we already have a great back: his name is norwood

benb123

why should the falcons worry about having to get another rb? we have much more pressing needs than that. yes dunn should and will be cut leaving norwood as our number 1 back. we can fill a need for a backup rb in the second day of the draft. so norwood is not huge but everytime he gets a chance to get touches he makes plays. the guy is a threat to go all the way at any time. there are very few backs with that explosiveness, in fact he may be the fastest or close to it of all the backs in the nfl. also he doesn't fumble and seems to be durable. we should trade down if it all possible and try to get two picks in the first round. if we can't get another first round pick we should take the best available player which very well be a running back like mcfadden. hopefully we can trade down though. like i said norwood is a great back that makes plays even though we have a woefully inadequate ol and dunn unfortuntely gets equal playing time.

i'd rather not go rb early in the draft...period. norwood has game changing ability every time he touches the rock. this o line isnt creating holes to run through consistently...period. fix the o line and their run blocking ability, and he will produce. look at o line and qb before you do rb in the draft.

i'd rather not go rb early in the draft...period. norwood has game changing ability every time he touches the rock. this o line isnt creating holes to run through consistently...period. fix the o line and their run blocking ability, and he will produce. look at o line and qb before you do rb in the draft.

bump this.

i agree, i think norwood is as shifty and elusive as adrian peterson (although a little less physical). if we could block and get norwood into the 2nd and 3rd level of the defense like the vikings do for ap then norwood might go nuts (we very rarely are able to do that right now).

he`s **** sure shown us what he can do if the blocking is there...i think he reads his blocks very well!

that is a bunch of bull most teams don't split time at running back like we do. you have some situational substitutions but nothing like the falcons. we should be able to get a very capable 2nd string rb back without having to use a high pick on him.

norwood is young, fast, talented and can break tackles at will in the open field. unfortunately in 3rd and short situations he just isn't built for bruising it up the middle. we need a guy that can shift the pile an extra yard or so.

he most definitely can do it. tiki barber did it, and they were about the same size. thing is, ny o line created push, ours is getting pushed back.

i agree, i think norwood is as shifty and elusive as adrian peterson (although a little less physical). if we could block and get norwood into the 2nd and 3rd level of the defense like the vikings do for ap then norwood might go nuts (we very rarely are able to do that right now).

only a little less physical? have you seen much of peterson outside of our vikings game? i like norwood and all but to say he's only a little less physical than peterson is an understatement.

i suppose he's only a little less physical than marion barber too right?

the only thing i'd say is... how do we know he's a great back? he's a good change of pace back, but, will he still be great when he gets 20-carries per game? all we've seen of him are those long td runs but we can't be sure he'll really be great until we see him as a feature back... in saying that, we can sign a second rb, no need to draft one with so many ol problems.

so what i would do, is start norwood. period. see what he can do with, like you said, 20+ carries a game. problem is, they havent had many games where dunn and norwood combined for 20+ carries. start norwood, give him the lion's share of carries, and evaluate from their. our o line needs and new lack of o line depth is appalling. that needs to be addressed first and foremost.

running the football in open space isn't the only job of an nfl running back. they have to also be able to read defenses and know where the blitz is coming from to make the passing game effective. sometimes you need that same rb to attack the line of scrimmage to keep the linebackers honest and not committed to dropping back in the shallow zone. you also need that same rb to break off a route to allow the qb an outlet on a busted play.

i hate to say it and feel free to flame away but....... norwood's long legs and short upper body keeps blocking from coming natural. he will have to work hard to overcome these leverage issues to be an every down back at the nfl level.

the reason norwood doesn't get as many snaps as you would like him to get is because he isn't a complete back. granted, behind our our rickety line walter payton would look like a scrub, but we need more of a prototype bruiser to keep the chains moving.

michael turner in free agency would be perfect in my opinion.

and when norwood gets knocked out of a game and we have no one to turn to, the fire rich mckay idiots will be out in full force. the team is weak up the middle. rb, qb, c, ng, mlb, and s. we will see new players at each position next year. believe it.

well i don't believe it. maybe new starters at some of these positions but certainly not all. any player can get knocked out of a game so should we replace every starter because he might get "knocked out of a game"? we should get another back but we should'nt break the bank in fa or use a high draft pick. like i said if we can't trade down and get two good number 1 pics and mcfadden is there and he is the best available player perhaps we should take a him but otherwise we can address our other pressing needs first.

well i don't believe it. maybe new starters at some of these positions but certainly not all. any player can get knocked out of a game so should we replace every starter because he might get "knocked out of a game"? we should get another back but we should'nt break the bank in fa or use a high draft pick. like i said if we can't trade down and get two good number 1 pics and mcfadden is there and he is the best available player perhaps we should take a him but otherwise we can address our other pressing needs first.

mcfadden will be the #1 pick in the draft. whoever has that pick will pick mcfadden or trade the pick but mcfadden will go #1. you can not trade down unless you trade down to #1. do you know anythign? mcfadden is the #1 player drafted next year. period. get it threw your thick head geeze man.

d. mcfadden is the answer. end of story. period. norwood is nothing more than a change of pace back and kickoff returner. thank god we have professional coaches and myself that realize this and not the nuts blink.gif in here that think norwood is the answer.

dmc may be a great back but we are not a great team. rb is not a great need for us we have huge needs at many positions. do you understand. i'm typing slowly for you so you will. to rectify this we need to try to amass as many picks as we can. we will in all likelihood have a high number one if we can package this we can trade down and amass picks and fill holes. norwood has shown much more talent than being a change of pace back and kickoff returner whether you want to admit it or not. there are a lot of talented running backs if we can build a very good ol we can find backs that can run through holes. if we can't get a good trade down we probably should take the best player available and that may be mcfadden but we still will have those unfilled needs at our other positions.

mcfadden will be the #1 pick in the draft. whoever has that pick will pick mcfadden or trade the pick but mcfadden will go #1. you can not trade down unless you trade down to #1. do you know anythign? mcfadden is the #1 player drafted next year. period. get it threw your thick head geeze man.

first of all, idiot, your premise that dmc will be the number one number one is pure conjecture and not a given. secondly we can't afford to waste picks in a trade to move down, we have too many needs. i know its hard but try to use your brain properly.

dmc may be a great back but we are not a great team. rb is not a great need for us we have huge needs at many positions. do you understand. i'm typing slowly for you so you will. to rectify this we need to try to amass as many picks as we can. we will in all likelihood have a high number one if we can package this we can trade down and amass picks and fill holes. norwood has shown much more talent than being a change of pace back and kickoff returner whether you want to admit it or not. there are a lot of talented running backs if we can build a very good ol we can find backs that can run through holes. if we can't get a good trade down we probably should take the best player available and that may be mcfadden but we still will have those unfilled needs at our other positions.

mcfadden will be the #1 overall pick in the draft. i dont know who will have that pick but mcfadden will be the #1 overall pick. if the falcons dont have the #1 overall pick, we will not be able to get him, but if we do have the #1 overall pick you can bet your last dollar we will pick him with our first pick. be back here on draft day read this post and stop being so thick about this. smile.gif