our cold reality

egoprime

right now, the falcons are facing what might be the worst season in this franchise's history, and that's saying something. because no falcons team has been so talented, yet unperformed so badly. after last springs draft, the perception that this team was missing just a couple pieces was justified by the talent on this team and its past performance. now, this team looks like a near total wreck. while vick being gone surely hurts, there is no reason or excuse for the shoddy performances on the field particularly the o line. while you can blame the players, ultimately its the job of the coaches to get the players ready to play...and in that respect the falcons coaches have to be held accountable. overall this coaching staff has been sadly lacking. too many ex-college coaches, who in my opinion don't know what they are doing.

you know, with most new nfl coaches, the players fall all over each other trying to prove themselves to the new staff. i believe that is part of the reason mora was successful in his first season, sean payton as well. our team, seems like they simply do not care, at all, for our new coaching staff, even to the extent of underperforming for them. is that the players or the coaches' fault?

there will be a big turnover in players in the next 16 months, the falcons will lose many players who can play. we will see them go to other teams and go to the playoffs, even the super bowl, and we will wonder...why did we let them go?

then the coaches will go thru one more sad, sorry season not much better than this one, if its better at all...then those coaches will be gone, with a new batch of coaches coming in and, of course....needing totally different players than this staff here. the cycle will continue....

so the falcons will draft high for the forseeable future, the simple reason being that our team will be in transition over and over again. of course these players coming in will be rookies, so you cant depend on them for a couple seasons, right?

free agents will demand higher pay to come play for a losing team, and then they might or might not earn their money. looking at the past history of the falcons in free agency, i am not real encouraged. and remember veterans on the falcons right now are not petrino's biggest fans, so what veteran fa will want to come here to be coached by our current coaches?

to go from where we were, with high hopes of our team being in the elite of the nfl in the near future, to this....potential big time player turnover, coaches the fans and players have no faith in, and a team making more news off the field than on it...

why did the falcons fire jim mora, again...? long time fans remember the last winning coach the falcons had, he was fired in 1982. it only took 22 years to find another coach with a winning record with the falcons...and we just saw him get fired.

whats going on? how does this franchise right itself?

why did the falcons fire jim mora, again...?

uhhhhh...............

1) because he was an idiot?

2) because he coddled the players?

3) because the players walked all over him?

4) because he didn't have a clue?

5) all of the above??

so lets get this straight...the man led a talent deficient team to the nfc championship in his first season as a head coach. dan reeves couldnt even do that with the team mora inherited from him, and reeves is a hof coach. overall mora has a winning record in the nfl with the atlanta falcons, one of only two men in the history of our team to have this distinction....and you dont think he was a good coach?

thinking like that is exactly why this franchise has been in the toilet for the 22 years it took this team to find another coach who can win with this franchise. and thinking like that is why this team will likely take another 22 years to find another coach who can win here.

i read something in these forums once about consistency...well this team has never had it. while i do agree we needed to get rid of greg knapp, we surely did not need to fire the entire staff, we had some really good coaches here during mora's tenure, the best we have ever had. want proof? all you have to do is look at what this staff is doing with largely the same group of players. right now, the falcons are not so much to look at, are they?

the play of this team, right now, is living proof that mora was not the bad coach many here tried to make him out to be. mora took chances, and lots of times those gambles worked...because unlike our current staff mora played to wiin.

the ship began to sink the day that dan reeves was told that he was not coming back in aurther blanks office and decided to bail early not completing the last 3 games of the season, dan had assembled the best coaching staff in falcon history that inculded wade phillips and rich brooks among other noteables, wade is leading the dallas cowboys to wins today and lead the san diego chargers defense to their best performance ever last season, brooks has rebuilt the kentucky wildcats into a force in the sec east, something nobody thought could happen. but when dan left the entire franchise began to fall apart starting around the edges and rapidly imploding all the way to the center resulting in the turmoil and chaos we see today. just look at how the record has gotten worse ever season since dan left. coach reeves has built this team and brought it to the edge of being a contender in the nfc for years to come, yes the entire sqaud did hinge too much on vick and when vick returned in 03, the team went 3-1 in the final 4 games. the new coach mora and brought with him profound ######es who did not know how to handle vicks skillsets a

the ship began to sink the day that dan reeves was told that he was not coming back in aurther blanks office and decided to bail early not completing the last 3 games of the season, dan had assembled the best coaching staff in falcon history that inculded wade phillips and rich brooks among other noteables, wade is leading the dallas cowboys to wins today and lead the san diego chargers defense to their best performance ever last season, brooks has rebuilt the kentucky wildcats into a force in the sec east, something nobody thought could happen. but when dan left the entire franchise began to fall apart starting around the edges and rapidly imploding all the way to the center resulting in the turmoil and chaos we see today. just look at how the record has gotten worse ever season since dan left. coach reeves has built this team and brought it to the edge of being a contender in the nfc for years to come, yes the entire sqaud did hinge too much on vick and when vick returned in 03, the team went 3-1 in the final 4 games. the new coach mora and brought with him profound ######es who did not know how to handle vicks skillsets and did not know how to manage players. cupple this with all the horrible offseason moves, and trades and i dont see the ship being right again for at least 3 seaons and some tough decisions are going to have to be made before even that becomes a possiblity. ..................

