank took over the team ever. so it makes one to wonder if it wasn't arthur blanks call...... i doubt it. but he should have some kinda pull with the nfl if it was their call to have a blackout, he coulda stopped it if he wanted to being an owner legally because anything that would cause harm to his business which is the falcons i'm sure he has a say in what is shown and not shown.