chris mortensen on 680 this morning

first, he said leftwich is undergoing surgery this morning to repair ligaments that have been stretched. the surgeon reattaches them with screws and recovery time is about 10 days. this surgery will make the ankle stronger.

grady jackson - stated zimmer was unhappy with his play and his inability to tie up two blockers on the los. grady would try to make plays instead of the desired effect to get in the way, thus allowing lbs to make plays.

first, he said leftwich is undergoing surgery this morning to repair ligaments that have been stretched. the surgeon reattaches them with screws and recovery time is about 10 days. this surgery will make the ankle stronger.

grady jackson - stated zimmer was unhappy with his play and his inability to tie up two blockers on the los. grady would try to make plays instead of the desired effect to get in the way, thus allowing lbs to make plays.

if someone in the falcons organization leaked this info that's just low class. you don't fire someone and criticize them after you've fired them.

if someone in the falcons organization leaked this info that's just low class. you don't fire someone and criticize them after you've fired them.

could you give me an example of what the organization has done that has been high class so that i can have a point of reference? thanks. it just seems to me that all of the bull blank has spewed on the local stations is looking more and more like ken lay telling enron employees to hold on to their stock.

if that is the case why havent we released that sanders liablity. he costs the team more first downs..omg zimmer is trying to save his a@@ is all. grady is a beast that is proven and the fo is screwing up another season.

i believe he said that grady said that.

the falcons' assistant gm said the same thing on mayhem in the am this morning. he said that grady refused to play "the scheme" and was instead trying to make "highlight plays" by tackling in the backfield. and that while he sometimes did make those plays, more often than not he was out of place, and allowed a run play to progress further than it should have had he played "the scheme".

interesting that this is the case. if grady is getting into the backfield making plays then he will command double teams. you need his disruption to mess up offensive plays. man i just don't like this at all. however, i can tell that this is a new falcons team than what we had. maybe when the dust settles and we have an team filled with new faces we can see some desired result.

almost seems like this was the plan from the start. whose next?

i remember when dan reeves was interviewed about the signing of grady last season that he was suprised at the move that he did not have a high opinion of grady as a run-stuffer. dan said when he coached and played a line with grady on it that he would run at grady because he could often be blocked and caused problems for the rest of the defense by getting in other defenders way.

dan's comments at the time confused me. i guess dan knew what he was talking about.

well it makes sense if grady wasn't following the schemes and doing what he's supposed to do, but that doesn't mean that you just cut him. the way to fix this problem is to sit him for a game or so, or move him down in the depth chart, not kick him off the team. our dt position is weak in that it gets injured a lot. remember the beginning of the year where babineaux and coleman were out? there's no reason to get rid of a decent player when he can definitely add depth to that position. plus, you could always use grady for situational downs like goal-line or or 3rd and 1.

i remember when dan reeves was interviewed about the signing of grady last season that he was suprised at the move that he did not have a high opinion of grady as a run-stuffer. dan said when he coached and played a line with grady on it that he would run at grady because he could often be blocked and caused problems for the rest of the defense by getting in other defenders way.

dan's comments at the time confused me. i guess dan knew what he was talking about.

be that as it may (dan's comments) our run defense statistics showed considerable improvement when grady came along.

while i know folks are enamored by his size, ol' grady hasnt shown a lot this year. in fact, trey lewis and stanley have looked a lot better. good riddance fat man

or could he have been trying to offer an explanation to a stunned fan base?

trust me, between the atlanta media and some of our fans, the speculation being reported as fact would have gotten to insane levels. people have already been stating that petrino fired him so he could go younger, petrino planned to throw the season for the draft pick, and on and on.

if you are looking for low class, you might want to look somewhere other than the orginization.

interesting that this is the case. if grady is getting into the backfield making plays then he will command double teams. you need his disruption to mess up offensive plays. man i just don't like this at all. however, i can tell that this is a new falcons team than what we had. maybe when the dust settles and we have an team filled with new faces we can see some desired result.

almost seems like this was the plan from the start. whose next?

he'd get double teamed, but he wasn't commanding them. he'd be out of position, get doubled and moved out of the way, then either the center or guard would peel off and block a lb or safety for a big run. then he'd tire out and be ineffective in the second half. the run defense never really improved with him on the field.

the falcons' assistant gm said the same thing on mayhem in the am this morning. he said that grady refused to play "the scheme" and was instead trying to make "highlight plays" by tackling in the backfield. and that while he sometimes did make those plays, more often than not he was out of place, and allowed a run play to progress further than it should have had he played "the scheme".

more unwillingness by vets to conform. dry.gif man, i'm tired of hearing about this.

a good enough reason to let his big butt go.

if that is the case why havent we released that sanders liablity. he costs the team more first downs..omg zimmer is trying to save his a@@ is all. grady is a beast that is proven and the fo is screwing up another season.

grady hasn't been all that this year. while he's been making an ocassional play here and there, more often than not, he gets stood up at the line and he's still standing there watching as the rb goes right by him. i have to also disagree about cutting him and screwing up another season. we have one win. we got that win with grady on the team. it's not like he's winning games for us, and there's not much of a season left to screw up. we'd have to run the table and get some help at this point to get into the playoffs imho.

the way to fix this problem is to sit him for a game or so, or move him down in the depth chart, not kick him off the team.

i guess someone or a bunch of someone's on the staff doesn't agree with you. personally, i think our best day against the run was when trey and jamaal played almost the entire game together about week 3 or 4 maybe. it was when babs got hurt. losing gravy-train isn't that big of a deal if you ask me. he certainly wasn't a playmaker or didn't shore up the los in short yardage or goal line situations. at least some of the times i referred to above about him getting stood up was inside the red zone.

losing grady isn't that big of a deal.

celtik

dumb move. it better work out! mad.gif

depends on what you mean by "work out".

if you mean we will get a better draft pick and give the younger dts more reps, then yes, it will work out.

if you mean we will have a better run defense in the remaining games we play this season, then no, it will not work out.