i say to begin, the falcons need to go ahead and dump any under preforming vet that can save cap space and gather unto themselves as many draft picks as possible. the grady cut was just the beginning, now the team needs to let joe horn walk and after that warrick dunn and so on, the falcons cannot rebuild via free agents..........their attempts at doing this has been horrible failures. we must remember peerless price and ed hartwell and never forget the lesson they taught. they can only rebuild through the draft.

it will take years and even with years i dont think this team can ever be on the level of new england or indianapolis are on right now, the foundation of ownership and front office is lacking and the history is too much to overcome.................

most of us will leave this earth and never see the falcons winning a superbowl.......sad but so very true..............................

the ship began to sink the day that dan reeves was told that he was not coming back in aurther blanks office and decided to bail early not completing the last 3 games of the season, dan had assembled the best coaching staff in falcon history that inculded wade phillips and rich brooks among other noteables, wade is leading the dallas cowboys to wins today and lead the san diego chargers defense to their best performance ever last season, brooks has rebuilt the kentucky wildcats into a force in the sec east, something nobody thought could happen. but when dan left the entire franchise began to fall apart starting around the edges and rapidly imploding all the way to the center resulting in the turmoil and chaos we see today. just look at how the record has gotten worse ever season since dan left. coach reeves has built this team and brought it to the edge of being a contender in the nfc for years to come, yes the entire sqaud did hinge too much on vick and when vick returned in 03, the team went 3-1 in the final 4 games. the new coach mora and brought with him profound ######es who did not know how to handle vicks skillsets and did not know how to manage players. cupple this with all the horrible offseason moves, and trades and i dont see the ship being right again for at least 3 seaons and some tough decisions are going to have to be made before even that becomes a possiblity. ..................

i say to begin, the falcons need to go ahead and dump any under preforming vet that can save cap space and gather unto themselves as many draft picks as possible. the grady cut was just the beginning, now the team needs to let joe horn walk and after that warrick dunn and so on, the falcons cannot rebuild via free agents..........their attempts at doing this has been horrible failures. we must remember peerless price and ed hartwell and never forget the lesson they taught. they can only rebuild through the draft.

it will take years and even with years i dont think this team can ever be on the level of new england or indianapolis are on right now, the foundation of ownership and front office is lacking and the history is too much to overcome.................

most of us will leave this earth and never see the falcons winning a superbowl.......sad but so very true..............................

i'm not sure i agree with you concerning dan reeves, not many nfl coaches get to build a team with players of thier choice for six off seasons....then watch that same team mail it in the way the falcons did in 2003. sure vick was hurt, but reeves was still here, wasnt he? there was no excuse whatsoever for the shoddy play of the team that season. reeves should have known how to get his team ready to play...and he could not do a thing with his hand picked bunch until vick came back.

wade philips went 3-1 with those same players. jim mora went 11-5 and 1-1 in the playoffs with many of those same guys. would reeves have won with them? hard to say....

but the fact remains, when vick went down the team quit on reeves. that, to me, was a big indicator that reeves needed to go.

we are facing total ownage!!! thank god i'm a pats fan!

remember, the pats weren't anything special until they 'discovered' tom brady, and brady became a starter only when bledsole went down with an injury.

to me the pats are living proof...you do need that special guy under center to have a realistic chance to win it all in the nfl. we had one...and now we dont, and look at the falcons, today. not much to look at, are they...?

remember, the pats weren't anything special until they 'discovered' tom brady, and brady became a starter only when bledsole went down with an injury.

to me the pats are living proof...you do need that special guy under center to have a realistic chance to win it all in the nfl. we had one...and now we dont, and look at the falcons, today. not much to look at, are they...?

who?

there will be a big turnover in players in the next 16 months, the falcons will lose many players who can play. we will see them go to other teams and go to the playoffs, even the super bowl, and we will wonder...why did we let them go?

who!!! please tell me who...

are you kidding?

there are some posters who complained that letting price go was a big mistake! laugh.gif

and i don't doubt that some people who we might let go will find success.

