grady still doesn't get it

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...333/1002/sports

jacksonville's defensive scheme is certainly a better fit for the beefy defensive tackle. in atlanta's two-gap scheme, his responsibility was to tie up a pair of offensive linemen to free up the linebackers to make the play.

"they didn't want me to make plays." he said. "(they wanted me to) help the linebackers. i helped them to a certain extent, but if i felt like i could get a key on a guy and if i could take him i'm going to take that shot."

he'll get more of a chance to do that in jacksonville, which uses a one-gap scheme defense.

grady doesn't even have enough sense to keep his mouth closed at this point. every time he speaks, he backs up the falcons' stated reason for firing him. he's not making himself look better by continually saying "i was doing my own thing instead of what the coaches wanted me to do."

is his ego really that big that he thinks people will admire him for not playing his part, or he thinks people will actually believe he knows more than a defensive coordinator with 13 years of nfl experience?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounded like he was trying to be candid. you can't win, if you speak the truth, people say you should've kept your mouth shut, if you keep quiet, people make incorrect assumptions because they don't know the facts.

i think people wanted to hear from him when we didn't know why he was cut. once we found out he was cut because he wasn't maintaining his gap and not following his assignment, we were glad he was cut. now that he comes out and confirms exactly what the coaches said, he should've just kept his mouth shut, because he was fired for not doing his job. if you're not doing your job and you get fired for it, you have no right to complain.

i think people wanted to hear from him when we didn't know why he was cut. once we found out he was cut because he wasn't maintaining his gap and not following his assignment, we were glad he was cut. now that he comes out and confirms exactly what the coaches said, he should've just kept his mouth shut, because he was fired for not doing his job. if you're not doing your job and you get fired for it, you have no right to complain.

yep....we now know he was fired for wanting to make tackles in the backfield instead of allowing the rb's to get past him and getting tackled after a 5 yard gain. the new coaches tried to tell him that tackles are to be made by line backers, not linemen, but he just wouldn't listen.

i think grady just likes to make big plays. he led the league in tackles for a loss last season, and think that's the kind of thing that makes him want to play. he's not on the field every down so when he does come in he wants to make an impact. he wants to get sacks and to make plays in the backfield. i still don't think he should have been cut. just put on the bench until there's a down and distance that makes sense for him to come in and try to get penetration like that. for all other downs he should be on the bench

yep....we now know he was fired for wanting to make tackles in the backfield instead of allowing the rb's to get past him and getting tackled after a 5 yard gain. the new coaches tried to tell him that tackles are to be made by line backers, not linemen, but he just wouldn't listen.

yep, you hit the nail on the head, it's because he wanted to make tackles in the backfield. the falcons thus far have had 433 total plays on defense. 208 of those plays the opposing team rushed the ball. grady had a grand total of 20 tackles out of the 208 rushing plays. so i guess it's ok for him to ignore the scheme and put himself out of position on the other 188 plays team's have run the ball because of the 20 times he's actually made a play. rolleyes.gif

the coaches tried to explain to him that with this scheme, we have to maintain gap control, otherwise you have ol plowing through your lbers risking a big gain on a rushing down. we all know grady can make a play and penetrate the backfield, the problem is the 90% of the time he doesn't make that play. this is a team sport, and he's playing selfishly, so he's gone.

i think he'll do very well in jacksonville, it's the scheme that he wants to play in, his assignment is to penetrate into the backfield and make plays. that wasn't what he was supposed to do here.

almost every defense uses the same scheme. look at the great defenses like the steelers. the job of the dl is to eat up blockers and allow the lbs to make plays. i don't see them only tackling rbs "5 yards downfield". rolleyes.gif

yep, you hit the nail on the head, it's because he wanted to make tackles in the backfield. the falcons thus far have had 433 total plays on defense. 208 of those plays the opposing team rushed the ball. grady had a grand total of 20 tackles out of the 208 rushing plays. so i guess it's ok for him to ignore the scheme and put himself out of position on the other 188 plays team's have run the ball because of the 20 times he's actually made a play. rolleyes.gif

so you are saying that those 188 plays were all rushes up the middle? laugh.gif

20 tackles has him right in line with albert haynesworth.

to offer another point of view, hypothetically, if everyone on here had a chance to be our nfl nose tackle and you played our scheme, what would you do when its contract year and the falcons don't want you anymore. keep in mind, by playing the scheme, over three years, you only have 5 sacs and 30 tackles, and no other teams are calling for a workout. i don't agree with grady's actions, but i understand.

great football conversation. i am glad people who post here understand what zimmer is trying to do. i find schemes very interesting. and exactly like someone before me said. the fact he was cut does not reflect on his skill at what he does, he just doesnt do what we need for him to do. hopefully trey does and plays solid for us. then we could focus elsewhere fa and draft-wise.

to offer another point of view, hypothetically, if everyone on here had a chance to be our nfl nose tackle and you played our scheme, what would you do when its contract year and the falcons don't want you anymore. keep in mind, by playing the scheme, over three years, you only have 5 sacs and 30 tackles, and no other teams are calling for a workout. i don't agree with grady's actions, but i understand.

actually, i still don't understand it. he's a nt. his job is to occupy two tacklers, not pile up stats. any coach in the nfl looking for a nt knows that and will sign the player that does his job, not puts up stats.

brooking isn't the type of lb that was shooting the gaps to make a tackle anyway. now before you flame me on brooking, he is great at making stops. he causes no fear in linemen or fullbacks. he plays to his weaknesses by making sure that he make the plays. even if it is downfield. i don't see him shooting the gap and causing a disruption.

"i guess any team looking to bring in a fa who didn't actually look at game tape and figure out what people's assignments were supposed to be deserves what they get."

yea but if in another team's scheme, they have their nt rushing the passer more than ours, they won't know what he's capable of if he's holding up linemen. and yes the nt rushes the passer in other schemes, thats what grady's been doing before zimmer while he was with us, i don't know what the **** he was doin before that...lol