jackson� s release met with skepticism

!owahorse

jackson s release met with skepticism

by steve wyche | wednesday, october 24, 2007, 03:05 pm

the atlanta journal-constitution

to say that the release of veteran nose tackle grady jackson didn t go over well with some of the falcons veterans is an understatement.

several players either declined comment or would not speak on the record but the gist of most of what they said privately was that the move validated tight end alge crumpler s claim of a phasing out of the veterans.

some players did speak, though, and one, cornerback deangelo hall, went off.

hall said it s clear that the veteran players are being pushed aside. he claimed that jackson s release was asinine, and that it s difficult to play hard for a team when everyone but the players isn t completely on board. some of his comments are online at ajc.com.

hall said that if jackson s release was solely for football reasons, as coach bobby petrino said, then the whole roster should be released since the 1-6 record proves nobody is doing their jobs well enough.

tailback warrick dunn said players are now wondering who s next on the chopping block.

what s bothersome to some players is clearly a lack of communication. some of them wanted to hear from the coaching staff why jackson was released but they were not told. others would like to know if a veteran purge is underway.

ownership, management and coaches don t have to explain themselves about anything. they are in charge and they expect players to perform as professionals as long as they are getting paid handsomely to do so. petrino said he did not expect any negative backlash over jackson s release. petrino has shown not to be bothered much by how players feel about him, either.

the rawness of emotion will probably wear off during the bye week but there is a connection that seemingly has been severed - not among players - that could make the final nine games for a team already among the nfl s worst, a rough ride.

ownership, management and coaches don t have to explain themselves about anything. they are in charge and they expect players to perform as professionals as long as they are getting paid handsomely to do so. petrino said he did not expect any negative backlash over jackson s release. petrino has shown not to be bothered much by how players feel about him, either.

if these guys haven't realized it yet, the nfl is a business.

the falcons aren't a safe haven for lackluster players, it shouldn't be anyway.

if these guys haven't realized it yet, the nfl is a business.

the falcons aren't a safe haven for lackluster players, it shouldn't be anyway.

thank you. there is some sense on this board after all.

all off season everyone was crying about mora, "we don't need a coach to be the player's friends. we need a disciplinarian." now we got one.

besides, this is not a democracy.

listening to chris mortensen this morning, he stated that blank hired petrino with a purpose to get this team to perform and petrino is the guy he felt would be much like belichek. the philosophy is, get on with the program, or go. he emphasized that belichek has acheived success with a roster full of low cost, no named players who buy in to the program and perform. that's what he perceives petrino doing here.

slightly different version of the same story...some direct quotes from hall

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/f...dhall_1024.html

e-mail print reprints

facebook digg del.icio.us newsvine reddit

ajc.com > sports > falcons

hall enraged by jackson's dismissal

cornerback calls decision to cut dt 'ludicrous'

by steve wyche

the atlanta journal-constitution

published on: 10/24/07

flowery branch news of the decision to cut grady jackson did not go over well in the falcons locker room. several veterans refused comment on the release of the defensive lineman, who had started 22 of 23 games.

one player that did not withhold comment was deangelo hall.

your turn

is falcons cornerback deangelo hall justified in questioning the way the team's being coached?

yes.

no.

voter limit: once per hour

view poll results

related stories

* hall enraged by jackson's dismissal

* falcons cut veteran tackle jackson

* falcons' ot foster out for year

" more falcons

"i don't know what kind of message it sent to let grady go," hall said wednesday. "coach [bobby petrino] didn't address anything with us. you guys probably know more than we know. you guys just talked to him. we don't know nothing. we're going to have to wait and read what y'all put out. we had a team meeting today, kind of thought the team meeting was to talk about that; didn't say one word about it. had a defensive meeting, didn't talk one word about it. had practice, broke down practice, didn't talk one word about it.

"we kind of don't know what the reason was, why, what's the next step.we don't know anything. i'm going to read your article tomorrow and see what he had to say."

when hall was told petrino said the move was a football decision, he responded: "if that's the case they need to cut about 52 [players], they can cut me too, they can cut all 53 of us. ain't nobody playing the way they should be playing right now. obviously. we're 1-6. to single out grady is asinine. it's ridiculous. we got so many players that haven't made a play around here. it don't make no sense. we gave a lot of people jobs. to sit there and single grady out and say that's the reason why, that's ludicrous. if you've got something else better and more concrete to go off of, i'd love to hear it. i'm not buying that one."

other highlights from hall's interview:

" on alge crumpler's remarks earlier this season that the falcons are minimizing the roles of veteran players: "we all that are in this locker room, we felt what alge was saying and we kind of agree with him. obviously, we don't think that was the right way to go about it, but we pretty much agree with alge was saying."

" on the coaching staff: it's tough to go out there and lay it on the line when you feel as though no one else is laying it on the line. as far as not players, obviously the players are going to play as hard as they can. when you feel like you're not getting i don't want to say coached 100 percent maybe they are thinking of something else. it's kind of hard for other guys to play 100 percent ... knowing that everyone's not on board, from the front office on down.

" on his future: "i didn't just sign a lucrative deal where i can sit around and watch this ship sink. i can't do that. i got one more year left on my deal. i feel i can go out and get a ton of money, whether it's here or somewhere else."

this all stems from the previous regime. mckay and blank are also responsible for this. everyone in this organization has been coddled for the last couple years. and a lot of players don't like how they are being treated now. i don't see the falcons cutting dunn this season only because we really don't have too many options behind him and we are already paying him to begin with. you will probably see norwood getting more and more carries, but the guy has to learn how to pick up a blitz. in limited action, i have seen him whiff numerous times on a linebacker blitz.

listening to chris mortensen this morning, he stated that blank hired petrino with a purpose to get this team to perform and petrino is the guy he felt would be much like belichek. the philosophy is, get on with the program, or go. he emphasized that belichek has acheived success with a roster full of low cost, no named players who buy in to the program and perform. that's what he perceives petrino doing here.

good for belichek, but just because someone else hatched an egg don't mean we can too. that's just too far fetched in odds to use as an example esp. from a 1st year coach. besides, belichek was no great whizzing wonder before he got/had to get brady started.