the legend about lack of first rounders in the falcons o-line

heretic

patriots depth chart

lt matt light year:2001 round:2 pick:17

lg logan mankins year:2005 round:1 pick:32

c dan koppen year:2003 round:5 pick:29

rg stephen neal year: 2001 undrafted free agent

rt nick kaczur year:2005 round:3 pick:36

no pick in top 30 for the o-line of the team which will probably break dozens of passing records this season....

i found it pretty interesting....

edited:

p.s. the colts are even worse

colts depth chart:

lt tony ugoh year 2007: round 2 (42 overall)

lg ryan lilja year 2004: udrafted free agent

c jeff saturday year 1998: undrafted free agent

rg jake scott year:2004 round:5 pick:9

rt ryan diem year:2001 round:4 pick:23

thier highest pick was ugoh and we could have picked him....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that looks like 3 first day picks and one 1st round pick to me... we haven't had a 1st round ol pick in 15 years. i don't think we have any first day ol picks right now... gandy was 1st round by someone else, but now he's gone, so...

when was blalock drafted?

on friday?

i've brought this up several times. the pats, colts and cowboys have one first round tackle between them, and that tackle was drafted at the end of the first round (29th). you don't have to draft a tackle in the top five to get a franchise tackle. i would love for us to trade down to about 12-15 and pick up cherilus. he's gonna be a great one. we'd have cherilus plus two more first day picks instead of long, who isn't much better than cherilus.

patriots depth chart

lt matt light year:2001 round:2 pick:17

lg logan mankins year:2005 round:1 pick:32

c dan koppen year:2003 round:5 pick:29

rg stephen neal year: 2001 undrafted free agent

rt nick kaczur year:2005 round:3 pick:36

no pick in top 30 for the o-line of the team which will probably break dozens of passing records this season....

i found it pretty interesting....

how many other great offensive lines have no first round talent.

brady himself was a 6th rounder.

people need to stop pointing out a phenomena as gospel.

when are people going to realize that all the o-lineman we have besides blaylock were drafted specifically for the zone blocking scheme that alex gibbs ran. by the way those guy did very well in that system as it is well documented that we lead the league in rushing for three years. they were not drafted for their ablility to pass block. mckay drafted what the former coaching staff wanted - hello!!!!!!! now we have totally changed the scheme - there's a learning curve for that. not to mention that we don't have the people we want in there - we'll have to rebuild our o-line. it takes time for that - a couple of years probably - especially with everything else we need qb, rb, etc...

drafting long with our first pick would be a mistake. we aren't ready to contend and we need a playmakes to build the offense around. we can pick up good linemen in fa this year (starks, faneca etc) but we can't pick up a franchise qb. we need a qb to build around. woodson is that guy imo if we can't trade down.

draft woodson, draft a lt at the top of the second, draft james davis with the other second rounder, sign starks.

2nd round. we have 0 first round players on our o-line right now.

just like the colts?

colts depth chart:

drafting long with our first pick would be a mistake. we aren't ready to contend and we need a playmakes to build the offense around. we can pick up good linemen in fa this year (starks, faneca etc) but we can't pick up a franchise qb. we need a qb to build around. woodson is that guy imo if we can't trade down.

draft woodson, draft a lt at the top of the second, draft james davis with the other second rounder, sign starks.

drafting woodson with our first pick would be a mistake. we aren't ready to contend because we can't protect anyone holding the football and we need bodies that can block. we can pick up good qb in fa this year (mcnabb, derek anderson) but we can't pick up a franchise lt.

draft long, draft a qb at the top of the second,...

um. you build a team around the line. not around playmakers. we have playmakers. we dont have a solid core on offense. we have guys who can make plays. that's not enough.

i dont think anyone is arguing that we need 5 first round picks on the oline. but talent and size would be nice.

i dont know why you would use the pats as your example either. they have 3 first day picks on their ol. that's what we need to do. spend some first day picks on ol.

i bet the colts have the same problem...

colts depth chart:

when are people going to realize that all the o-lineman we have besides blaylock were drafted specifically for the zone blocking scheme that alex gibbs ran. by the way those guy did very well in that system as it is well documented that we lead the league in rushing for three years. they were not drafted for their ablility to pass block. mckay drafted what the former coaching staff wanted - hello!!!!!!! now we have totally changed the scheme - there's a learning curve for that. not to mention that we don't have the people we want in there - we'll have to rebuild our o-line. it takes time for that - a couple of years probably - especially with everything else we need qb, rb, etc...

i disagree. todd weiner, forney, and mcclure are all dan reeves picks/free agents signings, and alex gibbs didn't become ol coach until 2004.