why did so many fans here want to fire jimmy johnson after his first year?

halsey

jimmy johnson went 1-15 in his first year as dallas hc. all these guys calling for petrino to be fired less than haflway into his first season would have been saying the same thing about johnson. laugh.giflaugh.gif

^the truth

the owner of the falcons gave the impression that this would be a better team this year than last at least thats the way i took it and that he expected instant success. not even close. i think the fans expected progress not regress.

at any rate the falcons history suggest they have always for the most part been losers. at least the cowboys have had a few superbowl apperances and wins.

try not to confuse the difference in the 2 franchises and there history

i agree expectations were way to high and there is no coach in the world who could come into this situation with the falcons and be successful their first year its just unrealistic to think that one man could have such a profound impact on a team in his first year..wake up people we sucked when he got here its not like we were a playoff caliber team when petrino arrived..

the jimmy johnson comparison has been brought up a lot. it's been pointed out multiple times (as recently as earlier this afternoon) that jj had hw to trade.

so basically you're saying that jj had good players because of the walker trade. so then you agree it would be ******** to fire petrino beofre he even gets a chance to show what he can do with a halfway decent roster.

the owner of the falcons gave the impression that this would be a better team this year than last at least thats the way i took it and that he expected instant success. not even close. i think the fans expected progress not regress.

at any rate the falcons history suggest they have always for the most part been losers. at least the cowboys have had a few superbowl apperances and wins.

this is what happens when you lose ur only gamechanging or impact player. now we have no one anybody has to gameplan for. no big play wr, no rb who's going to carry the ball 30 times, no dt that breaks up plays, no te that dominates the red zone, or no kicker who can hit a 50 yrd field goal.

nobody knew the falcons would lose so many players including thier starting qb, both starting tackles and pro bowl te.

and nobody said a word about comparing organizations, tard.

dallas was also a winning organization with a winning tradition. the falcons are a losing organization with a losing tradition. there is no comparison between dallas and atlanta.

i'm comparing the position 2 coaches are in, not 2 organizations. take a break from being dumb for a minute and try actually reading.

so basically you're saying that jj had good players because of the walker trade. so then you agree it would be ******** to fire petrino beofre he even gets a chance to show what he can do with a halfway decent roster.

i'm just saying that to compare bp to jimmy johnson just because they had horrible 1st seasons doesn't make sense. jj had advantages bp doesn't have. ....i don't know if bp should be fired or not. probably not. but i just know i'm ######ed about grady getting cut.

for the last time, johnson had hershel walker to trade for a boatload of draft picks. petrino doesn't. you can find an exception to every rule. fact remains not all coaches who have terrible first seasons turn into superbowl-winners.

did johnson start all those picks when he won a superbowl? no i think not, its irrelevent. fact remains a college coach can come in and win a superbowl, period!!!

i agree expectations were way to high and there is no coach in the world who could come into this situation with the falcons and be successful their first year its just unrealistic to think that one man could have such a profound impact on a team in his first year..wake up people we sucked when he got here its not like we were a playoff caliber team when petrino arrived..

we were a playoff caliber team before ykw got caught. but that's in the past.

people are calling for petrino to be fired because of:

1. play calling in the redzone

2. game management

3. losing the locker room

4. resting guys for 2008

i'm comparing the position 2 coaches are in, not 2 organizations. take a break from being dumb for a minute and try actually reading.

the two are not mutually exclusive. you can't separate the coach from the organization.

there is never an excuse for losing yet fans here and this organization always seem to have one.

the patriots can transplant players from wr to cb and still win. its amazing what a well ran, good coach and organization can do.

did johnson start all those picks when he won a superbowl? no i think not, its irrelevent. fact remains a college coach can come in and win a superbowl, period!!!

irrelevant? i think not. those picks helped rebuild their team. and no one is saying a college coach can't be successfull in the nfl. but the fact is most of them fail big time.

halsey.....why not point out bill parcell's record as well?(like i did in the first thread)

you can't even stick to a consistent point. in one thread you'll state the falcons don't have enough talent without vick and in the next you expect petrino to will the team to victory with what he's left with. laugh.gif