it all has to do with being in the right place at the right time, and in the right scheme.

look at randy moss--he didn't exactly tear it up with the raiders, but look at him now.

right now, the falcons are facing what might be the worst season in this franchise's history, and that's saying something. because no falcons team has been so talented, yet unperformed so badly. after last springs draft, the perception that this team was missing just a couple pieces was justified by the talent on this team and its past performance. now, this team looks like a near total wreck. while vick being gone surely hurts, there is no reason or excuse for the shoddy performances on the field particularly the o line. while you can blame the players, ultimately its the job of the coaches to get the players ready to play...and in that respect the falcons coaches have to be held accountable. overall this coaching staff has been sadly lacking. too many ex-college coaches, who in my opinion don't know what they are doing.

anyone who thogugh that this team was a few pieces after this year's draft was living on cloud cuckoo land.

we may have a had a good draft, but anyone knows that it takes at least 2-3years for draft picks to find their feet at this level and start to make a difference. it was clear that we we've had only a small nucleus of players in their prime, and were relying on too many rookies and declining - and in some cases completely weashed up - up vets (gandy, dunn, horn, grady, coleman, brooking, milloy) this year.

even after the draft, we still needed:-

2 or 3 ol

2 dl

1 rb

1 mlb

1 fs

1 cb

1 k

we were a 6-8 win team at best and that is before you factor in the inevitable dfficulties learning new offensive and defensive schemes.

the play of this team, right now, is living proof that mora was not the bad coach many here tried to make him out to be. mora took chances, and lots of times those gambles worked...because unlike our current staff mora played to wiin.

mora was nothing more than a rah-rah cheerleader. did he get hired for any of this year's vacancies? did he even get interviewed? (i think he may have gotten an interview, come to think of it).

scenario: mora doesn't get fired.

schaub still gets traded.

ookie still foobars the team.

he wouldn't have fared any better.

he's still have meangelo and others running over him.

in his 3 years, mora's record was worse each year. (see sean payton)

it was time for a change. i think you should give bp the same 3 yrs you gave mr. fun coach before you draw conclusions.

are some of you guys serious on here? what do you mean all these ex college coaches. just about all of the coaches in the nfl have one time or another been college so that's a crazy statement. we have a good mix of coaches here.

you guys talk about coach petrino like he is some scrub but, he has nfl and college exprience. he is 3 as much more qualified than mora was when he took over this team. hue jackson our oc is a quality nfl coach and did wonders chad johnson and tj whoseyourmama. mike zimmer our dc is as good as they come and is consider one of the top coord in the league. we all know what he did for dallas for years.

coaches coach but players have to play. mad.gif

are some of you guys serious on here? what do you mean all these ex college coaches. just about all of the coaches in the nfl have one time or another been college so that's a crazy statement. we have a good mix of coaches here.

you guys talk about coach petrino like he is some scrub but, he has nfl and college exprience. he is 3 as much more qualified than mora was when he took over this team. hue jackson our oc is a quality nfl coach and did wonders chad johnson and tj whoseyourmama. mike zimmer our dc is as good as they come and is consider one of the top coord in the league. we all know what he did for dallas for years.

coaches coach but players have to play. mad.gif

true, we do have former nfl coordinators heading up our offense and defense. however both our line coaches are former college coaches, guys petrino brought with him from louisville. and petrino even has his brother in the coaching staff. his major qualification? he's the coaches' brother.

we had one of the best special teams coaches, a good kicker's coach, good o and d line coaches included in mora's staff, a good secondary coach, qb coach, and a prime d coordinator. mora's staff was eminently better qualified to coach in the nfl.

mora was nothing more than a rah-rah cheerleader. did he get hired for any of this year's vacancies? did he even get interviewed? (i think he may have gotten an interview, come to think of it).

scenario: mora doesn't get fired.

schaub still gets traded.

ookie still foobars the team.

he wouldn't have fared any better.

he's still have meangelo and others running over him.

j. webster gets burnt every time a qb throws at him

norwood still never sees the field

in his 3 years, mora's record was worse each year. (see sean payton)

it was time for a change. i think you should give bp the same 3 yrs you gave mr. fun coach before you draw conclusions.

i added two for you

anyone who thogugh that this team was a few pieces after this year's draft was living on cloud cuckoo land.

we may have a had a good draft, but anyone knows that it takes at least 2-3years for draft picks to find their feet at this level and start to make a difference. it was clear that we we've had only a small nucleus of players in their prime, and were relying on too many rookies and declining - and in some cases completely weashed up - up vets (gandy, dunn, horn, grady, coleman, brooking, milloy) this year.

even after the draft, we still needed:-

2 or 3 ol

2 dl

1 rb

1 mlb

1 fs

1 cb

1 k

we were a 6-8 win team at best and that is before you factor in the inevitable dfficulties learning new offensive and defensive schemes.

