i miss rankin smith

you know what fullbacks do? right?

you're not a good fan for this team. scram!

they block and get first downs on short yardage plays. they should also be a pass threat in the flat if they are the highest paid fullback in the nfl. with dunn/norwood in the back a play action pass to crump should be money on first down. i should be saying a homerun to the endzone but weve got joey bag o' donuts as a qb. now maybe petrino didnt have anything to do with the schaub trade i dont know, but how could he have let his depth at qb get this bad. i dont want to hear about vick because we all know he would have been injured anyways and the backup would be in. who in their right mind says "hey! lets get that harrington kid! hes got savvy!"?

arthur blank is not a good owner for this team. bobby petrino is not a good coach for this team. ovie mugheilli is the highest paid fullback(only?) in the league and has carried the ball 3 times?

i believe that if the smiths were the owners we may have made a 2nd superbowl apperance, it took them a long time to get the 1st appearance but i think they have more experienced thanthe new owner. it may be 40 more years before the new owner gets enough experience to even think about a superbowl. heck we are on our 3rd coach in 5 yrs

i believe that if the smiths were the owners we may have made a 2nd superbowl apperance, it took them a long time to get the 1st appearance but i think they have more experienced thanthe new owner. it may be 40 more years before the new owner gets enough experience to even think about a superbowl. heck we are on our 3rd coach in 5 yrs

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif what on earth makes you think that we would have been to a superbowl post 1998? is it the fact that the smith family cared so much for the atlanta falcons that they sold the ######ing franchise!?!?!?!?!?!?!

sweet jesus! the things that get typed on this board.

they block and get first downs on short yardage plays. they should also be a pass threat in the flat if they are the highest paid fullback in the nfl. with dunn/norwood in the back a play action pass to crump should be money on first down. i should be saying a homerun to the endzone but weve got joey bag o' donuts as a qb. now maybe petrino didnt have anything to do with the schaub trade i dont know, but how could he have let his depth at qb get this bad. i dont want to hear about vick because we all know he would have been injured anyways and the backup would be in. who in their right mind says "hey! lets get that harrington kid! hes got savvy!"?

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif sweet jesus that was funny. laugh.gif

you do remember the falcons were one game away from sb a few years ago and blank did own them right?

joey a bag of donuts huh more like leftwich

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif what on earth makes you think that we would have been to a superbowl post 1998? is it the fact that the smith family cared so much for the atlanta falcons that they sold the ######ing franchise!?!?!?!?!?!?!

sweet jesus! the things that get typed on this board.

well to my way of thinking right or wrong they sold the falcons shortly after the superbowl apperance so im thinking that like in stock terms they are at there peak and will bring the family the most $$$$$$$$$$ so unload this bag of garbage.

they are like any business man in it for the $$$$$$$$$.

what makes you think that blank is going to do any better? lets see 3 coaches in 5 or 6 years . that says they arent making the right decisions confused on what needs to be done and gotten worse ever since laugh.giflaugh.gif

i personally think blank is 10x's the owner that the smith's were....blank has poured lots of $$$ and effort into this team. more so than the smith's ever did.

blank is not the problem.

i agree. and anyone who has been out to the flowery branch facility would agree aswell. it's not really a debate. how much did us making the super bowl in 98 really have to do with what the smith's did? they hired a retread coach, who put together a band of retread players that did their thing that year.

you cant say we got to the super bowl because of an influx of money that they put into the team or anything. blank had to build a facility and revamp the dome as soon as he bought the falcons.

wow, that's efficient ownership right there. it took the smith's how long? it took blank how long? laugh.gif

where are them falclowns now? on there way back to the late 60's record laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

imo they like a stock chart.

peaked and sold for a big profit and now back on there way to the cellar laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

for the fans its a long wait but for the winning smiths its extra $$$$$$$$$$$$ in the mattress laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

where are them falclowns now? on there way back to the late 60's record laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

imo they like a stock chart.

peaked and sold for a big profit and now back on there way to the cellar laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

for the fans its a long wait but for the winning smiths its extra $$$$$$$$$$$$ in the mattress laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

i'm just glad you don't own this team. look, the smith's were the ones who didn't care about winning, the fans, or anything but turning a buck and putting a barely mediocre product on the field for years.

at least blank came in and changed things around for the better. he dumped a truckload of money to do it and yeah sure he took a chance on mike vick and crapped out but at least he tried!

gimme a freaking break with this smith/blank thing. it's not even close. he won't tolerate this circus that's going on for too long either imo.

at least he never got into a warm and fuzzy relationship with any of his draft picks that led to this nonsense. rankin would also have fired petrino by now and hired dan reeves back.

the personal ranker reflected in the remark, doesn't justify my comment. put down the crack pipe, get the phone book, under doctors look for mental health. chose anyone and please make appointment asap! or if you have a job please call your local eap.

i'm just glad you don't own this team. look, the smith's were the ones who didn't care about winning, the fans, or anything but turning a buck and putting a barely mediocre product on the field for years.

at least blank came in and changed things around for the better. he dumped a truckload of money to do it and yeah sure he took a chance on mike vick and crapped out but at least he tried!

gimme a freaking break with this smith/blank thing. it's not even close. he won't tolerate this circus that's going on for too long either imo.

thats what he said earlier this year that 8-8 was unacceptable. so now accept 1-6 and hope for 3-13

the vick part you mentioned, im sure that brought much profit to the organization because of the excitement this 1 man brought. 1 man does not a team make but 1 man can bring alot of profit.

tell you what though i'll believe my lying eye over anything that is said so if what your saying is true then let the winning begin. action over words

thats what he said earlier this year that 8-8 was unacceptable. so now accept 1-6 and hope for 3-13

the vick part you mentioned, im sure that brought much profit to the organization because of the excitement this 1 man brought. 1 man does not a team make but 1 man can bring alot of profit.

tell you what though i'll believe my lying eye over anything that is said so if what your saying is true then let the winning begin. action over words

that's the tough part. it's going to take time. this franchise is in disarray and i'm not saying blank shares no blame because he does but i think he is committed to the concept of success and won't settle for less for long. that's all i'm saying.

they weren't called the clampetts for nothing laugh.gif

at least he never got into a warm and fuzzy relationship with any of his draft picks that led to this nonsense. rankin would also have fired petrino by now and hired dan reeves back.

i went back to the new york times archives and saw that rankin smith died the year before the falcons went to the super bowl. another interesting note from his obit:

"the team has had a less than stellar record. under mr. smith's ownership, the team won one division title, in 1980, and made it to the playoffs five times. before last night's game against the carolina panthers in charlotte, n.c., the falcons were 1-6 this season under the new coach, dan reeves."

note: one division title and 5 playoff appearances in 30 odd years. in five years arthur blank has one division title (losing in the nfc conference championship game) and one wildcard appearance. smith went twelve years before getting the falcons to the playoffs.

another point to note:the falcons were 1-6 in late october under a new head coach ten years ago. the next year they went to the super bowl.

i never like the smiths and don't miss them one bit.