the grady jackson dismissal has opened a lot of eyes

you can be rock solid in your opinion, then a event happens that challenges your assumptions and makes you reevaluate everything your opinion is based upon. the grady jackson dismissal is one of those, or more specificly, the interview jackson gave on the radio concerning his dismissal.

i've talked to several people this weekend that were ready to dump petrino, but now they aren't so sure. why? jackson's statement on the radio that he was playing the way he thought was right instead of doing what the coaches wanted him to do. even the most casual football fan knows the players have to do what the coaches ask them if the system is going to work. that when players go off doing their own thing instead of playing as a team the play breaks down.

it's one thing for players to complain that the coach's system doesn't work, and they are trying to trust them. it's another thing to complain the coach's system doesn't work, and say you aren't following the coaches instructions and instead doing your own thing.

now i'm starting to hear things like "maybe there's more to hall's complaints than just problems with petrino" (in private and on the radio, as mort mentioned it friday). people suddenly remember that hall was angry about the mora firing, angry about how much he was getting (or not getting) paid, and angry that "the team kicked vick while he was down". that maybe hall's anger in general is what is behind his outbursts, not the new coaches.

even some questions about crumpler. from "a guy like crump wouldn't say anything unless there was a real problem" to "maybe there was some other reason that crump blew up, like worrying that he was being phased out for a younger player."

if there is a turnaround in how people feel about petrino, where they go from hating him to giving him a chance, you'll be able to trace it back to this one moment. when a player admitted he wasn't doing what the coaches were telling him, which opened people's eyes and caused them to step back and reevaluate all of the criticism of petrino.

you can be rock solid in your opinion, then a event happens that challenges your assumptions and makes you reevaluate everything your opinion is based upon. the grady jackson dismissal is one of those, or more specificly, the interview jackson gave on the radio concerning his dismissal.

i've talked to several people this weekend that were ready to dump petrino, but now they aren't so sure. why? jackson's statement on the radio that he was playing the way he thought was right instead of doing what the coaches wanted him to do. even the most casual football fan knows the players have to do what the coaches ask them if the system is going to work. that when players go off doing their own thing instead of playing as a team the play breaks down.

it's one thing for players to complain that the coach's system doesn't work, and they are trying to trust them. it's another thing to complain the coach's system doesn't work, and say you aren't following the coaches instructions and instead doing your own thing.

now i'm starting to hear things like "maybe there's more to hall's complaints than just problems with petrino" (in private and on the radio, as mort mentioned it friday). people suddenly remember that hall was angry about the mora firing, angry about how much he was getting (or not getting) paid, and angry that "the team kicked vick while he was down". that maybe hall's anger in general is what is behind his outbursts, not the new coaches.

even some questions about crumpler. from "a guy like crump wouldn't say anything unless there was a real problem" to "maybe there was some other reason that crump blew up, like worrying that he was being phased out for a younger player."

if there is a turnaround in how people feel about petrino, where they go from hating him to giving him a chance, you'll be able to trace it back to this one moment. when a player admitted he wasn't doing what the coaches were telling him, which opened people's eyes and caused them to step back and reevaluate all of the criticism of petrino.

a good example of players doing what they wanted unstead of what the coaches ask was in washington, and lavar arrington. he was a great linebacker, but we wouldnt play in the defences scheme. and now look at him, i dont think hes even playing for an nfl team this year.

and if crumps knee isnt looking like its going to be the same as it was, im sorry i loved crump. but the nfl is a what have you done for me lately league. what has crump done in the last 7 weeks?

good post...

i've gradually become a big fan of petrino even though i never disliked him. the interesting thing is though that i remember in previous years, kerney wouldsay things like "we're not maintaining position" or "if you are a hair off in your gap responsibility, it can lead to bad things" or "we have to play more together".

what i'm beginning to notice is that our players don't seem to take to coaching well. whereas mora simply stood behind them because he was 'their guy" - petrino seems inclined to take action...

grady was guaranteed 1.5 million in base salary this year and we had an entire pre-season to figure out wheather he was doing his job or not.

cutting him in the middle of the season, when the d-line is already thin is just suspect... this guy has started every game except one, so why did it become a huge issue in week 8?

should we cut the other players on the team that aren't getting it done?

the highest paid fullback in the league barely see's the field, is it because he is not doing what the coaches want?

d-hall has publicly critized booby p. by calling him a college coach, why not cut him?

grady was guaranteed 1.5 million in base salary this year and we had an entire pre-season to figure out that wheather he was doing his job or not.

i don't know if jackson was freelancing in preseason or going along with the scheme. do you? i know for sure he had been freelancing recently, because he said he had.

there's a difference between not getting it done, and refusing to do it. cutting a player that's not getting it done, only to replace him with another player that you think probably won't get it done either doesn't make sense. cutting a player that is refusing to get it done does make sense, because he will never get it done. at least his replacement will have a chance of getting it done, because he is trying.

jackson wasn't even trying to do what the coaches asked him. and this fact isn't lost on people. even people who don't know anything about football know that in any team sport, everyone has to be on the same page. you can't have people off doing their own thing, because then the team breaks down.

i don't know if jackson was freelancing in preseason or going along with the scheme. do you? i know for sure he had been freelancing recently, because he said he had.

there's a difference between not getting it done, and refusing to do it. cutting a player that's not getting it done, only to replace him with another player that you think probably won't get it done either doesn't make sense. cutting a player that is refusing to get it done does make sense, because he will never get it done. at least his replacement will have a chance of getting it done, because he is trying.

