so isn't petrino losing with mora's players? wasn't mora winning with reeves' players in 2004?

halsey

why is it with this fanbase that if a coach wins in his first year he's "winning with the last coach's players", but it doesn't work the other way? laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

i guess with atlanta fans that thinking only applies when it speaks negatively on the latest head scapegoat errr coach.

the falcons made only moves that were viable this year.

they traded schaub for picks (b4 ykw was ykw)they drafted

need players on both sides of the ball (a great draft imo).

the falcons knew they were rebuilding before many of us on this

board even conceived it.ykw has basically just added another element to

be addressed.

bp will right the ship!!

get rid of the cutblockin quick thins and replace w/ oaktrees.

get rid of players who don't/won't see the forest thru the trees about

this system.

i am impressed so far w/ the decision making and imo it will pay off.

it's not a matter of people in atlanta loving to complain. we are just tired of our team not winning a superbowl, **** we have a hard time getting above .500. every year it's something. too many injuries on the defense, o-line sucking, receivers dropping pass, quarterback going to jail, i could go on.

why is it with this fanbase that if a coach wins in his first year he's "winning with the last coach's players", but it doesn't work the other way? laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

i guess with atlanta fans that thinking only applies when it speaks negatively on the latest head scapegoat errr coach.

exactly, these aren't petrino's guys.

the way i remember it, reeves was building an ol with the same philosophy as denver. he did not have alex gibbs at that time, but he brought some guy out of the college ranks that used a form of the alex gibbs' zone blocking. the emphasis was on smaller, quicker ol's. the ol did a decent but not great job with the hybrid system under the new ol coach. i don't remember his name, but he was the hc of a ne college team (brown?).

as you remember, jamal anderson was what made the ol work. once he was injured, the rushing offense suffered and the entire offense basically collapsed. vick came along and was able to alter the circumstances with his legs. ultimately, the reliance on vick's legs doomed the offense.

when mora came aboard, he was able to hire alex gibbs and little retooling of the ol was needed. the overall offensive system changed to a wco but the ol needed little adjustments. the full zone blocking style was used. statistical success quickly followed, but the falcons continued to have problems scoring. if we didn't score from outside the red zone, chances were that we were not going to get our 6.

the ignored problem was the ol. there was little or no push provided by the little guys up front. the falcons relied heavily on misdirection plays and the constant threat of vick's legs. unfortunately, the coaches could not risk subjecting vick to regular use in the red zone for fear of injury. defenses quickly learned that with a compressed field (inside the red zone), they could shut down runs by gap control. eight in the box was not needed, so plenty of defenders could crowd the secondary to prevent passing td's.

the offensive system was not flawed, the ol simply could not get the job done. alex gibbs and co. received credit for racking up tons of rushing yards. gibbs was basically a star and a czar on the team and no one dared challenge him on his ol choices. he felt good about himself and any criticism of the offense went to knapp and his lightening rod qb.

in comes petrino, and gibbs runs for the hills. suddenly, the ol is exposed for what it is....weak. petrino announces that he has to change the ol personel. no one is upset, afer all, we still had vick and his legs. surely vick's mobility could put a shine on whatever problems the ol would have during its transition. but alas, vick got caught and the rest is history.

so here we are, holding the bag of dung and trying to sell it to the masses. petrino has a huge job ahead of him. the personel moves and x's and o's are the easy part. a couple of decent drafts wil take care of the personel changes. the hard part is keeping his team together and weathering this storm. short sided fans will moan. the racists (on both sides), will scream and insist that their colored qb is better. all the while, petrino has to stand steady and guide the ship out of this most murky and dire strait.

i am not a linguist but i believe the name "petrino", in italian, translates to "little rock." well, the coach has to be like a rock to handle the next three seasons.

the way i remember it, reeves was building an ol with the same philosophy as denver. he did not have alex gibbs at that time, but he brought some guy out of the college ranks that used a form of the alex gibbs' zone blocking. the emphasis was on smaller, quicker ol's. the ol did a decent but not great job with the hybrid system under the new ol coach. i don't remember his name, but he was the hc of a ne college team (brown?).

