center mcclure's five keys to victory vs. 49ers

july425

center mcclure's five keys to victory vs. 49ers

by steve wyche

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 11/04/07

falcons center todd mcclure has been the most consistent offensive lineman this season. he gives us his five keys for atlanta's game today.

score touchdowns in the red zone

it's been haunting us all year. we've been getting field-goal opportunities. we need to get touchdowns. it comes down to execution. you watch it and it might just be one guy breaking down. it might be guys running wide open on a pass but the quarterback doesn't have time to get it out. it might be that we block it well and the running back doesn't hit it right. any number of things. we've got to concentrate more and execute when we get down there.

pick up all their exotic looks on third down

they'll try and throw some stuff at you to confuse you. we've been working hard at that this week. as long as we're all on the same page with the back in our protection, we should be able to make some big plays.

make it count

special teams, we need some good field position and get some points.

get the running game going

if we can get it going early, which i think we'll be able to this week, that will help us out with our passing game.

sack and pressure the quarterback

defensively, those guys need to get to the quarterback. we need to try and hit him 12 times to get pressure on him and make him feel pressure. john abraham, if he's on his a game, he'll provide at least half of those hits.

if john and al did this game the keys to victory would be something like this

john madden: what the falcons need to do to win is to outscore the other team. that is is the key to victory. generally if you outscore the other team you win.

al micheals:sure john sure. under his breath four decades of football knowledge and thats all you have. i cant stand this ######. why i am his sidekick? i'm the play by play guy

madden : what?

al micheals: o ah....... nothing

madden: you know who has alot of heart?

al micheals: no john who?

madden: brett farve. brett farve has alot of heart.

micheals: what the **** are you talking about tht hs nothing to do with this game

an oblivious madden: joey harrington reminds me alot of brett farve.

al micheals: what are you kidding me? romo reminds you of farve, shuab reminds you of farve, **** john at the hotel this morning you said your waffels reminded you of farve.

madden: i love love fish tacos, ed do you like fish tacos?

al micheals: its al you senile ######

john madden: yeah yeah whatever ed.

1 - the rt needs to block somebody

2 - the rg needs to block somebody

3 - the c needs to block somebody

4 - the lg needs to block somebody

5 - the lt needs to block somebody

if those 5 things happen consistently, the offense will move the ball past the opponents 40, we'll get more scoring opportunities that aren't 40+ fgs, which mean the defense won't be as tired and won't have given up by the 4th quarter.

seems simple enough, i mean these guys are making 6 figures to do this.

1 - the rt needs to block somebody

2 - the rg needs to block somebody

3 - the c needs to block somebody

4 - the lg needs to block somebody

5 - the lt needs to block somebody

if those 5 things happen consistently, the offense will move the ball past the opponents 40, we'll get more scoring opportunities that aren't 40+ fgs, which mean the defense won't be as tired and won't have given up by the 4th quarter.

seems simple enough, i mean these guys are making 6 figures to do this.

according to football outsiders, we rank last in the nfl in runs stuffed (aka, when the running back gets stopped behind the line of scrimmage). almost one out of every three of our run plays this season have been stopped for a loss or for no gain. also, we rank 28th in the league in sacks.

if you are looking for a reason why we are 1-6 right now, i think that's a pretty good place to start...

another fact:

we are the worst team in gaining yards up the middle on runs (an aweful 2.9 yards per attempt). in fact, we are more than half a yard below the second place team (kc - 3.46). we rank 27th in runs off right tackle, and 25th in runs to the left end. we have a decent average off left tackle with a 7th ranking, as well as 8th ranking in runs off right end. this would be okay except for the fact that 55% of our runs go up the middle.

john madden: what the falcons need to do to win is to outscore the other team. that is is the key to victory. generally if you outscore the other team you win.

al micheals:sure john sure. under his breath four decades of football knowledge and that all you have. i cant stand this ######. why i am his sidekick? i'm the play by play guy

micheals: what the **** are you talking about tht hs nothing to do with this game

al micheals: what are you kidding me? romo reminds you of farve, shuab reminds you of farve, **** john at the hotel this morning you said your waffels reminded you of farve.

maddens eyebrows look like 2 gerbils lodged to his forehead.

al micheals:sure john sure. under his breath four decades of football knowledge and thats all you have. i cant stand this ######. why i am his sidekick? i'm the play by play guy

laugh.giflaugh.gif this is classic!