**** fine post

why did the falcons fire jim mora, again...?

uhhhhh...............

1) because he was an idiot?

2) because he coddled the players?

3) because the players walked all over him?

4) because he didn't have a clue?

5) all of the above??

6) he practically begged to leave.

7) his sideline breakdowns were embarrassing.

8) losing was "fun".

9) he and his staff allowed a team to run 52 times with success.

10) our team was soft and inconsistent.

true, we do have former nfl coordinators heading up our offense and defense. however both our line coaches are former college coaches, guys petrino brought with him from louisville. and petrino even has his brother in the coaching staff. his major qualification? he's the coaches' brother.

we had one of the best special teams coaches, a good kicker's coach, good o and d line coaches included in mora's staff, a good secondary coach, qb coach, and a prime d coordinator. mora's staff was eminently better qualified to coach in the nfl.

why are you ripping on petrino's brother? roddy white is having a fantastic year. jenkins is showing that he is a dependable #2 receiver and laurent robinson has shown glimpses of his potential. our previous coaching staff was pathetic. look at how few of them have jobs after mora was fired....

why are you ripping on petrino's brother? roddy white is having a fantastic year. jenkins is showing that he is a dependable #2 receiver and laurent robinson has shown glimpses of his potential. our previous coaching staff was pathetic. look at how few of them have jobs after mora was fired....

i'm guessing a few wal-mart's around the country now have "fun" greeters. laugh.gif

you know, with most new nfl coaches, the players fall all over each other trying to prove themselves to the new staff. i believe that is part of the reason mora was successful in his first season, sean payton as well. our team, seems like they simply do not care, at all, for our new coaching staff, even to the extent of underperforming for them. is that the players or the coaches' fault?

then the coaches will go thru one more sad, sorry season not much better than this one, if its better at all...then those coaches will be gone, with a new batch of coaches coming in and, of course....needing totally different players than this staff here. the cycle will continue....

so the falcons will draft high for the forseeable future, the simple reason being that our team will be in transition over and over again. of course these players coming in will be rookies, so you cant depend on them for a couple seasons, right?

free agents will demand higher pay to come play for a losing team, and then they might or might not earn their money. looking at the past history of the falcons in free agency, i am not real encouraged. and remember veterans on the falcons right now are not petrino's biggest fans, so what veteran fa will want to come here to be coached by our current coaches?

to go from where we were, with high hopes of our team being in the elite of the nfl in the near future, to this....potential big time player turnover, coaches the fans and players have no faith in, and a team making more news off the field than on it...

why did the falcons fire jim mora, again...? long time fans remember the last winning coach the falcons had, he was fired in 1982. it only took 22 years to find another coach with a winning record with the falcons...and we just saw him get fired.

whats going on? how does this franchise right itself?

this is a sad but fairly accurate assesment of our state of affairs!

i believe to much emphasis is being placed on these things:

1. the draft...you are not going to fix this team with the draft, you might fix a position or two with the draft

2. i believe the coaches are preparing this team to play it is the players though who must play the game.

3. i believe canning a few of those older players is the way to go, maybe it will make the others realize they

are expendable.

4. i believe this game has become all about money, it's no longer pride of doing well and love of the sport.

5. i believe in giving someone a chance you can't judge anyones abilities in half a season give petrino a chance,

maybe he does know what he's doing.

i know most will disagree with me and that's ok but this is my opinion and with a dollar and my opinion we could get

a cheap cup of coffee and no refills.... laugh.gif

i believe to much emphasis is being placed on these things:

1. the draft...you are not going to fix this team with the draft, you might fix a position or two with the draft

2. i believe the coaches are preparing this team to play it is the players though who must play the game.

3. i believe canning a few of those older players is the way to go, maybe it will make the others realize they

are expendable.

4. i believe this game has become all about money, it's no longer pride of doing well and love of the sport.

5. i believe in giving someone a chance you can't judge anyones abilities in half a season give petrino a chance,

maybe he does know what he's doing.

i know most will disagree with me and that's ok but this is my opinion and with a dollar and my opinion we could get

a cheap cup of coffee and no refills.... laugh.gif

i disagree about #1. good teams are built via the draft rather than free agency. we also look set to have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds next year, so we'd better be able to fix more than "a position or two". the best way to build is to hoard draft pick and build for the long term via the draft - its the approach all of the top teams use. building via free agency is simply too expensive, as the redskins have shown.

i agree with your other points...