as you remember, jamal anderson was what made the ol work. once he was injured, the rushing offense suffered and the entire offense basically collapsed. vick came along and was able to alter the circumstances with his legs. ultimately, the reliance on vick's legs doomed the offense.

when mora came aboard, he was able to hire alex gibbs and little retooling of the ol was needed. the overall offensive system changed to a wco but the ol needed little adjustments. the full zone blocking style was used. statistical success quickly followed, but the falcons continued to have problems scoring. if we didn't score from outside the red zone, chances were that we were not going to get our 6.

the ignored problem was the ol. there was little or no push provided by the little guys up front. the falcons relied heavily on misdirection plays and the constant threat of vick's legs. unfortunately, the coaches could not risk subjecting vick to regular use in the red zone for fear of injury. defenses quickly learned that with a compressed field (inside the red zone), they could shut down runs by gap control. eight in the box was not needed, so plenty of defenders could crowd the secondary to prevent passing td's.

the offensive system was not flawed, the ol simply could not get the job done. alex gibbs and co. received credit for racking up tons of rushing yards. gibbs was basically a star and a czar on the team and no one dared challenge him on his ol choices. he felt good about himself and any criticism of the offense went to knapp and his lightening rod qb.

in comes petrino, and gibbs runs for the hills. suddenly, the ol is exposed for what it is....weak. petrino announces that he has to change the ol personel. no one is upset, afer all, we still had vick and his legs. surely vick's mobility could put a shine on whatever problems the ol would have during its transition. but alas, vick got caught and the rest is history.

so here we are, holding the bag of dung and trying to sell it to the masses. petrino has a huge job ahead of him. the personel moves and x's and o's are the easy part. a couple of decent drafts wil take care of the personel changes. the hard part is keeping his team together and weathering this storm. short sided fans will moan. the racists (on both sides), will scream and insist that their colored qb is better. all the while, petrino has to stand steady and guide the ship out of this most murky and dire strait.

i am not a linguist but i believe the name "petrino", in italian, translates to "little rock." well, the coach has to be like a rock to handle the next three seasons.

good assessment of the situation.

here's my thing. say what you want to about gibbs but he took the same players that we have now and made them productive. their pass blocking ability has always sucked but now they can't run or pass block.

with gibbs you at least had a proven nfl track record.

you don't have that with petrino. as a matter of fact no one can say for sure if he'll be here next year.

petrino, "let me see. i can stay with the falcons, rebuild the team, and deal with pre-madonna nfl players.

or i could be the head coach of michigan or possibly lsu and win right away and be loaded with talent."

i don't trust petrinio to ride it out. i see him pulling a saban...

well i give petrino a pass this year, but i kinda surprised we haven't won more games, but also bolstered by the knowledge that most of them were very close.

i think with a better o-line in here this team could be much better very quickly. we also don't know what to do with qb as neither harrington (not enough deep passing threat), nor leftwich (too brittle) appear to be the answer at qb.

it will be a wild roller coaster around here the next couple years. i just hope petrino is the answer as we give him free rein to experiment with yet another "system."

you know i have also been a little criticle od bp but you do have to remember that this whole offense was being buit around one player.the lighter ,faster linemen was aquired to help mv get further into the secondary with the zone-blocking on bootlegs.its going to be a helluva cleansing this off-season.we started last year by getting rid of matt lehr and drafting justin blaylock.i know hes stuggling but whow many ol-man do uou know that dont.remember winston justice.i remember alot of people on this board screaming for him 2 years ago and he got owned by the giants.give it time people.miracles dont happen overnight. biggrin.gif

i for one think that mora did when with reeve's guys. the problem is, mora cut some of the reeves crew that i liked. and he left a completely undisciplined team, full of whiners.

but outside of grady. alot of players who arent producing, are old players left over from the reeves era. brook, dunn, mcclure, weiner, forney, crump etc.

so much of a problem with the mora regime was that everything was a bandaid, and most of it was just covered up with "rah, rah" bs.