jackson wasn't even trying to do what the coaches asked him. and this fact isn't lost on people. even people who don't know anything about football know that in any team sport, everyone has to be on the same page. you can't have people off doing their own thing, because then the team breaks down.

the coaches could have easily benched grady.. there was no need to cut him. we didn't need the roaster spot and it wasn't going to save us any money so let him rot on the bench.

grady was guaranteed 1.5 million in base salary this year and we had an entire pre-season to figure out wheather he was doing his job or not.

cutting him in the middle of the season, when the d-line is already thin is just suspect... this guy has started every game except one, so why did it become a huge issue in week 8?

the highest paid fullback in the league barely see's the field, is it because he is not doing what the coaches want?

d-hall has publicly critized booby p. by calling him a college coach, why not cut him?

i'm with ya there.... why not cut d. hall?

send him home petrino!!!

good post...

i've gradually become a big fan of petrino even though i never disliked him. the interesting thing is though that i remember in previous years, kerney wouldsay things like "we're not maintaining position" or "if you are a hair off in your gap responsibility, it can lead to bad things" or "we have to play more together".

what i'm beginning to notice is that our players don't seem to take to coaching well. whereas mora simply stood behind them because he was 'their guy" - petrino seems inclined to take action...

donnatel's defense was a "big play" defense. they played soft in hopes the offense would make a mistake we could take advantage of. you have to wonder if part of that philosophy was to allow the vets to play their instincts instead of playing their assignments in the hopes of coming up with a big play. there's no doubt the team had poor discipline, which we are paying for now.

the coaches could have easily benched grady.. there was no need to cut him. we didn't need the roaster spot and it wasn't going to save us any money so let him rot on the bench.

if you're going to bench him, why not cut him? why let him "rot" on the bench, collect a six figure pay check, and be a disruption in the locker room (and after hearing the 2-live-stupids interview, is there any doubt he would have been?)

why bench someone at the end of their career? i am sure if you gave grady the choice between being cut and being benched, he would choose being cut.... its not like this guy was a model player. he was lazy during practice and sometimes during the game. he didn't sound like a cancer in the locker room, but he also admitted to not listening to the coaching staff.

i would like to nominate you as king of this message board.

nice work, great statement.

yeah, bench him and cause more internal turmoil, great idea!

what internal turmoil? most of the players that spoke publicly about the grady situation had no idea of why he was cut.

plus..

i never saw grady in front of a microphone stating that bobby p is just a college coach like d-hall. i never heard him publicly critize the system and accuse the coaching staff of phasing out the veterans like alge.

i'm with ya there.... why not cut d. hall?

send him home petrino!!!

i would love to see hall getting cut. it is one thing to cut someone who is old and doesn't have much value, it is entirely different to cut one of your youngest and best player. the message would be much louder and clearer, but i doubt it will ever happen hence i don't believe the message.

what internal turmoil? most of the players that spoke publicly about the grady situation had no idea of why he was cut.

plus..

i never saw grady in front of a microphone stating that bobby p is just a college coach like d-hall. i never heard him publicly critize the system and accuse the coaching staff of phasing out the veterans like alge.

that's because he was playing, if you bench him he'll start talking a much as dhall and alge.

if you're going to bench him, why not cut him? why let him "rot" on the bench, collect a six figure pay check, and be a disruption in the locker room (and after hearing the 2-live-stupids interview, is there any doubt he would have been?)

based on the comments i heard from players, cutting him was a much bigger disruption than benching him would have been. d-hall basically said the coaching staff should cut him too. several players said they had no idea why he was let go..

based on the comments i heard from players, cutting him was a much bigger disruption than benching him would have been. d-hall basically said the coaching staff should cut him too. several players said they had no idea why he was let go..

how do we know that? for all we know, alge would be complaining more about them "phasing out the vets".

i would love to see hall getting cut. it is one thing to cut someone who is old and doesn't have much value, it is entirely different to cut one of your youngest and best player. the message would be much louder and clearer, but i doubt it will ever happen hence i don't believe the message.

you exactly right..

ovie was brought here to protect vick in the style that vick ran. now we are trying to produce a passing offense and he isnt as included as he would have been in vicks style offense.

ovie was brought here to protect vick in the style that vick ran. now we are trying to produce a passing offense and he isnt as included as he would have been in vicks style offense.

thats why they need to pick the right qb this offseason and go with him, build the team that way. i still think woodsen would fit our system pretty good, strong arm and mobile.

don't get ahead of yourself.. you don't cut a player like hall.. at worst you trade him for a first round pick maybe more.. or you make a star studded deal like the champ deal and sign a proven cb that can start.. you do not in any possible scenario just cut him

a good example of players doing what they wanted unstead of what the coaches ask was in washington, and lavar arrington. he was a great linebacker, but we wouldnt play in the defences scheme. and now look at him, i dont think hes even playing for an nfl team this year

he was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash in june this yr and i think he was forced to retire.

excellent post. well thought out.

in retrospect this starts to make halls recent outburst about gravy seem mutinous. he had to have known that gravy was freelancing yet instead of supporting the coach for sticking to his plan, he backs his pal instead. thus, hall could care less about the team and only about himself.

hall isn't just trying to get traded he's trying to start a team mutiny. you won't win many games with team leaders trying to start a mutiny. get rid of him right now if you can get good value for him.

petrino needs players who are willing to stick to the plan. it'll be interesting to see who's left after this season.

still gonna be feeling the love for petrino when no fa's want to sign??

after all the vets singing out about him, any decent free agents will avoid atlanta like the plague...

cut hall laugh.giflaugh.gif

if you dont like hall and his 'celebrations' of int's and td's, maybe you should watch beach volleyball instead... rolleyes.gif